Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many UFO's do you have now? >

how many UFO's do you have now?

how many UFO's do you have now?

Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 PM

Zero. Woohoo!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

31. I did not realize there were so many until I got out the list and started counting. That does not count the ones that I consider to be abandoned. Yikes.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:41 PM

I have 4 UFOs. The reason I can't get them done is because I am working on a sample of what my next project will be like. I can hardly wait to start it! Then I will have 5 UFO's. Can I blame this on a short attention span? If I were to psychoanalyze myself I would say it is because it is the only area of my life where I get to do whatever I want...whenever I want.....for as long as I want. It is a safe outlet for breaking all the rules without hurting anyone. It does, however, make me disappointed in myself from time to time. Alice
Old 03-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

I don't want to know, either, so I haven't counted. It's too depressing! Some of them give me so much guilt that I just have to deal with them next...
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Years ago, I took a lot of classes either to learn a technique, because the instructor was a well known quilter I wanted to learn from, or because a quilting buddy wanted company. As a result, I ended up with a shameful amount of UFOs that I really wasn't all that interested in finishing to begin with--over 60. Then I took almost 10 years away from quilting, so the UFOs sat in boxes all that time.

When I got my quilting mojo back about 1-1/2 years ago, I decided I wanted to use what I have, and not just buy fabric or start projects willy-nilly. So I started with projects from the UFO bin. I finished up about 6 last year.

But still, the bins filled with UFOs were overwhelming. I tried forcing myself to work on projects I was no longer thrilled about, until I started to feel my quilting mojo slipping away. Thanks mostly to this board, I realized quilting is supposed to be fun, I don't have to finish every project I started. I also decided to get over my fear of FMQ- a quilt with mediocre quilting is better than an unquilted floppy!

So, I decided to tackle all the UFOs bins once and for all. Over the course of a month, I went and pulled out 2-3 UFOs each day, and decided their fate. I picked the ones that sparked my creativity to keep. One was graciously hand embroidered by another member of this board. The rest I tossed if damaged or gave away. I feel so much better.

My current UFO list is at 22, plus 4 WIPs. 7 are tops have been completed and need to be quilted, one is my "forever" project (a hand pieced and hand quilted Dear Jane). Only one UFO is a project that is less than 2 years old, and only because I set it aside to make baby things for my freshly-arrived first grandson.

It is still more than I would like--my goal is to be able to fit all of my stash and UFO's/WIPs into a single bookshelf. But I have a plan and I am making progress!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:59 AM

I love this thread!!! It reinforces my belief that quilting makes me happy. And if I'm not happy it's ok to change directions to be happy. Thank you to all who have posted!!!
I don't have to finish everything, the process of making it has made me happy. And will make whoever buys or inherits my projects started happy.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:04 AM

I have one Dresden Plate, 1 Blue Bird Quilt, Working on Lori Holt's Farm quilt (6 inch blocks) and a red/white Chevron quilt. I'll put the borders on the Chevron today and then it will wait until I find backing. Maybe I'll put borders on the Blue Bird Quilt and get the backing ready this week also. Sometimes life just gets in the way of my sewing/quilting. Why???
Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 AM

None of my unfinished projects are abandoned, just waiting for my quilting skills to catch up with my vision. In total, I have between 15 and 20 projects that are in the unfinished stage... ranging from quilt tops that are ready to quilt, ready to baste, waiting for me to buy an appropriate backing fabric, and in various stages of completion. I also have 3 or 4 quilts that are cut, and ready to sew.
I just need to buckle down and start something.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 AM

None, but I have 5 WIPs!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 AM

I am part of the UFO group here on the Quilting Board and I have been busy working my way through my pile of beautiful but unfinished projects. I have finished 7 so far this year, 2019. How many more to go? I am going to say 5 but I just thought of another basket that I am sure hides some others that are aging, so the real number is more than 5. I also have 4 or 5 WIP (Work In Progress). My personal goal is to finish 2 to 3 UFOs/WIP per month until I can breath a little easier. Creativity can lead you down some exciting rabbit trails!!