Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: how neat are you?

I must admit I am also a slob and sew in piles, everywhere.

I was trying to think how to improve my sewing room so I have more space and came up with a great solution for all those cottons you have hanging around in drawers etc. I have a lot of old videos that are not working good any more. Why not put a colored paper cover into the sleeve of the video cover and put the same colored cottons in them. You could probably take a pic and put it on the front letting you know what is in it. When you finish just replace it back beside the others like a book on the shelf. Some of the older covers are bigger and will take the larger reels of cottons. Even buy some boxes that look like that and do the same thing. You can do it for small pieces of lace and buttons, beads, what ever you want. What do you think of that idea?

Guilty :oops:

Ok my 2 cents I have taken over 2 rooms (kids are sleeping with my stash) and I sew out in my family room. I have stuff all over the kids pick threads off of me and themselves all the time!!! But I am alowed to make a mess right? I cleam up after all of them (see how I justified my mess hehe!)

I have got my sewing room 1/2 re-arranged. Just got another metal shelving unit for my books. At the moment most of my fabric has moved to the spare room until I finish moving the furniture around. i will send pic when I finally get it done, hopefully next weekend.

Blog Entries
    Right now I have to be neat. Got my sewing room organized by writing down what was in every drawer, cabinet etc. in a spiral notebook. Could go right to whatever I was looking for. Then we got the bright idea to sell our home. Now everything has to be neat and tidy 24/7 in case someone wants to look at the home. Hope to sell soon, I have a nice sewing room/computer room. Lots of built in cabinets at top and drawers at bottom. I'm already designing my next room in the next house, when that happens. Wish us luck....but I like things neat and in their place, but I don't know how anyone can be neat when they are doing a quilting project, Things just get crazy......

I have to start with a clean slate….. but it soon gets real messy……. It looks like a mess to someone else…… but I know where everything is that am working with….. I tell anyone who comes into my sewing room …… don’t move any thing or you might mess It up in here…….. and that’s the truth. ..Ha ha

My sewing area is behind the couch in a corner of the living room. I have my large cutting table on one wall and across from it is my sewing machine on a desk and beside that on the right I have a cabinet for my serger and things to the left of my desk is my bookshelf with quilting books. I store all my fabric in 68L totes with labels on them. I am very neat when doing a project as well I sort it into catagories and always brush my mat each time I cut on it I have a garbage on my table with the brush as well as my iron. I also have my queen size quilting design board on 1 wall, such a fantastic idea and keeps my room cleaner, I just put my project on it instead of laying it on my cutting table.
    Sorry for the long post. :)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroltee
    I have to start with a clean slate….. but it soon gets real messy……. It looks like a mess to someone else…… but I know where everything is that am working with….. I tell anyone who comes into my sewing room …… don’t move any thing or you might mess It up in here…….. and that’s the truth. ..Ha ha
    I'm the same way, Well said... but, on occasion I do lose something in the mix, notion, block, daughter.. (just kidding on the daughter, I usually find her under the desk) ..lol

My DD says I take over the room and she has to move elsewhere in order to do anything.

I am now marking all my boxes with what is in them and even the lever arch books are being sorted and marked so I can find which has wall quilts, cushions, large quilts etc. that will still take a while. Can any one tell me please how do you stop the glare getting in your eyes when your machine is in front of the window. It is the only place I ca put it so I can get round my sewing room,PLEASE?

Blog Entries
    Same here. It's not quilting unless there is a mess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    I am now marking all my boxes with what is in them and even the lever arch books are being sorted and marked so I can find which has wall quilts, cushions, large quilts etc. that will still take a while. Can any one tell me please how do you stop the glare getting in your eyes when your machine is in front of the window. It is the only place I ca put it so I can get round my sewing room,PLEASE?
    I have my machine with a window right behind it so I too get a lot of glare. I have those plastic blinds...I call them modern venetian blinds with the horizontal slates and I turn them up so that the light is not shining right in but I still have fairly good light and that seems to help. I would think curtains might block off the light too much. Don't know if you would want to buy those kind or perhaps you could just hang a light gauze curtain over the window so that it would cut th glare but still let light in????

I'm messy. I'm new to this and have not designated an area for anything. Quilting makes a mess fast!! Right now I have my project all over my livingroom. I do clear up periodically, but I definitely need some organization in my quilting life. I have the room to make a "sewing room," but I like sewing at my "breakfast" table! It's got the best view of everything and is close to the kitchen! I at least need to make a place and buy the stuff I need to store my little (but growing) collection of fabric, battings, notions. Maybe this weekend...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9