Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How long has your computerized machine lasted?

How long has your computerized machine lasted?

I'm wondering how long computerized sewing machine last? And what kind is it?
    Linda

I got my Brother about 5 years ago and it is still working great!
    The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Janome 6600 for eleven years. Zero problems and still going strong.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Got my brother PC8200, 20 years ago. Still going.

I have a Singer computerized one and it is almost 15 years old and sews fine. A guild member has a brand new Bernina 830 and it lasted a few weeks before trouble started. The new machines may have too much computer to keep the glitches out.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My Kenmore is 12+ years old, and working fine. Of course, it doesn't get much attention since I found the love of my life (aka Janome 6600) 4 years ago.

15+ years for my Pfaff 7570.

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking Designer 1 which I purchased in 2004. It puts in thousands of stitching hours a year, ( work days I sew 3-4 hours, days off I've been known to sew 8-12 hours) still works great. When I bought it I told the dealer I had worn out 3 machines in 10 years, he told me I would never wear out the viking, so far, he's right.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Nearly twenty years for my Pfaff 7550! I've never seen a machine that I would rather have. I also have an eleven year old Janome Embroidery Machine that is computerized. I've used it a lot, but no where near as much as the Pfaff.
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

My first computerised was a janome memory craft 4000 bought 22 years ago, the computerised part is still ok, but bits were falling off and I treated myself to a new one, kept the old one as an emergency back up though.

Power Poster
    I have a Bernina 145 since 2001 that went for a foot pedal repair. I have a Bernina 450 since 2010? and I had the timing fixed in 2013 for skipped stitches because I hit a pin. No computer repairs or problems on either machines.

Lots of computerized machines in brother and janome still going strong after 15+ years. There was a similar discussion on Pattern Review not long ago and the consensus seemed to be for the new models more like 10 years life expectancy but no way to know really!! But probably 15 yrs would be considered a long life for today's TOL types...again just a guess.
    mea

My Bernina 440 just turned 10. No problems until a couple of months ago. I was trying to sew some velcro onto a coffee cup cozy and I threw the time off so had to take it in to be re-timed. The embroidery unit had a bad board from the factory that had to be replaced but had been fine since. My Bernina 910 Electronic has one computer board for the needle up-down. It is 23 years old and going strong.
    Kim
    So many hobbies ... So little time
    private pilot, quilter, vintage sewing machine addict, silversmith, lapidary

Power Poster
    Pfaff 1471 (advanced for its time!) is between 25 and 30 years old. I had the motor replaced a couple of years ago.

My Viking Rose has been going strong since 1996.

my kenmore-one of the first computerized machines- is 27 years and going strong. My Brother Ult 2002 has had one repair-something was off in the embroidery part.

I have a Bernina 1530 that I purchased in the early 90s and it is still working.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    Janome 6600 for eleven years. Zero problems and still going strong.
    Glad to see this! Mine just had it's 2nd birthday and it's a great machine. I hope mine lasts a good long time too!

Thanks so much for your answers. I wondered if the price of the higher end machines with computers was worth it - or if I should just go with a lower-mid range computerized machine. There are so many options out there it's hard to figure out where to even start. You know, it's not like back when I bought my first sewing machine (40 years ago) and I knew to just head out to Sears and get a Kenmore.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Glad to see this! Mine just had it's 2nd birthday and it's a great machine. I hope mine lasts a good long time too!
    Me too! 11 years for the Janome 6600 made me feel good - glad to hear this

My Bernina 440 is like brand new even though I have put hundreds of miles on her. I think we got her in '07.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

I am still sewing on my Pfaff 1471 I bought in 1986. It is computerized, but not as advanced as other machines today, but it is still sewing strong. I have never had any major thing done to it, just the cord replaced in the foot petal.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

My Bernina 440QE is over eleven years old (as best I can figure out) and I had it in the shop twice for cleaning and a checkup. It always runs like a dream. The repairman I had here for my longarm saw my machine and asked how I like it. Told him I love it. The shop he works for no longer sells Bernina but a friend of his works for one that does. He said the new ones are not as good as the older ones. Don't know, this is his opinion. I do like the large bobbin the new Bernina's have though!
    Last edited by Cam's gram; 05-08-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Pfaff 7570 - 15 years. The machine is going strong but the software is no longer supported.

My daily workhorse is a Viking Platinum; bought second hand at an auction, never tried it, brought it home, plugged it in...no problems for the five years I've had it. Also have a Janome 6600, a newer Singer and a couple of embroidery machines that are all still doing fine. Then, we go to the older ladies....JK, they almost ALL work!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast