Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How many hours?

I don't get to spend as much time as I would like on quilting, maybe 6-10 hours a week, if that. My girls (11 & 2) keep me pretty busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    I try to get in a couple hours each night. Sometimes life moves into that space, and other times I've become frustrated and had to walk out on it. Might take a couple days to go back to the machine, but I try to work in the evenings after supper and the man is back in his cave.
    Sometimes I wish my husband had a cave, I can't really work when he's home, just because when he's home I need to spend that time with him...

I sew almost every day for several hours. Life is good!

I only started a couple of weeks ago and intended just to do it in the evenings (I'm hand stitching). I'm loving it so much it is taking over some of the day time too. Instead of doing something that pays the bills (I work from home) I end up picking up the quilt pieces. It's proving really addictive. I've forced myself to take a few days "off" this week to do some work as I've finished five blocks now and my hands are starting to ache!

When we still work it is hard to fit in. Every morning I iron my clothes for work and visit my fabric, haha. Then this past week-end new grandbaby born, so varies a lot but grateful for every minute of sewing time is therapy.

I never feel whole unless I do some sewing each day. If my schedule is clear and I am charged up on a project, I could get lost in my quilt room for 10 or 12 hours. I turn off the computer, don't answer my phone and only emerge to fix dinner for my husband. I would rather quilt than eat...unless it's chocolate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Retired and live alone - the world is my oyster...
    Me too...except for the dogs barking at me if I have been in the basement too long to suit them. Or if I have to go pick up my DGS from his soccer practice EVERY day after school. The grandkids and neighbor kids are all in school so I have more time; not babysitting any of them any more. I try to get my cleaning and laundry done on Saturday and Sunday mornings so I don't have to worry about that during the week. Mondays are my "runnning around" days. Today I will go to Joann's and get some groceries. Then the rest of the week I can sew sew sew.

[/quote]
    Also I might get more done if this board didn't exsist but then again I wouldn't know what I was doing if it weren't for the helpful quilters on here.[/quote]

I agree with that! Love this board! As far as the hours, I have wondered the same thing! This weekend for instance, I had no time, was booked all weekend with something! I did have 5 minutes that I sneaked into my sr and thought I would get something done, I hurried to finish this 5 minute project that was pending. I hurried so much that I sewed it on backwards and had to rip it all out! So no point in trying if you got to hurry!

I seem to be in a slump right now so not sewing as much but I can sew whenever I want since I am retired.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since we are empty nesters & the kids live in WI, I have loads of time to stitch after work. DH is hungry, but will settle for just about anything I fix or bring home. I go to bed around 11:00, so I'd say 4 - 4 1/2 hours nightly and all day Saturday. Sunday is for church and cleaning - cleanliness is next to Godliness! :) I do manage to get a few hours in even then. of course, that time also includes reading this blasted Board!!!! I try to get my fix in the morning, before work.

Interesting reading how everyone gets their time in. I am currently wondering where in the house I can carve out a niche to leave my sewing machine set up...

I sew when life is not crowding in on me.

I can sew whenever I want as retired but I have a significant other that I spend all my evenings with. I have my own sewing room but am kind of in a slump right now.

For me I can devote time to quilting anytime I want because I'm retired. So I do something every day. Just in the mornings.

I try to get in some quilting every day. When I am on a roll it will be 10 hours a day. DH feeds himself on those days.

e4
    I work full-time and have to be out of town a lot also. But sewing/quilting is my relaxation and I try to do some everyday that I am in town - at least 1/2 an hour or so in every night before bed. But My spouse and child (age 15) also have their hobbies so after dinner and homework is done, we can work on projects. I have a dedicated sewing room so that is an advantage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I'm able to sew 24/7
    Rarely these days have I been in the mood to sew - by machine or hand
    Have been sorting and cutting for 2 months, but no sewing.
    I have to be in the mood to sew,too. I can sew most days of the week but do have volunteer work on Tues.,Wed, and Thur. So that cuts into my sewing time some

I am retired so my time is my own but for what it's worth I really admire the moms with kids at home and those of us who still work 40 hours a week. You guys are awesome to get anything done at all.

After teaching all day, the best I did was "think" about my projects.

My quilting time is determined by my self-imposed schedules. If there are quilts that need to be completed by a certain time, I really can get into gear.

Usually, though, I have a hand project to do while watching TV with my honey. (my sewing room IS the living room so the machine makes too much noise while watching TV for him....he is the greatest, very understanding of the projects, thread and the like laying around almost everywhere!

My sewing room is next to my den where I watch TV. This weekend with football and a movie I wanted to see, I have sewn during all the commercials. Amazing how much I am getting done. I may call it my "Commercial quilt".

...how many hours do I spend a day or week? More like in a month, a couple of hours. ...and I'm retired, for pete's sake. Don't know what it is but I just cannot seem to settle down & sew. So now I'm approaching the sewing machine a little differently. What can I do in 15 minutes....read it on a blog and my gosh, what a difference! Sometimes the 15 minutes turn into 30 minutes! Works great for me...and yes, I do set a timer!

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I was wondering this morning just how much quilting everyone is able to do. How many hours a week or per day are you able to spend on your passion? I know there is never enough time in the day for me to do what i want but i manage to sew more on the week-ends than any other time. How about you guys?
    I don't work outside the home, so I am fortunate enough to be able to sew as much as I want. I do about 5-6 hours a day sometimes!

I try to sew abit each day. I usually sew for about 30 - 45 minutes in the morning before work. I save the evening for cutting out fabric. I sew for about 6-7 hours almost every Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I agree. It depends on my mood and what else needs to be done around the house. I also work full time so that limits my sewing time as well. Right now I am working on some hand work. I am hand quilting a throw. So when I do get to be in my sewing room it is usually for a couple hours.

Blog Entries
    depends onhow my back is feeling.
    when i was working, about 4 hours a day.
    when i worked at the casket company, (casket embroiderer) i quilted all day at work 8 hrsm, and a few more at home. now that i'm disabled, if ifeel ok. about 4-6 hrs a day. if i'm not on the board, (when i have acess to a acomputer) coz this lace takes us a lot of time!!!

When I'm not looking at all the stuff to see, hear and learn on this board, I'm quilting. So literally, I am doing something about quilting from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. And there still isn't enough time for it all.

Depends on what other things I have to do. Right now I am working on come crochet projects I want to get done for Christmas. So I am not spending as much time as I would like. But it is on my mind always.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast