Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you charge for an applique quilt like this in queen size?

Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    What an awesome quilt!! I don't have a clue, looks like a lot of work!
    Ditto! I love it! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Of course the labor was included (and no....not everything is made in China- I have been shopping this week for furniture made in Americia)...people made all of the items...Quilts are like a home, stock market ect...the prices go up and down depending on the economy, and supply and demand. The quilt is machine made unlike the Amish quilts - the prices of the Amish quilts have also come down in prices. The quilt is very beautiful...but Sadly many people in todays economy are losing houses, jobs, etc...those who have not are being very careful with spending not like a few years ago when folks were charging everything and getting into debt and buying items that they could not afford. I personally think Eddy qouted a fair price but in the end it was still too much at this time for the client. Hopefully someone on that loves the quilt and has the income/buget can buy it. He now may beable to ask for more and who knows...maybe someone on this board has a friend that would pay 1,200 for that wonderful, beautiful quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    just thinking...1,400 is more than my Stainless steel stove, my berber carpet in my livingroom, hallway installed and stairway, more than my oak rolltop desk, more than my kitchen table...all hard wood, more than my stainless frig, more than my floors in my kitchen, window installed, my Accuquilt Studio and dies, more than my livingroom set (yes I do buy when all are on sale)...the only thing I can think of that is less ...is my sewing machine...sorry...1,400 is too much for a quilt that only my husband and I would see... (my honest opinion) but there may be people out there that have huge bank accounts...and the only quilt I would hand down...would be one made from a family member. My thought would be...How much would I pay for the quilt...if I was selling one..we can not use the amount of time...sadily that does not count...so I would double the amount of how much I spent on fabric....Nope I would never get rich on quiliting...think I will keep my day job.
    Since when does your labor time not count? When you hire work done on your home or your car, do you not get charged by the hour? I always figure costs on what I need to make per hour... plus materials. If they don't want to pay it, they don't have to hire me.

I don't think highly skilled craftsmen need to sell themselves or their work short. Especially with all the crap being made in China today, local handmade goods should be at a premium.

You are looking at a minimum of 80 hours of work for the leaves only--that's 2 weeks of skilled labor, plus you have your piecing and quilting on top of that. For your quality of work--which is absolutely gorgeous--I would consider 1,200 for labor only and add the cost of materials on top of that at a minimum. It is worth more than that--I have seen quilts with labor like this sold at our quilt show for 2,000--which for your quality of work is well worth it. Don't sell yourself short. You have built your reputation and need to be paid for it. Love your quilts!

In this area of the country that we live in I think your offer was very fair. Your quilt is beautiful and each of us feel our quilts are worth a lot as not only do we invest our time but also put a bit of ourselves into each one. I was once told it is only worth what the people can pay.

It sounds like the lady has ASK you to make one & that you have not actually started it yet. That leaves it open to name your price. It is beautiful I would start around $1500 & see what her reaction is. She may jump at that price or she may come back with a lower price. You should have in mind the very least you would sell it for. I would get 50% down before you even start it.

Someone on here said 3 x the cost of materials.........

I agree, cost of materials x's 4. That is a beautiful quilt! Nice work.

Patti Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Jbarrow
    Someone on here said 3 x the cost of materials.........
    I think that has changed (at least around here) with the cost of fabric, thread etc. Looks to me like that is going to be a lot of work esp. going to be Queen size.

Patti Sue

Blog Entries
    I keep hearing about the economy and cost of quilts. 132,000 people signed up, day one, to buy the new Iphone that will cost them between 2,300. and 3,100. per year in operating costs plus the cost of the phone itself. It is a luxury item. A quilt will keep you warm for 50+ years and be handed down for some more years and you think 400. to 600. is a high price for our handiwork, time and materials. This logic escapes me. If we don't believe in the value of our work, its no wonder people offer so little to buy it. I will not sell a bed size quilt for less than $600.00. I use the best materials and I make each as if its the last quilt I will ever make. I feel they are getting a bargain at $600.00. I sell 6-10 bed size quilts per show. If they ask for a discount, I simply inform them that I do not discount my quilts. We must value our workmanship so others will also.

I charge $25/hr for designing and making a wedding gown PLUS materials ... a simple A-line gown is at least 20 hrs....That being said, I would charge by the hour + materials. Determine your worth and use the time you spent on the lap quilt as a guide x the increased size from lap to queen...

Blog Entries
    I agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    oh, I forgot to say.....GORGEOUS QUILT :)
    :thumbup:

If I am doing the math.......that is like just over $300.00 plus materials....that's just over ...$500.00....I guess the point is that if you sell this one on the low side, others will want to have something at that same price...plus the cost of cotton is going up......material, thread and batting costs will be higher....I know that I pay 1 1/2cents per sq. in.... plus batting and thread..so a king with just one design of quiting and varigated thread cost me, 2 years ago, just over $200.00......and I made the quilt...A lap sized cost me just over ...$100.00 plus what it cost me to make the quilt..I have seen quilting costs from 1.1 to 1.5 cents per sq. in. or some charge by the foot....$1.75 to$2.00 per sq in....then plus thread and batting....I she wants you to do the binding, then that has been about 15 cents per inch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie
    Do comparison checking on ebay or there are a lot on etsy too.
    I think e-bay prices are low, because some of the persons on there are not quilters. perhaps heirs, or investors in merchandise...

I have been doing craft shows for17 years now and had a tendency to always go low. While in some parts of our city the people you are selling to are low imcome but most of the schools and churches have all incomes. Then we have some really big show like during the international ballon festival. I found that when I upped my prices so that I felt like was getting paid for my time I sold more. People won't value your work unless you do. If I wanted to only pay 300.00 to 500.00 for a quilt I would go to the flea market or hit the estate sales. You want to be known by the quailty of your work not the quanity.

Blog Entries
    Wow, what exquisite work ! I think the difference in suggested prices is due to the different sections of the country, and,possibly, rural vs urban. If your customer ordered 3 quilts from you this past year, she's happy with your work. I would tell her up front (or invoice) that the cost of materials & the cost of labor = whatever you decide.As an appraiser told me, your quilts are art quilts, not utilitarian quilts. In MHO, $1200-$1400 is not too much.Or check some of the shops around the country - they
    charge for ironing the top, batting, & add on a price /inch for piecing, preparation & quilting and binding! Good luck!
    P.S. Besides, due to poor weather onditions, cotton has increased in cost by 50%.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    After a LOT of thinking, playing with numbers in my spreadsheet, etc., I e-mailed her a proposal this morning which was $650.74, and included the cost of materials at $246.68, so my labor would have been $404.06. She decided she didn't want to spend that much for a quilt for a guest bedroom, so now we are looking at a much simpler pattern (no applique) and I sent her an estimate for that one and she agreed with it. So we're going to look at fabrics together on Friday. In a way, I'm relieved because I really wasn't looking forward to doing all of that applique again!
    This sounds like a good outcome. She said she wanted it, but she didn't realise the work that would go into it, so now she is choosing something else- perfect!

I would have priced it as other professionals price their work- with an itemised quote. Then if she didn't like the price she could look at it and say "could you do it with fewer leaves to save labour costs" or whatever. The danger with this is that you end up a design that you might not be too thrilled about, but then again if she is commissioning it, she does get to decide, within reason.

To the people who said to price it low as a way to get business- we could all be working 24/7 if we worked for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    I charge $25/hr for designing and making a wedding gown PLUS materials ... a simple A-line gown is at least 20 hrs....That being said, I would charge by the hour + materials. Determine your worth and use the time you spent on the lap quilt as a guide x the increased size from lap to queen...
    i'm curious. how many hours do you estimate it will take to make the quilt? (btw. i would charge at least $1600 in this area, and it would sell. it might be a little less in yours. that i don't know)
    if she knew how many hours it took + the cost of the materials, you might not have any problem asking it's real worth.

EDIT to add: i just saw your post. at the proposed price, what was your hourly rate?

WOW Beautiful quilt. Great colors. You did an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    i'm curious. how many hours do you estimate it will take to make the quilt? (btw. i would charge at least $1600 in this area, and it would sell. it might be a little less in yours. that i don't know)
    if she knew how many hours it took + the cost of the materials, you might not have any problem asking it's real worth.

EDIT to add: i just saw your post. at the proposed price, what was your hourly rate?
    It came out to less than $4 per hour. Which is a reason I was kind of relieved she didn't want to go forward with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWChick
    You want to be known by the quality of your work not the quantity.
    I need to paint that on a BIG sign and hang it in my studio!! :D

WOW!! What a beautiful quilt. Lots of work put into it. Don't have any idea on how to price it.

Absolutely beautiful. We never get value for our time. It`s your call. I would say $800.00. but again I`m not seeing the quilt, only a picture. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie

It came out to less than $4 per hour. Which is a reason I was kind of relieved she didn't want to go forward with it.
    at that rate, wanna make me a queen sized quilt? i'll pick that pattern :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.

NEVER undervalue yourself.
    edit to add: she was very foolish not to know a steal when it was offered to her. she could obviously afford to have quilts custom made and she should have worked out a payment plan or pay-as-you-go kind of thing with you. her loss.

$1200 at least just for the quilt. The shams would be extra. Your quilt is beautiful.

working on a scrappy UFO behind my Viking
    Blog Entries
    WOW!!!Really stunning. Nothing less than $1850

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast