Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt on reg sewing machine? >

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

How many quilt on reg sewing machine?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Many quilt quilts as large as king size on their domestic sewing machine. There are many books, videos and classes online or face to face to help you learn if you desire to. I do my own quilting, although twin size is the largest I've done. I prefer to make bed runners rather than a queen or king size quilt. That's the beauty of quilting the best way is the way that works for you. HAPPY QUILTING!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM

I have quilted up to a King on my Bernina 150. That being said, if someone gave me a stationary mid-arm or long-arm, I wouldn't turn them away!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Kudos to all that can quilt their quilts on a reg machine !!!!

I send mine out to a longarmer.. Me personally, I do not want to wrestle with a king or queen quilt... I think if i had to I would be turned off on quilting all together..
Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM

I use both.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM

I quilt on my Janome 6600P, but twin size is about as large as I have done. I am looking into buying a Sweet 16 or Bailey sit down mid arm so I can do larger quilts and so I don't have to do all that scrunching of the quilt. By the time I'm finished with a larger than lap quilt, I have really had a good upper body work out *Ü*
Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM

I do free motion on my Bernina that is around 30 years old. I quilt from king size down. To quilt the larger quilts you have to "scrunch" and/or roll them to make room. A table or chair behind the machine to hold the bulk of the quilt helps a lot.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM

I have a Brother PQ1500, has a 9" throat space, but it only does straight stitch...I just got a Janome Horizon 7700, has 11" throat plate, and does a lot of stitches...I haven't had a chance to use it yet, tho...I also have a Grace machine quilt frame, was going to use my 1500 with it, but never have...I just do a meander stipple or and outline stitch about 1/8" away from ditch on 1500..it has a pin feed system, so I don't have to use a walking (ever feed) foot to do the outline stitch...I will say for the price, it has been a great machine...the pin feed makes piecing quilts a breeze, too...Have you checked out Leah Days website? She does all of her fmq on a domestic machines, couple of years ago got the Janome 7700...but still shows quilting on a regular size domestic machine. Here is a link to her site, she has a TON of great info...
http://daystyledesigns.com/
Regards,
Kif
PS Quilt gloves, or gloves with fingertip grips are a BIG help...also I use the bobbin genies...and a free motion slider..and I also make sure and have tables around so there is not pull and drag on the quilt...here is another link to youtube videos, have great way to make an inexpensive quilting table:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM

Last edited by kiffie2413; 02-12-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add links..
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM

I've quilted up through queen size with my regular ol' Singer. I love that thing. <3

So yes, it can definitely be done! But like luvTooQuilt, you might not like to do it that way. Before you invest a lot of money in any machine see if you can take it for a test drive -- for a while. Like, a 'borrow one from a friend for a couple of weeks and a few quilts' type of thing.

Find out what makes you happy, and then do that!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM

I use my Husqvarna Ruby embroidery machine to do the the sewing and quilting.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I quilted large quilts on my DSM before I got my longarm. I used the methods in Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections, for all but one of them. That one was huge and couldn't be divided up into sections, so I basted it with water soluble thread on a John Flynn frame and then quilted the whole thing in my Bernina 440QE. (That was enough to persuade me to get a longarm, LOL)