Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: How much time each day do you spend quilting (all at once)

I always have 3 to 5 different projects going. One is usually near completion, but is very tedious work so it gets just a little time each day. I try to keep a project ready and in a go bag that I can take with me for those days where you sit and wait (hospital visits come to mind). There is often times one project in the planning stages or don't have all the fabrics gathered yet. And there is usually one that is very quick and simple for those days where I need an easy project. Each project has its own little plastic tub to keep everything together. So depending on the day, I grab whichever project is appropriate and go to it. Today (whenever I get off the internet) it will be doing some fmq on my denim squares quilt inbetween cleaning and laundry. I try to get in as much quilting time as possible, but some days it doesn't happen, and some days I get to quilt all day!

I don't have a specific schedule for sewing/quilting. I have an extremely bad back and cannot sit at the sewing machine for long. I iron on a small board in my easy chair. Also have macular degeneration and vision is getting so much worse so I work a while and then have to take a break to rest my eyes. I think it is important to keep going, just to do the best you can with what you have left. This week my needle threader on my machine quit and I had to have my husband thread the machine for me. Gonna have to get that fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtree View Post
    Aww, Bless her heart.

T
    I love a good southern woman's sweet way of reprimanding someone.

Like the majority I have more than one project I am activly working, a mystery quilt, a queen quilt for my nephew, a fws that I do a block or two at a time and a leaders and enders quilt that i don't really count. I am also helping a friend make a fidgit quilt for her mom with Alzheimer's. Then I have 3 tops I need to get backings pieced for, 3 more I have borders for just hate having to get on the floor to measure and cut the longer and larger pieces.

I like that I can walk into my room and spend a few minutes gathering fabrics, or arranging blocks on my design board. Sometimes I go in to sew for 20 minutes and I don't leave for 4 hours sewing, ironing and cutting. I don't like to sit for more than 40 minutes at a time. But there is always something for me to stand and do.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    I'm also retired and my sewing room is my retreat. My husband is gone in the evenings and I'm alone and that's when I do my quilting. I only work on one project at a time to completion. That works for me. My personality requires me to have order. No right or wrong..personal choice. Sometimes I sew the whole evening away and other days not so much. I am so thankful for this hobby and that I control my time now that it's mine to control. My sister who is my mentor told me when I began that there are no rules. Just do what works for you!!!!!

It just depends. Usually every day I wander into the sewing room and do something even if it's just to fondle the fabric. I do have several projects going but have nine tops waiting to be sandwiched. I do a marathon sandwiching session (or until my back gives out). I like to have a pile of tops ready to be quilted or bound. that's my favorite part of quilting.

I usually have several projects going on at the same ime, they are all in differnet stages. Right now, I'm handquilting a king size quilt for my sister, putting scraps together to make 4 1/2" blocks, which will then be sewn together for a baby quilt(or several), I'm starting to cut out sqares for another jean quilt, putting the binding on a jean quilt, sewing blocks together for another quilt that I have cut out. I eventually get the quilts done.

I usually do not have two projects going at the same time. I used to do more than one and I found that I was losing control over my UFOs. Usually I finish the tops and then wait until a sale comes along for the backing. I usually put in about 4 hours a day quilting. I am lucky that I am retired and my husband likes to play on the computer.
    Carmen E.

Well meant advice, but do it the way you want to! Sounds like changing projects keeps you from getting bored and giving up the whole hobby. There are no rules! Do what works for you.

When I'm working on a project I give it from 2 to 4 hours a day, usually. Sometimes other obligations or duties interfere (the house will not clean itself no matter how long I wait, I've realized!). I used to sew a lot while working full time -- would come home, cut out a dress, sew it, and wear it the next day -- but I don't have that energy or dedication any longer. I admire those of you who can find time for quilt making while working full time and having a family. Pretty sure I couldn't do that, so I'm glad I waited until retirement to take up this hobby.

Well, I have undiagnosed ADHD and I can spend as little as an hour or as much as 6 hours in one sitting in my quilting room. It depends, for me anyway, on how focused I can stay on the project. I use qwuilting as my therapy to help me center and focus when I am scattered, and it works!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

To the one who said you have to finish one project before starting another one, I would just tell her that the way I work works for me. I like the statement about a quilt being in time out. I guess I have one of those. It was my first attempt at a long star, with each individual diamond cut individually, and sewn individually. It won't lie flat. The top is done, and some day I may try to finish it. I also have a number of projects from a class. I tend to want a bigger quilt than what was proposed for the class and could possibly be finished in one 6-8 hour class day. So I have a lot of those that aren't quite finished. How long can I go at a time? Well, at retreats, get a good breakfast, get started quilting by 9 am, nibbling at snacks during the day, possibly stopping for dinner, and quitting around 11 pm. I generally take a number of projects to finish there and typically get a lot done. That's a little harder to do at home. There are more distractions there, but I can do a whole day quilting.
    Sue Wilson

I let myself quilt as long as I want to on week day evenings (1-3 hours) as long as I have exercised for at least 45 min that day. I sit at my job all day and I know I can't sit all evening too even if I'm quilting!

I used to set and quilt and push myself until I would burn out. Now I quilt when I feel like it and take all the time I want to. I make fewer mistakes and enjoy the process more. I don't quilt every day sometimes I go a week or more without sewing at all. Then I get going again and feel refreshed and ready to get going again.

sewing - 15 minutes
    reading the quilting board - a lot more than that

I, too, am a many-projects-at-once person! Right now I'm concentrating on completing a throw for my MIL that I "gave" to her for Christmas but which wasn't finished. Therefore, I'm really working on only one project until it's finished. However, I have fabrics gathered for several other quilts and ideas in my head for at least a dozen more! Having read this thread I can tell you that you are not alone in your situation! As others have said, there are no rigid rules and no one right way. Go at your own pace, work on however many projects you want to do, relax, and ENJOY!

Power Poster
    I sometimes can spend 4-6 hours a day "quilting" - which involves picking out fabrics for a project, preparing that fabric, cutting, sewing, piecing, quilting, etc. There are other days when I can only sew/quilt for an hour or two, depending upon my back and whether or not my carpal tunnel decides to make my life painful. Although I have been known to work on quilt projects for 15-30 minutes before work, another 30-60 hrs. after work and anywhere in between - it just all depends on whether or not I have a deadline to meet. Now that we're both retired, I had hoped to be able to spend more time quilting, however, that hasn't really happened; especially since my DH can no longer drive, plus I don't get up as early as I used to, so my time is limited on some days.

It depends on my mood. It can be hours or 20 minutes. I have heard advice that even if you can only get in 10 minutes, it's good. I also look at what project needs to be done or just tells me it wants to be finished, so I can work on a couple different ones or just one in a day.

You do what feels right to you, not what your friend's mom says.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty as to how you quilt or arrange your time. There is always someone who will criticize the way you do something because it is not how they work. Do it to suit yourself and enjoy the process.

No rules in quilting, do whatever pleases you.
    I prefer to finish one quilt at a time. Easier for me to store finished quilts than unfinished quilts.
    I sew everyday, evenings during work week and weekends while I do chores. I work full time have, three cats, a small dog, a puppy 3 months old and a cockatiel.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Being a beginner I limit myself to 1 project at a time and being disabled I can't sit & sew or cut ect for long stretches of time, perhaps as I improve I can have a couple of things going at once but for now my pain limits me to how long I can go. Even with medication I still depend on my heating pad for extra relief to the point that I have burn marks or scars just to feel some relief. But believe me I'd rather be sewing

Quote Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
    I have several projects going at once.....like cutting out one project, putting together another project on the wallboard, piecing and sewing, sandwiching, sewing on binding, hand-quilting. I know that sounds like a lot, but I find I get bored easily working on one thing for long lengths of time (probably ADHA that was never diagnosed! LOL) I have a friend's mother who quilts and tells me that is not the way to do things. She says I should never start something until I have finished the first thing. So, with all that being said how many hours a day do you spend in one sitting just doing 1 thing?
    Something tells me that she is probably also the type to tell you how to clean your house, your kitchen, how to discipline your kids/grandkids, etc.

I like variety too. Don't worry about what she says. Probably not one of Bonnie Hunter fans or BOM (block of the month) people follow her advice. BH fans always have at least 2 quilts going on as one is a leader/ender project and obviously BOM people have multiple projects.

Ignore this kind of advice if it doesn't work for you. It is only her opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    I can't stand UFO's, and try to finish something before starting something else, and can't understand how anyone else can stand the chaos caused by multiple UFO's, but that's me and I realize we're all different. When thinking about you crazy ufo-collecting people (LOL , I console myself with the fact that I don't have to live in your sewing room, and I'm so very thankful that you don't live in mine! Signed, your OCD quilting friend!
    although I work on multiple projects at the same time I am very organized- there is no 'chaos' in my sewing room- I have very few UFO's (since those are usually the ones we put away and may never finish- I have many WiP's (works in progress. so, i'm not a 'crazy ufo collecting person' I often suddenly find I have 4 or 5 quilt tops done in one weekend- because they reach a point where everything comes together- then I may spend the next week or so getting them quilted- so other projects may be left for a few days/week but they are still organized, ready- not sent to the closet with the ufo's that may never get finished. ( I will admit I do have one of those- it is 10 years old now) but other than that project I keep working on the on-going ones- no chaos involved.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have spent all day quilting - it's been ecstasy! I stopped long enough to talk to my mom for a while (and even then, I did a little piecing and ironing while we talked), to go to the LQS to pick up two half yards and some thread, and to grab some lunch and eat it (I read and might have posted here during that period LOL). I'd keep going too, but for the fact I'm due to meet my husband at a friend's house for dinner tonight. It's rare I have these types of days, but I wish I had more of them - with the men out of the house, I've been able to do exactly what I want to do without feeling guilty!

I used to have these days when my kids were younger and went to their dad's house every other weekend, and I was single. Just spending time in the studio with no other plans ... I really have to start scheduling a few of these every so often; I forgot how much I enjoy it. :-)

Right now I have one ready to quilt, two ready to be pinned then quilted, 2 that need the backs pieced, then pinned and quilted. I belong to a doll club (American Girl) and I spend the week after we meet making doll clothes to have something ready to show at the next meeting. I'm doing a quilt where I get the instructions in a magazine every two months -- when the magazine comes I spend the next couple of days making those blocks and then am ready for the next installment of the magazine. In between times I piece any quilt I want to work on. Each project progresses each month and I keep my interest in all the projects. Even though I'm retired I don't always get to sew -- the last two weeks have been spent taking care of my Mom who needed some attention due to medical issues. I should be able to get back to my fun stuff this week.

I took a 4 week class on MINI quilts, each class was 4 hours long. By the end of the class I was about bonkers. Like most of you I am doing many things at the same time. To sit for 4 hours and work on one project and listen to all the hoopla and being told by a young girl I would do better if is slowed down when I was sewing. Just was more than I can handle. When I got home I made the same Mini in 35 minutes and started diner and fed the dogs.
    Life is Great and then I have to go to WORK.
    Jarenie

Blog Entries
    I'm going to say I work on 1 project at a time. In the beginning, I would have 3-4 thing's going at once. Got too many projects going at once. So now, i work on just a quilt. I get thing's cut out, and eventually pins thing, and sew the pinned pieces, and cut the pieces to the size I need. And then sew the pieces in to a block.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3