Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to quilt a quilt?

Thank you everyone for your answers. The ONLY reason I asked was because I think I take to long to get a quilt quilted so I try to speed up but end up messing up. Now, since I know that it takes a good amount of time no matter how you go about it, I will stop being so hard on myself and do as people say and enjoy the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    FMQ on my 6600 is my only option (if I am doing it) and for one that size it could be done in a couple hours if only doing stippling or STID. Anything more complicated will add to the time. My biggest time consumer is planning what to quilt. I have been known to look through pattern books for hours trying to find the "perfect quilting pattern". But once I am ready to quilt, it's off to the races coz I just hate to stop til I am done.
    I'm with Buckeye as I can probably look at a quilt trying to decide the pattern longer than it will take me to quilt. I drape the quilt over my large cutting table and I can see it every time I pass the room (several times a day). Never know when an idea will just go "pop". I do the same thing when trying to decide on colors or fabric combos.

once i've decided on the pattern, I'm fairly quick. For a quilt that size with custom quilting perhaps a 3-4 weeks (working evenings and weekends only with many breaks to ease the muscles).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    long-arm --somewhere between 1 hour & 10 hours- depending on the quilting design- how detailed/dense the quilting is to be
    by hand- a quilt teacher told me once if you quilt for 1 hour every day you can do a queen sized quilt in a year---so that would be 365 hours---again that would certainly be dependant on the density/design of the quilting- and of course some people stitch much faster than others- ive hand quilted a 54" square quilt in about 25 hours.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by lynndianne View Post
    For me that would be about 10 years (ha ha). I'm a great starter....it's just the finishing part I have problems with.

Lynn
    You just made my day by saying you're a starter but have trouble finishing things. That's so me!! Good to hear I'm not alone! Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Totally different story whether it's for me or for a customer. Mine take however long it takes. I try to have a 2 week turnaround time for clients. I machine quilt on my Janome Horizon, both tabletop and on an Inspira frame (older style)
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

I only long arm, and a 60X72 would take me about three hours (pantograph) or 5-6 hours custom. I don't do a lot of meandering or SID quilting. Hope this helps...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have a long arm and it takes from 5 to 8 hours for a bed quilt. 5 for a long twin and 8 for queen/king. (also everyone bed quilt size may be different.) I can us my home machine and do a baby quilt 42X60 in about 3 hours. This is without bindings.

I'm a hand quilter so it takes as long as it takes! Once I get "hung up" on how long it takes, the pleasure of quilting becomes an issue. I'm doing it as a relaxation therapy so it takes as long as it takes!

I do all of my quilting by hand. In the summer months it's harder to quilt because it's so hot to have the needle pushing in and out. I use a quilting floor frame that holds the entire queen/king quilt, and this keeps me from having the quilt in my lap. I'd say it takes me about 3 weeks to quilt and bind by hand. But I have to stay with it nightly. If I have more time during the day, I'll work on it, but most of the time quilting is an evening thing while listening to t.v. My DH is always so happy when I finish quilting - it means I can sit next to him on the couch while cutting more material for my next project.

I only do hand quilting and though I have tried a hoop or frame, I end up not using them. I find if I baste enough, I can keep it flat. I keep it on my lap and check frequently as I quilt. Only once, recently, have I had to undo and re-quilt and it was only a foot or so and I really could have let it go.
    I quilt in front of the TV but have other projects going on so I really have no clue how long it takes.
    I am currently working on a big quilt-extra queen size-and am making great progress: 4 of the 12 squares mostly done, including their sashes. Sometimes I go back and add more when I see the overall look.
    At my current pace, I anticipate being done some time in September! No kidding. It takes me a long time because I only quilt an hour or two at a time before something interferes. So a square a week or 6 hours times 12 squares = 72 hours + borders.
    So this isn't very helpful is it! And it may not be accurate. It sounds like way too much time, but I am including marking the fabric, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Thank you everyone for your answers. The ONLY reason I asked was because I think I take to long to get a quilt quilted so I try to speed up but end up messing up. Now, since I know that it takes a good amount of time no matter how you go about it, I will stop being so hard on myself and do as people say and enjoy the process.
    Exactly! The more I quilt the faster I am; the more I quilt the better I am. It really does help to get the rocking motion going and to stick with it. I finally learned how to do knots and then use good batting (makes a huge difference) and it just takes what it takes. I might be really upset if I clocked myself! there would be no way to get paid to compensate for the hours of thought and work.
    And an artist friend of mine years ago said that it is not just the actual piece you make/paint/turn on the wheel/etc., but the years of learning and experience that adds up to you and your work.

Sorry I am really in to this question...Has anyone read the Dear Jane quilt book? It chronicles the years Jane worked on her piecing and quilting by what was going on with the war...I believe it was not exact, but guaranteed she had other things to do during that time, too. I imagine sometimes she just flew through the stitches she was so frantic and other times, she was too sad to move...

I hand quilt and I love all the answers that have been posted. When I made my daughter's wedding ring quilt it took me three weeks and I only worked at nighttime because I was working. Now I am retired. I have all the time in the world and so it doesn't matter how long it takes. Right now I have a queen size quilt that I am handquilting. I worked on it for about a week and have it almost done but I have put it aside as other quilts have caught my eye. Things like BOM.s, doll quilts, medallion quilt (for my niece), just takes two (for my sister) and mystery quilts and so many others. I think I must be ADD as I see designs and want to try them. But some of these I am quilting as I go.....I have never done that before so I guess when I get done, I will be surprised because I will be done. This darn board gives me so many things to join that I just can't say no and so off I go. LOL. But if I set my mind to it I can complete a queen size quilt in two weeks or less. I can sit and listen to books on tapes or watch tv while I work. Multitasking is so much fun. I have made a promise to myself to finish my quilt before summer end because I want it for winter.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

It depends on the kind of quilting I am doing. I do have a longarm (Innova) on a 12' frame, so it is much easier. If I were doing an all-over pattern I could quilt the quilt in one day. If I am doing custom quilting, it might take up to a week, or even more if it is to be a show quilt. Someone with a computerized system could probably quilt an all-over pattern in half a day. If I were to try to hand quilt it, it would take decades!!! Quilting on my sewing machine is too hard on my shoulders, so I don't do that. I have known of quilts done for show taking 800 hours to make - I sure hope they included the piecing in that number of hours, but quilting quilts for the big shows can be really time consuming!

I do all FMQ on my little Singer Featherweight. It takes me anywhere from 8 hours to 40+ hours to FMQ a lap quilt, depending on how intricately I design the quilting. 8 hours would be SID/diagonal straight lines about 4 to 5" apart. 40+ hours would be if I do a pattern specific FMQ with a large number of stops and starts and thread color changes.

I've been quilting about 30 years off and on. Recently I decided to just answer 40 hours for piecing and 40 hours for quilting a lap quilt - not counting the time to find, buy and starch, and cut the material into the pattern - for my "Stock" answer to anyone who wants to know how long it takes. I usually follow up with a discussion about the freedom to choose what you do and how you do it.

This answer helps me feel better when I look into my closet, see all those UFO's sitting there, and can't figure out why things are not getting done! I do not know of any person who quilts 8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, unless they are a professional (and even those folks set longer time criteria for themselves so their quality stays up and they don't feel under the gun of an immediate deadline to get it done).

Don't feel bad about how long it takes. The only thing that matters is how you feel about it, not how long it takes.

I machine quilt on either a Pfaff 1222E for baby quilts and a Viking Sapphire 875 for lap and twin size quilts. If I do a grid it will take me 3-4 days to quilt one. If I do an all over meander it'll take a couple of hours for the baby quilts and several days for bigger quilts. Sometimes its fun to use the decorative stitches for grid quilting and I often use a variegated thread and a 16/100 top stitch needle. I do quilting because its fun, not because it has to be perfect. The vast majority of my quilts are for charity.

When I first started quilting on my Elna Quilter's Pro it would take up to 10 hours. Then I started using the Bailey Home Quilting Machine 17" and it would take approximately 4 to 5 hours. Now that I have an APQS Quilting Machine on a frame, I can quilt a queen size quilt in approximately 1.5 hours including loading the quilt. If anyone is interested in having their quilt tops quilted I would be happy to do so. Since I have been a member of this group for ten years, I will be happy to offer a sizeable discount on my regular rates to quilting board members. Please feel free to contact me anytime through a private message.

I quilt mine on my Viking Sapphire 870 and that size would take me about 7 hrs which I split between 2 days to avoid shoulder and neck fatigue. I meander on he blocks and then usually do some other fmq in each of the borders such as hearts, ferns, bubbles etc. I load several bobbins ahead of time. Have fun!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    This about says it for me too!!!!
    Same here, I quilt for pleasure and it's a hobby - seem to enjoy hand quilting the best so far - it is relaxing and good therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    several weeks. I take it to the long armer and she calls me later.

Sorry, can't help!
    Amen to that!! Depends on the long armer's schedule.....

But, I do quilt my smaller quilts myself. Mostly SID or straight lines in a grid, etc. I recently took a free motion quilting class and I have had some success with simple loops or meandering and I'm practicing. A few months ago, I bought a small Grace frame to use with my Janome Horizon 7700. I've been playing around with that as well. I would love to be able to quilt all my quilts myself - but we'll see. Huge learning curve for me.
    Last edited by spokanequilter; 06-15-2012 at 06:41 AM.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Quote Originally Posted by lynndianne View Post
    For me that would be about 10 years (ha ha). I'm a great starter....it's just the finishing part I have problems with.

Lynn
    I can identify with that! We are kindred spirits, Lynn. lol

I have been machine quilting for about 10 years. on the weekends I can quilt a double to queen on Sat., if I just quilt and don't do housework or laundry also, about 6-8 hours with breaks. I have made a queen size start to finish in a few days, as I am aging, I try to make them faster. I want to use up most of my huge fabric stash before I check out.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm just learning FMQ on my Bernina...I've done quit a bit of SID, but I'm not a person who sits for long, and tend to get up, start some other project, and it is a couple of days before I return to the machine. Of course, if I want to sew something else, I have to finish the project! I'm on my own time here, so no hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quilt size 60x72.
    If you have a Long Arm?
    I believe you are looking for specifics so here goes.
    I have a longarm and lots of experience - 1 hr for prep (measuring and loading on machine)
    2 hrs for simple meandering - medium size
    4 hrs for different meandering types - with flowers, leaves, names etc.
    8 hrs for custom each block different, echoing - borders etc.

If i'm hand quilting a piece, prep + 30-60min per 12" block. Depends on design
    I don't have any of the other quilting equipment and I don't do edge to edge.
    Hope I answered your questions. If your questions are to help you decide which machine to go with - longarm quilting is not something you can do for a regular work day. Even when I first began, my body just couldn't take long periods of time. I also find that an audio book, tv program or something to distract my mind helps me stay at it longer.
    Happy stitching.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

I use mega quilter on a hand made frame. Takes me about 3 days for a queen or king. A few hours for lap or baby. I work a while and take a break then quilt some more.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast