Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it take to quilt a queen size quilt on a rented LA machine approximately? >

How long does it take to quilt a queen size quilt on a rented LA machine approximately?

How long does it take to quilt a queen size quilt on a rented LA machine approximately?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM

I have found a place near me that offers a long arm machine for rent after 4 hours of instruction. I will have to buy a zipper and other things. I know how long it takes me on a domestic to do FM and I am wondering how long it will take on a rented machine. I know that time varies according to ablility, but the prep classes and materials are almost $200.00 so I am wondering if I should invest the money and try. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Janet
Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carslo
I have found a place near me that offers a long arm machine for rent after 4 hours of instruction. I will have to buy a zipper and other things. I know how long it takes me on a domestic to do FM and I am wondering how long it will take on a rented machine. I know that time varies according to ablility, but the prep classes and materials are almost $200.00 so I am wondering if I should invest the money and try. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Janet
HI Janet,

You know it is really different for each person...the design and skill level really determines that.

I would say for a queen size with different designs and such it would probably take a good 8-10 hours. If you are doing an all over type of design maybe 4-5??

Hard to say for sure.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM

I was just going to meander for the first one, as that is what I do on the domestic. Thanks for your posting!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 AM

also depends on how many times you have to roll
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Janet, I have never done LA quilting but our own Charismah is the expert!!!!!!!! :D
Glad she chimed in.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM

I rent a LA to quilt my big quilts. I mainly do all over simple designs, loops, flowers and the such. I have my quilts on a zipper and ready to go when I get to the studio, from loading to unloading, it takes me about 3 hours to quilt a queen size.

Examples:
My Bargello is a 102" square. I quilted it with just wavy lines across, 2.5 hours.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110136-1.htm

This quilt is 80" square, quilted it with loops and flowers in about 3 hours.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114058-1.htm

My OBW is 54 or 55 inches, quilted with loops in less than an hour.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111130-1.htm

From my experience, renting the LA has been a great investment, well worth my time and money. And just so you know, I don't consider myself fast at all, not do I consider my work that great, but it is the best I can do with what I have.So I'd say go for it :thumbup:
Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Can you guys explain what the deal is with the zippers? I'm a newb- why would you need a zipper on a quilt?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
Can you guys explain what the deal is with the zippers? I'm a newb- why would you need a zipper on a quilt?
Somebody who knows more than me may be able to explain this better, but when you pin your quilt top to a zipper and your back to a zipper, it makes loading the quilt on the LA that much faster as you only need to zip the backing on the appropriate canvas/rod and roll that, then zip the top on the appropriate canvas/ rod and roll that and wallah, you are ready to quilt.
Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
I actually was wondering the same thing but then figured if it was dealing with quilting and you never know. :)
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Candi that's ridiculously clever! I never would have thought of that but of course it makes perfect sense now!