Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important to Cover Machine? >

How Important to Cover Machine?

How Important to Cover Machine?

Old 01-25-2016, 04:28 AM

I never cover my most used machine or serger except when transporting them. It encourages me to sew for a few open minutes-which I wouldn't do if I had to unpack it. If I was going to away for awhile, I would put it all away 'properly'.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 AM

I have to cover my machines when not in use, as I have one cat that likes to get ahold of any thread he can find and start pulling. Wouldn't care, but don't want or need a very pricey vet bill
Old 01-25-2016, 04:55 AM

Hi and welcome. I keep my machine covered when not in use as we run a wood stove and it gets VERY dusty. Like someone else said, some houses are more dusty than others. Mine is probably the worst! Also, as someone else said you will find a wealth of information on this board.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I cover mine because I have small grands that love to turn knobs. LOL
Old 01-25-2016, 07:15 AM

The only machine I keep set up and covered is my embroidery machine, and only because I often go 6 months or more without using it. It's too big to easily store or else I'd just put it away somewhere between uses; instead I keep it out. I use the plastic cover it came with but I keep thinking I'll make one for it someday. (So far, hasn't happened)

I have 20+ machines, because I can't pass up a cool vintage machine. If a machine is set up for use, I don't generally cover it. My Janome 6600 is always set up and uncovered, and I usually have 2-3 vintage machines set up for use too, uncovered. If a machine is put away I put it in a case or bag, so I suppose that counts as a cover. I have a couple of my favorite vintage machines on display, those aren't covered. I tend to use and fiddle with them often enough that they don't get TOO dusty. I have sewing friends that come over and help me keep the herd exercised too (which is why I keep extra machines set up and ready to go.)

I love the looks of my vintage machines too much to hide them all under covers.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 AM

I rarely cover mine because I tend to forget.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I do think it is important to keep the machine cover when not in use. Guys cover there cars to protect their vehicle and we should protect what is valuable to us.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina has sat uncovered for the last 15 years. It is however plugged into a serge protector. I only unplug my machines if I won't be sewing for a week or so or if there is a large thunderstorm in my area. I am a rebel I guess.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 AM

I have my 6600 on a battery backup/surge protector, but I don't worry about it for my vintage machines since they don't have the computer brains. This reminds me that my Embroidery machine is left plugged in, though. It's on a surge protector but not a very high quality one, I should unplug it.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 AM

I made a simple quilted cover to slip over it when I'm not using it. The hard-shell one it came with is in the back closet!