Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you change your needle?

Blog Entries
    I adhere to the strict rules of the quilt police and change my needle every.....wait, what quilting police? Hehehe....i just change mine when I notice a diffetence in my machine stitching...n

Blog Entries
    Whenever I start to have problems. Was quilting a taffeta vest and it was skipping large stiches then the thread was fraying. changed the bobbin, rethreaded, still same problem. change to a needle with a large eye voila no more problems. Usually change needle after quilting King or, Queen.

I too just got some titanium needles and will see how they work. Before I would change my needles when the thread started to break or machine started to make a funny sound. On my new Bernina I change the needle all the time just in case because the machine cost so much. I want to get some of the titanium needles for my quilting machine if they make then. The ones I bought for my Brother do not fit my HQ.

I guess I'm odd because I have a "method" for this.

I have a little plastic case that I keep my bobbins and needles in. I clean my machine after 5 bobbins and change my needle after 10 bobbins.

So, I only wind 5 bobbins at a time. Once they are gone I clean the machine, wind up 5 more, put my needles into the slot closest to the new wound bobbins, and begin stitching again. Once those bobbins are gone I clean my machine and remember it is time to change the needle because the needles are in the slot beside my bobbins. After this I then put the needles in the far left slot so I know that I did it.

Sad how anal I am, but too many other things going on in a regular day and it is the only way I can remember to do these things.

Suzanne

Blog Entries
    when it Breaks.. shame on me?
    MK

It's already too late when you hear the pop but that does it for me too!

Speaking of needles.....when piecing a quilt top, what size needle do you use?

Religiously with every break ....

Titanium needles last way longer than the regular ones. I change when I remember, which sometimes is a LONG time.

every new project for me

On my longarm, I change the needle with each quilt. On my Janome, I change it when I start having problems or hear the popping sound.

Blog Entries
    guess I am to fussy as I change with each new project and also size according to thread used some require a larger needle eye but I do lots od different things

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I switched to all titanium coated machine needles. They stay sharp much longer then regular needles. It's been months since I changed because of the needle being dull.
    Something to consider. I was told by my Pfaff service techie not to use titanium needles, because they will do more harm to your machine and bobbin assembly/hook etc. because they don't break. Haven't used one since.

Blog Entries
    I'm still hoping to make some sort of connection between changing needle and changing blade.

Whenever I need to, which isn't anywhere close to 8 hours of sewing. I might change to a slightly bigger needle when doing actual machine quilting, but after I'm done, I put the same smaller needle back in and put the one I just used, back in my pin cushion. Personally, I think the needle makers say 8 hours, so you'll buy more needles.

Usually when it makes a "pop" sound or breaks! My bad!!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I switched to all titanium coated machine needles. They stay sharp much longer then regular needles. It's been months since I changed because of the needle being dull.
    and where did you find such a needle ?Pray tell !

I discovered that needles can be "sharpened" with the emory stone that came with my Gingher scissors.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswews
    and where did you find such a needle ?Pray tell !
    Superior Threads
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...words=titanium

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
    when it Breaks.. shame on me?
    MK
    I think I've broken maybe 4 needles at the most in the last 12 years. If I waited until they broke, I'd be sewing with a stub!

Change those needles! A good place to buy reasonable priced needles is, http://www.discountembroiderysupply.com/

A sharp needle is better for your project AND your machine!

I too don't change them often enough. I don't change them after every project because a lot of the time it is a small project. So I do it when I think it has been in there long enough. I do clean the bobbin case out often.

I change mine after about 10 hours of quilting. I am anxious to try the new titaium needles.

I can't afford to change my needle if it doesn't need it. I wait for it to break, bend, or pop. Same with rotary cutter blades. When it doesn't cut clean I change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    The thread about rotary cutters got me thinking. How often do I change my needle compared to how often do I change my rotary blade? If the needle needs to be changed every so many hours, maybe I could tie my blades to that.

I usually change when I hear the needle 'pop' while going through the fabric.
    Your avatar is beautiful...

I didn't even know you're supposed to change them regularly until I had my problems with my machine at a quilting class! Afterwards, I rushed over to the shop where I bought my machine to see what was wrong. The helpful salesperson told me that I should change it after every 8 hrs. or so of sewing. It immediately fixed the problem. Who knew? Now I do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast