Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of these Charity quilts do you do??? >

How many of these Charity quilts do you do???

How many of these Charity quilts do you do???

Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Suz

I have been involved with Quilts of Valor for over five years. My goal is to make one a week and am pretty much on schedule for these years. I do not find their requirements to be difficult. A friend and I do fundraising at three local community festivals, fairs. We each take a quilt, a book showing other quilts we have made, our destination letters, thank yous, and of course, our money box. We talk about our experience in this organization and ask for help. Once they realize our dedication to this project, most give us a few dollars. They add up. We keep good financial records and ensure those who donate that the money will be used only for the QOVs. The money from these events covers our expenses for the year.

God is good! Once I get my QOV done for the week, I find I have plenty of time to do my own quilting. I should add that I have a very cooperative Marine husband who encourages me, takes over in the kitchen, closes basting pins, helps me pack, and is my male mailman.

From this thread, I am so glad to read that many of us are sharing our talents. There are so many needs from the babies to the seniors. I am proud of you all and thank you for giving of yourselves to others.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 AM

I have been making jean rag quilts and serger quilts and crocheted afghan
for about 8 years just because I felt like I wanted to help children and
this is a way to do it. Besides I don't like sitting in front of the boob tube
all the time.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 AM

send the kit to me. I make charity quilts all the time. Usually I make about two or three a month for women's shelter, lap quilts for VA, our guild charity bee makes 800 christmas stockings for children in the CPS program. I made 80 this year; I finished in August. I get a great pleasure of completing these quilts for the better good. Last March I was at a rretreat in Branson, MO right after the tornado hit. We made 60 pillowcases, provided 3 sets of sheets, and 6 towels/washrags sets, and one quilt to the relief efforts.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 AM

I spend 4 hours, two days a week with a group that does nothing but "charity" quilts. the quilts go to the local pediatrics unit, and the local hospice. What a joy, and we have such a good time together. the materials are donated, and we do at least two raffles a year to earn money for batting, as well as some support from the local guild.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have never (shame on me) made a quilt for charity. About one week ago, I got a package in the mail and inside is a pre-cut quilt. It says to sew it together and send it back by the end of the month. I don't know why I received this. I didn't sign up for it and don't want to do it. Does anyone want this? I will mail this to you free of charge. I think someone put my name in for this without my permission. It upset me that someone did this without my knowledge or consent. They don't know my workload or lifestyle. I am planning on sending it back with a note saying it was sent as a mistake.

I know, I should make one, but my plate is full right now and I couldn't get it done at the end of the month even if I wanted to. So, if anyone wants it, pm me. Otherwise, I'm sending it back. I'm planning on making some throws for the home down the street in our town of 800 people. They are counting on me for that. And that is not for a little while yet. I have a busy schedule right this minute.
If they sent it to you without your permission it is legally yours to keep and do with as you please. Keep it, and when you have time make it and donate to your local charity.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 AM

I don't get pressured, I make as many as I have time for, when I am too busy at work or whatever, I don't do any. sometime I am ashamed to admit, I give to charity the quilts that did not came out right or I am not satisfied with.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 AM

I do all my charity quilts for Linus.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 AM

First of all, quilts are for people, not charity. The love that is sewn into a quilt is for the person in need. I quilt for cancer patients who are undergoing treatment to keep them warm and know that someone loves them. I don't do it out of compulsion, but am compelled by the love I have known and the gifts I have been given. I am always trying to find patterns that make the process quicker, so I can make more quality ones. If this is not for you, then maybe donate part of your stash to someone who is doing it out of love. I know that I am always scrambling for fabric and batting. Generous people here on the board sent me fabric for the cost of postage so I can continue. I look at quilting as a mission of love, I don't count how many I do, but esteem the people who receive the quilts and my prayers. Quilting is a matter of the heart. I am not a medical person, or any other gifts that I can help, but am compelled to give beauty and hope one quilt at a time. If you don't want to make quilts for "charity", that is ok. Remember that we are all given something we can share with someone who cannot give back and did not choose to be in that position. Thank you to all of you who give from the heart of compassion and sacrifice! You never know what it will mean to someone in the toughest spot.
Linda
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I have been involved with Quilts of Valor for over five years. My goal is to make one a week and am pretty much on schedule for these years. ...... I am proud of you all and thank you for giving of yourselves to others.
I think with QOV, the long-armer can get left out of the loop and feel like they're not as involved in the process. I'm glad I found one quilt topper to work with. I feel involved, get feedback and get to see the end result along with the recipient. I was getting tops from all over the US and never any information about what happened to the quilt once it left my hands. I like feeling a more personal connection. And now, Carol is working on a fund-raiser that will help defray costs, pay for batting and thread, etc. She's gotten fabric donated, loves to sew and will keep me as busy as I can handle. Yeah Carol!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 AM

I make quilts for a group called "Quilts 4 Kids". A lady has started a local chapter so I take what I make to her and she delivers it, along with many others donated, to local hospitals. I figure if I make them with love, then where they go and to whom, is up to that recipient to either feel the love or not. Once it's out of my hands, it is done. I've done my "good" and hopefully it will wind up with a "happy to get it" person. Sometimes I use fabric that has been donated and sometimes I pull from my stash. I do complete each, usually arounnd 40x54 and wash them before I hand them off. I do simple DMS.