Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much fabric do you buy?

If there is a particular line of fabric that I just can't leave the store without, I will buy enough of that line for basically a queen quilt. Otherwise, I have been trying to just buy for a project. My stash is basically nice scraps and a few just had to haves!! :-) I have some really beautiful patriotic fabrics that I have had for 2 years and just now working at finding a project for them. My best quilting friend only buys for specific patterns and she still has a nice stash and we usually make pretty 'bags' from our leftovers. Have fun - you'll find what works for you.

Blog Entries
    I used to buy 1 yd if I liked it, 2 yards if I loved it, 3 yards if I can't live without it or 5 -7 yards if it is slated for backing. Now my cupboards are full and I have scaled back to only buy when a project is missing something or I may pick up some charms or FQs here and there. The passion has turned into an obsession and I don't want to end up on TV on one of those hoarder shows.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Me, too. Just what I need. Even then its surprising how quickly a small stash can grow!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I usually buy 2-3 yds. If I buy pre cuts, then I look for something to go with it and then I buy 1 yd. If I see a print that calls my name then I'll buy at least 3 yds. (unfortuneately I have seen waaaaaay too many of those....)
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I like quilts that use lots and lots of different fabrics so I don't need much of each individual one. I buy only with specific projects in mind and get 1/2 to 1 yd of most fabrics unless I plan to use it for a border or background. I am just starting out though.

I'm one of those that only buy for specific projects. That said, I do over-buy when I do. Usually by at least a 1/2 yard. That's how I've built my stash. And thank goodness too, because apparently I can't read/add/multiply/divide! Just bought fabric for a large lap quilt last week. Decided to change things up from the pattern and didn't calculate the number of fabrics correctly. Discovered this after 12 out of the 16 blocks needed were complete. Off to my 'stash' and found 2 fabrics that worked and that I had enough. Whew! I really didn't want to have to put on 'real' clothes and pay full price even if it was for only a yard or so of fabric. Now working on the latest batch of HST's to make up the last 4 blocks. Thank heavens for a rotating cutting mat!

2-4, sometimes as much as 6-8 or a full bolt if it's something I use all the time. But...I put out about 150-300 quilts per year counting big ones and little "pup" size ones...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

3 yards, if it is really to die for 5, then if it is so darn cool I can't believe it, 8 yds.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

My favorite quilts are very scrappy. I'm also frugal and don't like to waste money on fabric I won't use. The first three quilts that I made were scrappy, but I went out and bought lots and lots of FQ or half yard cuts before each one. I ended up with lots of scraps

When I started planning seven quilts to give to family, I wasn't sure how to stockpile fabrics for them. Bonnie Hunter's scrap savers system at quiltville.com seemed just right for me. One thing she suggests is to cut 10.5" squares of fabric to piece backings. That seems to keep me from buying big yardages just in case I need them for backings. If I need something specific for sashes or borders for a certain quilt, I promised myself that I would buy them after I finished piecing the blocks. Then I started buying one yard cuts of fabric for cutting strips for piecing. I had to step away from quilting for a while, but every now and then I pick up a few one yard cuts of fabric , knowing that I have a cutting plan for strips and squares.
    Elizabeth

My favorite quilts are very scrappy. I'm also frugal and don't like to waste money on fabric I won't use. The first three quilts that I made were scrappy, but I went out and bought lots and lots of FQ or half yard cuts before each one. I ended up with lots of scraps

When I started planning seven quilts to give to family, I wasn't sure how to stockpile fabrics for them. Bonnie Hunter's scrap savers system at quiltville.com seemed just right for me. One thing she suggests is to cut 10.5" squares of fabric to piece backings. That seems to keep me from buying big yardages just in case I need them for backings. If I need something specific for sashes or borders for a certain quilt, I promised myself that I would buy them after I finished piecing the blocks. Then I started buying one yard cuts of fabric for cutting strips for piecing. I had to step away from quilting for a while, but every now and then I pick up a few one yard cuts of fabric , knowing that I have a cutting plan for strips and squares.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    I don't do that much anymore. Seems like the fabric I have bought like that I have a difficult time using them or adding fabric to do a top.
    Quilting in the Desert

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    I buy WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much and I know it...

