Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you find that quilting is a therapeutic outlet?

As opposed to just a "fun" thing to do? I know, for myself, that I need to have some creative hobby to "escape" to. Going into the right brain shuts off all the stuff I don't want to deal with (family situations). I originally was interested in quilting just for the fun of it, but now I crave sitting at the sewing machine or searching/reading here, or surfing other quilting related info (and buying books! :lol: ) - it just keeps life light! How about you?

I totally agree. And then there are those times when a quilt I'm working on make me need therapy!

I to find it very relaxing to just sit and sew. Love looking for new patterns and books. I have way more ideas of things to make then I will ever have time.

Blog Entries
    I agree, it's a stress reliever for me!

Blog Entries
    For me, sewing is definitely relaxing and a creative outlet. For the past few weeks, I have been having eye problems and can't sew for any length of time. I am amazed at how much I miss it. If I ever lost the ability to sew, I think I would go bonkers.....it helps keep me sane.

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is a great stress reliever...it allows me to go away to my "happy place" :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Yes, it is a great stress reliever...it allows me to go away to my "happy place" :D:D:D

I find it is very relaxing as well. Except of course when things don't line up and I have to unsew everything I just did.
    Otherwise, it helps me keep my sanity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Exactly! :thumbup:

Same, it is also helping me to cut back on a very bad habit I have.............smoking. The more I sew the less I smoke. Cutting back then quitting!!!!!!!!!!!

Ido think that is relaxing and therapy, but sometimes, specialy when I am quilting a vary large area with a small design that I can do with my eyes closed, I find myself with time on my hands to think. sometimes I end up worrying about things I didn't have time to worry about before and other times I am able to think of solutions to my problems. I guess is time to go to the sewing room.

Maria

Absolutely! Not only is it fun and greatly satisfying with having made special gifts, but it is so mind encompassing that I can let go of my problems for awhile.

I am chronically ill, unable to work past 2yrs which contributed to us now losing our home, so I'm talking pretty big problems. I know there are worse ones... I'm blessed with a delightfully wonderful family I talk on phone with daily.

Quilting and my funny, active, cuddly puppy and my old, busy little bird and phone conversations with family so I can laugh with others are my at-home happy get-away distractions. Those are my best therapeutic solutions for my heart and soul; they are keeping me sane and in good spirits.

Tottally agree, you can just stop thinking about everything else going on in life and concentrate on the creativity of making something!

sewing is about the stress reliever that i have, i love to sew, i make just about anything, the wondering of what i am going to make next helps me and knowing that i have made something that makes someone else happy(family)makes me happy

I'm on disability and it's so relaxing to me when I'm having a bad day. If I can't sew just a little each day I get stressed out. I'm able to handle the rest of my day after being in my sewing room playing with my stash.

It is my therapy. I feel much better after I have had some time for quilting.

Blog Entries
    Sewing has always been my "therapy." It's my way of escaping the day-to-day problems and issues for awhile and keeps my hands busy. I like the sense of accomplishment when I've completed a project to the best of my ability.

I do quilting for a living and I still think it is great therapy. If I can't get to sleep at night, I dream up a quilt in my sleep. It is the best way to come up with creative ideas!

Barb

If I don't get quilting time in I get very frustrated. I think about it all the time. It is the last thing I think about before I go to sleep. It has taught me so much patience. I didn't quilt for 4 years; from the time my twin boys were born until they turned 4. Once I started up again I realized how much I had been missing. I finally feel like my creative side is being fullfilled. I ordered fabric today and I am so excited. I can't wait to figure out what I am going to make.

GMA
    sewing is what I do to relax and enjoy. I like to quilt to keep my brain stimulated and challenged.

Blog Entries
    I need my "fix" daily as well. I'm a frustrated artist--I see things, then can't draw a straight line for love nor money! Piecework has helped me express and satisfy an artisitic side of me--however simple it is. And the bonus is there's a finished usable object when you are done which gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    I have two words: blood pressure. Mine was lowered considerably after I picked up my quilting again several months ago. Doctor was VERY happy. And so was I.

Of course it's therapy for me. I also enjoy the opportunity to play with color and fabric, making things for family and friends, and having great relationships with my fabric store, and quilting friends like I've met here, well that's just icing on my cake!

Odessa

The only thing so far that I've been getting frustrated with is how much time it's taking me to get enough blocks done! I've been making crumb blocks - I think I still have about 40 to go.... they take forever!

When something is bothering me, I sew it into a quilt and when I'm done, I give it away! :)

I agree. I also have that bad habit :oops: and sewing cuts that way down. Once when I was really down, I was counceled to get back to my quilting. You just can't worry about other stuff when you are creating :thumbup: I also find myself looking at life differently when I'm quilting. Everything I see is fodder for my imagination and for a quilt pattern. So, there is beauty in everything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast