Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much time each day do you spend quilting (all at once) >

How much time each day do you spend quilting (all at once)

How much time each day do you spend quilting (all at once)

Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM

"In one sitting"????

Well I really don't sit all the time. Lots of time I sit to sew and stand to iron and walk to the other stations. Then when I'm longarming quilts, I stand almost exclusively...except for breaks.

I've been known to quilt for 3-4 hours without a break.

Whether I'm sewing or longarm quilting, I'm working on one project each day.

Nan - NW Indiana
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM

It depends upon what I am doing. If I am piecing I will usually stay at it 2-4 hours each day till it is done. But if quilting ( i do it on a regular sit down machine) one hour is as long as I can go without at least an hour ot two break since it is just physically harder work. I can sit in front of the TV and hand stitch binding for hours!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Let's see...I have 3 tops that I need to back, bind and quilt, BOM to finish, a quilt challenge to complete...oh look a squirrel! ADHD??? Also busy thinking of the next project I want to start. More coffee/caffeine needed here? Seriously, I too get bored easily and I can't seem to just have one project going at a time. I have to have the stimulation of lots of different fabrics, patterns, etc., to keep me interested. ADHD? Perhaps or more likely I have too many "great" projects to do in the years I have left, so I have to do numerous projects at a time.

Anita

P.S. Your friend's mother was just plain rude! There are no quilt police (as stated earlier) except for the officers who live in the deep recesses of your own mind. (Scary thought! We are our toughest critics, after all. We are our own quilt police).
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I also have several projects going at the same time. This is my therapy, and am enjoying it!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM

I currently have have 3 projects going...2 are what some would call UFOs since I started them last year and have seen completed several "new" quilts and 3 other UFOs. Since I work now about 60 hours a week, my quilting is usually left for the weekends for about 8 hours. During the week, I get up at 4am and spend about 1/2 hour on ironing strips or sewing 1-2 blocks on several mornings. I must say it has been quite an adjustment now that I am working and no longer in between jobs
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 PM

I find it varies on the day, sometimes I go into my sewing room and start doing something "small" and look out at the clock and find that 2 or 3 hours have passed
Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM

I have a few projects in different stages, and then I like to take a little playtime to work on new ideas. I'm still working, so I may spend a few hours an evening or two a week quilting - but then my weekends can become sewing marathons. If I get in what my husband calls "driven mode", I might work on one project all day long - don't take time to eat, stay up too late. I've been quilting for about a year and a half, and spend a ridiculous amount of time reading, researching and planning new projects. Just today I started thinking about flying geese quilts, and before I even took my coat off when I got home from work I was dragging out fabric to make some samples - now it's 10 o'clock and I have to make myself stop and start thinking about going to bed. I'm like this about every hobby I've ever had
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 AM

If it works for you, do it! I can't work on someone else's schedule. That's why I've never finished a BOM or quilt along quilt, or a mystery. Just not my style to sit and wait for the next step. I lose interest, mojo, and get just down right frustrated at the waiting. I sew everyday, about an hour at a time sitting. Any longer than that and my body starts telling me it's time to move or else. Currently I've 2 quilts on the design wall, one at the sewing machine, one on the cutting table, one on the frame and hand work in the living room. Your friends mother has a whole set of issues of her own...one being she's a control freak, and two she can't live in the moment. Now who's got issues you or her? Did you tell her how to live her life or make her quilts. I'd love to be able to stay on one project, when I first started quilting I did. Now that I'm older my body just can't take stay in one position for long periods of time. Heck I don't even sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time. Yep up and down all night, sleep a couple hours, up for a couple....every night.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I like to work on several different projects...usually have 4 or 5 " active" ones going at a time. (There are several also in time out...or ripening). I hand quilt in the evening while DH watches the tube,piece and quilt several hours a day. Every now and then,I just sit down and finish something so I can make room for more. I'm retired now and have been advised to " do what makes me happy".
I love that phrase 'in time out' I have a few uncooperative projects of my own.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 AM

Aww, Bless her heart.

I have 3 baby quilts on long arm waiting their turn, 2 BOM's cut and in line at my regular machine and a stack of onesies ready to be hooped for embroidery machine, and a hand project in each car in case I forget my "something to do bag" while waiting on anything. Project ADHD, maybe but it's how I work, and I work well like this. Everyone is an individual and has their own way of groovin thru their day and that is how it should be or it would be a boring, boring place to be. Just enjoy how you work and smile and wave at the rest of the world :-)

T