Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you quilt your own quilts?

I quilt all of mine myself.

Prior to getting my Bernina 830, I hand quilted many crib and twin sized quilts. I used SITD for any quilt larger than crib size, including king size (usually 120 x 120) I did send a special one to a longarmer a couple of years ago and it was reasonable and she did an awesome job on it. This past Christmas I machine quilted a king size for my DD. I used my Bernina 830 for that one and you can see the methodology here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t184776.html
    So I think it depends on what you like to do and what you feel comfortable doing. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

So far I do all my own quilting, mainly by hand. I've machine quilted some smaller wall hangings and baby quilts. I love to piece, then don't have the heart to send them out to be LA quilted. One day my thumbs and fingers are going to say, no more, then I will have to send them out. I hope to piece my log cabin star quilt this year, may try to machine quilt it myself.

Well, with the exception of 2 quilts, I have quilted all of my own. Personally (and please let us not start a ruckus over this, it is my OPINION) Personally, I feel like if I don't quilt my own, then I am a "piecer" not a "quilter" But I am not saying that is true of everyone, it's just how I feel about myself.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I have always quilted my own quilts. I started with the tacking when I was 19 yrs. old but then started quilting my own on the reg. sewing machine and about 3 yrs ago my DH bought me a long arm quilter, so now I do both. I do not advertize otherwise I would not have time to do my own. But my first reg machine quilt that I quilted--back in 1990 I used a white thread in the bobbin and red on top that way my pattern would show through the back as the top was quilted. Turned out ok. self taught, God and me and a book of instructions.

forgot. Yes, I have quilted all sizes on my reg sewing machine with no problem. It was a Brother machine I purchased back in 1960. currently I have a 1yr old Juki. and Like it alot.

Blog Entries
    I quilt my own and send out those that I don't have time for or King size that I can't fit on my frame. I like having a choice.

I quilt the majority of mine. Once in a while I'll send one to a longarm quilter if I don't have time to get it done or want something extra fancy on it. My main holdup was always getting them basted but once I discovered Sharon Schamber's board basting method I've been able to get even more quilts done.

Until my current project, I have quilted my own. My current project is a queen size quilt. I just don't think I can handle it on my machine. I just do overall meandering. My current project deserves a little more than that. I have attempted feathers, they were BAD! and I do mean bad. I will break down and pay for someone better qualified than I
    Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. John Wooden
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

I do mine from start to finish. I just feel like it's not mine unless I do all of it, but it's whatever works for you. I know my original LA teacher even sent some of hers out to this mother-daughter team to be quilted.

I tried on my regular machine and I took classes from several FMQ teachers, including Diane Guydanski, who all sew on regular Berninas. However, sewing on a regular machine bothered my shoulders (I tend to do larger quilts), so I learned to LA at the LQS near my old house. I took a class and then rented the machine by the hour (first they had a Non-regulated (NR) Nolting and then changed to an NR Gammill).

When we moved, the only place I could find to rent a machine used a different machine than what I learned on, so I would have had to take another class to learn their machine, plus their rental rate was twice what I had paid at my old store and I would have to bought my own leaders. After we settled in, the store then changed the LA machine they were using and weren't even renting time for a while. Luckily, it turned out I had enough money saved up and room that I could buy my Innova LA and I love it. I shopped around first before selecting my Innova.

I simply have to quilt my own. I design most of my quilts and, to me, quilting is part of the process. They would be prettier if I had them done, but some how it just wouldn't be mine.

Blog Entries
    I used to send mine out to a LA'er but I can't afford it any more. So, I bought some on-line FMQ classes and pored over TONS of Youtube videos and have been FMQ'ing my own now for a while. I also have a handquilting project going all the time. As soon as I finish one handquilting project, I immediately start another one so I have something to do in the evenings while I'm watching tv. I have surprised myself with how much like FMQ and handquilting. I'm also saving LOTS of money doing it on my own. A win-win for me
    Last edited by Val in IN; 04-21-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I hand quilt all my quilts.

I quilt all of my own quilts on my domestic machine. I really enjoy the process and the creative ideas that flow as you move the fabric under the neelde. I would love to have a long arm and I have the space for one, but not the budget!

My SSDI budget doesn't permit LA quilting. I do everything on my quilts, and I do it all by machine. I don't have a fancy machine, but it gets the job done none-the-less. I have found ways to make the task as easy on myself as possible and I love every step (some more than others, I confess).
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I machine piece but always hand quilt. I find that hand quilting is so relaxing and I enjoy doing it. I do some FMQ on such things as table cloths etc. , but feel a real sense of accomplishment after I have finished Hand quilting a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I've done a few straight line quilting and even did a fmq once or twice on a small one. Being visually impaired I get frustrated with the tucks and have a hard time ripping out all those stitches. La was soo expensive but luckily I found a lady who charges by the hr she's fast!!! so I got lucky! She's very busy but I try not to be impatient!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    So far I've done my own. I am trying to progress past SID so that is my current life challenge and I am up for it.

I can't afford to pay for my quilts to be quilted by anyone else. I do my own. I feel also that the quilt becomes less of yours for having someone else's work all over it. Just my humble opinion. For me, quilting is a hobby so there is no reason for hurrying to finish things to quickly make another one. However, those of you who sell quilts you make for orders or a business then obviously there is justification for it in my view. We are all different and hold different views, these are mine.

I quilt my own. I have 2 tables that go in front and beside my sewing cabinet and I wrestle the elephant on those. It's work, but they look nice and the recipients love them.

I first tacked and tyed but was very unhappy with it. Then I have hand quilted practically everything til acouple years ago when I tried straight line machine quilting. i like this for quilts that get a lot of rough and tumble wear like grandkids. I would love to learn to do the fancy FMQ i see on here, but I am not that brave yet!

I always quilt my quilts, up until recently I have always done hand quilting on everything including charity quilts, now I am beginning to see the advantage of machine quilting, mainly because it is so much faster, my machine quilting skills are about non existent but I forging ahead hoping that by some miracle I will become faboulous over night!

I quilt my own. Haven't made very many big ones, but feel I can't really say I made it unless I did it all myself. Improving with practice.....which will never make perfect, but that's OK. I really enjoy the quilting and binding part.

Blog Entries
    I do my own, am taking a craftsy class and am getting more and more relaxed. May not be super fancy, but I like the look and most of my quilts are donated
    Patski
    always learning

I have quilted a couple of small quilts on my machine, tied several larger quilts but in about 2 weeks I am going to use a LA to quilt. It will be my first time. Wish me luck
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast