Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: How many Feel sooooo Terrible after a quiltshow that:

Perfect is in the eye of beholder..

I must admit I feel humbled when I see what has been made in this last year. But like many of you, I tend to see that it can make me better if I let it. I can look and learn, or I can look and be defeated. I choose to do the first. I have also found that many times you can look at a quilt and think-- what was she thinking! Did it work? What set the best ones apart? Am I inspired by their work? What can I take away?
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I went to a quilt show before I started quilting. I almost stopped the quilting thought right there. They all looked so great and perfect! I thought why should I bother for I would never be able to make those " perfect" ones.
    I am glad I got over that thought. Mine may never be perfect but it is so much fun. The end result is a quilt with some flaws( I know where they are) and I will improve over time.... Hopefully! ; - )

I enjoy looking at and being inspired by what I see. However, quilting has a place in my life, but it isn't my calling. I don't aspire to be a nationally known quilt artist, I just want to keep improving on what I do. I do enjoy the amazing work I see at shows, or on programs like The Quilt Show. Wow!
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

It really helped me to know how much time these show quilters spend on their quilts. I dont think I would be able to work on one for 4 years like the Grand Prize winner at Paducah one year. I just enjoy the process and making new and pretty things.

Even the applique pieces are so complex and detailed. I like my simpler applique quilts. Big pieces make for easier stitching. Good thing there is a place for all of us.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, you feel that way. I love going to them and my 6yr old DGS loves to go with me. He has me taking pictures of everything. I love looking at the creativity of some and know and don't expect myself to get to that level. Mainly because I don't have the time to put in like many of them do. No one that I know quilts so they think what I do is amazing and that's where it counts to me; with the ones I care about, not strangers. I love looking at all the gadgets out there knowing I'll not be able to afford them but it's cool looking. It's like going window shopping at Macy's with only a Walmart credit limit. It is good to see what is out there. When they come to Hampton I go every day except for Sunday only because I'm back at work.
    Judy

Not me, I always feel inspired to try to make something as beautiful as what I've seen. Of course, I'm talking as a customer, not one who has a booth. That would definately determine how I'd feel after the show.
    Jeanie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4