Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Important to Cover Machine? >

How Important to Cover Machine?

How Important to Cover Machine?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 AM

There's a lot of response here and I haven't read to the end. Adding my comment though. I don't cover mine. If my Janome gets dusty, I wipe it off. Have had it a lot of years and it's doing well--but then I use it several times a week. As to oiling--be sure you read the instructions with your machine. Most computerized machines do not need oiling and you may create a problem doing that! The older machines that had moving mechanisms did require that maintenance but not so nowadays. When I clean mine, I do put machine oil on a Qtip to aid in collecting the extra lint, etc and I do swipe it around the inside of the bobbin case but that's all. No real oiling as we used to do. I suppose one reason I don't cover my machine--the piano tuner recommended not covering the keys of the piano because it's better that the air circulate through the instrument. Perhaps a cloth cover is better than the hard plastic one that may have been included with your machine?? The hard plastic one will protect it if the machine is being transported but we don't want to trap moisture inside when it's at home and idle.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:47 AM

I do cover mine. I have three cats and one is into everything. I have a vinyl cover, bought at JAF's then throw a cloth cover over the vinyl. My complication is the kitty pans are in the next room and there is so much dust kicked up. My machine is older and some of the parts are getting hard to find so I tend to be extra protective mostly... I do need to get into the habit of unplugging!
Congrats on your Juki 2010, I would love. love to have one! Maybe someday...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 AM

I keep my machines covered and unplugged just to keep them safe and clean got to much invested in them I also have the Juki machine you will love it a real workhorse
Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't cover my machine, although it always sits out, however, it might not be a bad idea, especially since my cat's litter box is in the same room. I'll have to think about that. I try to clean my machine, especially after I have been doing a lot of sewing, as I have been doing recently, but I was told to never oil it and I don't even know where I would put the oil. That might be a good question to ask the next time I take mine in for servicing.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM

I keep mine covered for the most part. Sometimes I am just tired and forget. If you've ever looked inside a desktop computer after a long time you'd wonder how in the world all that dust got in there. Server rooms are another place I've been where I've seen equipment failure due to a dusty environment. I picture a mini grain mill in my machine that if there's too much dust it will burst into flames. Ok so that's a bit of a drastic scenario but still the same concept. Kind of like a clean car runs smoother. I figure why risk it? Only takes a second to cover and uncover. Of course me being the obsessive that I am I made a cover, thread catcher, notepad cover, and pincushion all to match.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Mine was an expensive-for-me computerized machine. I cover it when I walk away for the day, even when I am going to use it the next day. Even though the room isn't too bright I worry about discoloration, and the dust...etc.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:25 AM

It is so dry here most of the time that we have a dust problem. I cover all three of mine when not in use. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Both(2)of my sewing machine covered 24/7
Old 01-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Seeing as I live in the Bay Area, we don't have dust, we don't have electrical storms, no moisture, no nothing. If an earthquake hits, the cover isn't going to help. Mine sits in the sewing room in it's table 24/7. The only time it gets put away is when I take it to get serviced, every couple of years. Of course, it's not one of them 3 to 10 thousand dollar Rolls Royces you all sew on, just a 1970 Bernina 830 Volvo. 10 years now I have been sewing on it and never had an issue with dust or power fluctuation. Of course I don't even cover my woodworking machines, just dust them off after use. Living in this very boring weather center has its advantages.
tim in san jose
Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM

I cover my machines as soon as I finish using them for the day. Lotsa money and want them to last forever.