Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with? >

How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

How many are basically lone quilters or have close friends they quilt with?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
I'm a loner also. I do belong to a Quilting Guild. A very nice one with wonderful people. But it is hard for me to go on The mondays once of a month because it is at night. Not used to driving on dark roads like we have in Georgia. I MEAN DARK. :shock: Deer run across the roads all the time. No one makes fun of me which is nice. LOL I try to go as many Weds. as I can. The Sit and Sew meetings are every Wed. from 9:00 to 12:00. Sadly I haven't been able to go much for the last few months. I have Neighbors that are quilters. But they are Military and are used to doing and being alone no matter how dark it is and think I am a sissy. Which I don't think I am just cautious. Besides being a lot younger than I am. So that leaves me with me. Which is just fine.
BillsBonBon
Where is Lakeland Ga? Hubby & I just came back home from a year in Marietta GA. He was working there at Dobbins Air Reserve Base. I really loved it there. And we have friends that live in Suwanee so we are in that area 3-4 times a year.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

I'm a loner. I am the only one of my friends that quilt. Oh, I guess you could count my DGD as a fellow quilter. She is just 6, but loves to sew on her Sew Mini machine and loves going to the fabric store with me. So maybe I'm not a loner.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 PM

I'm the Lone Ranger. I work in spurts as I have the time, so I might work early in the morning or for 15 minutes before I go to bed at night.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 PM

I am so lucky when we first moved here no one was quilting/embroidering around here, then my neighbours got interested and now we have a small (6) sewing group that get together on Thursday afternoons, we are all doing hand sewing which is much easier then we dont have to cart the sewing machine around. I prefer to work on my own as I am way ahead of the group. Love to be on my own.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:11 AM
db

Good morning.......Well a small group from our church started a quilting group approx 7 years ago, which we named the Calico Chicks. A few friends of the members have since joined, and now were approx. 14 and meet twice a month. The first wed of the month and the third wed. of the month. We meet for four hours. We sew, chat, exchange ideas.and just enjoy one another friendship.
db
Old 06-13-2009, 04:27 AM

I am a lone quilter. I am a pretty shy person and though I WANT to join a guild, I haven't. I belong to a woman's social club that meets up for brunch/lunch/dinner/movie/bowling/happy hour or whatever, several times a month. I mentioned quilting on Taco Tuesday (happy hour and $1 tacos) a couple of weeks ago but no one else said they sewed.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:07 AM
DJ

Often when I have the opportunity to spend a day with DD, we will do some sewing together, and I've worked on quilts with her. It's so much fun! I've also worked a bit with my other DD, but it takes her so long to get going!

I have a friend that I've spent weekends with to make a quilt for her. She's not a quilter, but has done a lot of sewing. We've had some wonderful weekends working on the quilt. I do the cutting and she sews the pieces together. I'm now in the process of quilting it for her. I've done some machine quilting on it and am finishing up with some hand quilting.

I have another friend who has mentioned having a weekend retreat with a few of our quilting friends, but that hasn't happened yet.

There's a group at church that gets together to tie quilts for Lutheran World Relief. I help out when I'm able to go. I do the piecing of the LWR quilts at home and sometimes take a tied one to put binding on.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
I'm a loner also. I do belong to a Quilting Guild. A very nice one with wonderful people. But it is hard for me to go on The mondays once of a month because it is at night. Not used to driving on dark roads like we have in Georgia. I MEAN DARK. :shock: Deer run across the roads all the time. No one makes fun of me which is nice. LOL I try to go as many Weds. as I can. The Sit and Sew meetings are every Wed. from 9:00 to 12:00. Sadly I haven't been able to go much for the last few months. I have Neighbors that are quilters. But they are Military and are used to doing and being alone no matter how dark it is and think I am a sissy. Which I don't think I am just cautious. Besides being a lot younger than I am. So that leaves me with me. Which is just fine.
BillsBonBon
Where is Lakeland Ga? Hubby & I just came back home from a year in Marietta GA. He was working there at Dobbins Air Reserve Base. I really loved it there. And we have friends that live in Suwanee so we are in that area 3-4 times a year.

Lake is about 10 min. from Moody Air Force Base. Maybe 15 from Valdosta. I love it here also. But am used to street lights and you don't seem many of those where I am at. We have one in our yard and maybe one other down from me. We are Rural maybe 2 miles from Lakeland but it has grown into a small community in the 3 years we have live here. Lots of home development. I still don't know where a lot of cities are. The first yr. was getting settled it was hard first time being away form DD and GRDkids.2nd yr. was better but still didn't know my way around. 3rd yr sees me doing more outside the home whenever I can. I am a caregiver for my MOM. Wouldn't change it though We are extremly happy.
Next time you come this way Pm me and maybe we can meet.
BillsBonBon
Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Sounds like a plan. Actually hubby will be working in Kings Island Ga which is between Savannah & Jacksonville Fla. starting the end of June for 10 weeks & I will be going with him. I will let you know when I know more for sure.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Lone quilter , too . Annie