My rule of thumb is:
    If I like it, I buy one yard...
    if I love it, I buy 3-5 yards...
    If I cant live without it, I buy the whole bolt...
    ( I do that alot !!!)
    You are just like me! I buy a lot of whatever is left on the bolt! Sometimes it's just 1 -2 yds., but sometimes it's 7 -8 yds. But it seems like I never have the right fabric for some part of each quilt. I guess I'll just do scrappy quilts from now on, and maybe -- just maybe -- I can use up some of my stash!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    I have waffled back and forth on this question many times over the years. At first I bought only what I needed for a project. Then I bought what I thought I loved in big quantities. Next I just bought FQ's to try to match up with my stash. Then I just tried to work only from my stash. Last year I went on a 10 day shop hop and purchased lots of kits. Finally I have realized that where I started at is what made me the happiest in my work. I like to have complete control over all of the fabrics I'm using in a project and I don't like to feel like I have to use just what I have because I have it already. I'm not really enjoying having a stash to feed and take care of anymore either. Too many pieces in it that I love but have never been able to make work in any of my projects and that makes me feel bad for buying it in the first place. So I'm going to go back to my roots when I'm next in a position to start picking and choosing again and will just work on one much loved project at a time. It's kind of funny too that my first several quilts were completely made up by me when I chose just one focus fabric to work with and then built the rest of the quilt and fabric choices around that main fabric. No one else even got to have a say in the patterns. It was pure bliss now that I look back at everything I've done. For me...less is more.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

If it is a great sale, I buy all they have if I really like it. Yesterday I found some "Valentine" fabric that was really nice feeling to the touch. I bought all they had which was just under 4 yards. I paid $2.86 for the entire piece. I have so much fabric (used to work in fabric for 3 years) I only buy what is on sale unless I need a special piece.

Blog Entries
    I am on fabric diet (starvation....no new fabric ) but my Daughter who is soon to be a Grandmother is so much fun to shop with ....She sees what she likes, takes armfuls of bolts to the counter, asks for x# of yards and then says "Oh just do not cut, I'll take the rest of the bolt" cannot imagine were she got this from Looking back over my shoulder i see the bolt with the remainder of the fabric from her wedding dress (35yrs ago). She has sons, she will soon have a grandaughter and the fabric will be used !

BTW her 'excuse' for buying the rest of the bolt is "whatever we have left from the nursery fabrics, Mom can use for the charity quilts" (she is right I will, saving a bit for memory quilt also)

Banned
    If I love it and think it'll be a useful fabric in several quilts I buy 3-5 yards depending on how good the sale price is.
    I rarely buy less than a yard. And only buy a FQ if it has a specific use in a quilt I'm currently constructing.

I can't afford to buy just because I like it. That said, I, have a lot of UFO's just waiting to be started! I like the idea of 3 yards, that sounds like a plan to me.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I read something in a magazine article about this subject. It said if you like the fabric buy 1 yard. If you really like it buy 2. If you find you can't live another minute without having it buy 3 yards. This is funny but still doesn't answer the question. I don't really know the answer. I usually buy 1 yard, if its on sale, I may buy more. If you decide to make a certain pattern, it may only call for 3 or 4 fabrics and you may not have enough, then you get to go back to the quilt shop! How awful!
    Mtn Mama

Way too much of any I see and like.
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

If I want fabric as a focus fab and as borders, I buy 4 yds since I like a wide border. I ususally try to buy fabric to go with pattern all at one time since that way I have enough of each fabric. ( or only what is needed.) I am not a great stash builder since I never seem to have the correct or right amount of fabric needed in my stash. If I am buying "go to gether fabrics" then I buy at least 1 yd of each. I also put fabric together with pattern and wright which goes where so I do not forget.

I buy three yards. Kudos to those who buy for a project, but if I see a fabric that calls to me I know I will find a project to use it. If I find a fabric that I absolutely love I will buy as much of it as I can afford and so far that has served me well.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board.

I would have liked to type this under a new heading, but I couldn't find any directions on how to do this. I have looked everywhere! I am having a problem figuring out how much material to get for a queen size quilt. The top will have 224 6.5 I squares. It will have 112 6.5 squares of one color and 112-113 squ. of another color. How many yards of each color would I need to buy? This is for mission sewing where we give a queen size quilt to the young people getting married in our parish. I had this figured out at one time, but sure can't get the figures to come out today. Too much fibro-fog. Thank you for all you help.
    Marilyn
    Marilyn

Since I love scrap quilts, I mostly buy fat quarters, and half yards. Border fabrics I will buy up to 3 yards. If not sure, usually buying a yard of something will give you plenty to work with.

At least one (1) yard.....if it appeals maybe 2.....if its a GOOD sale, enough for backing.

delma

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast