Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How a Quilt Might be Used >

How a Quilt Might be Used

How a Quilt Might be Used

Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Default How a Quilt Might be Used

For me -

Some quilts just beg to be cuddled under.
Some quilts look like they just want to be admired from afar.
Some quilts look like it's okay for the kids to make tents with.

Do any of you have quilts that feel "warm and cozy" - even when they are made of ordinary cotton and not flannel?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Some quilts just like to be praised for their beauty.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Not really. I tell all of my recipients to use them. My niece makes tents with hers, but she won't share it with anyone.
Mike
Old 09-29-2017, 12:16 PM

This is how I prefer my quilts to be used! There are 4 grands under there having cousin-camp!
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

That picture is so cute!! I bet they're having a ball.
I want people to enjoy the quilts I give them. Whatever they choose to do with them is fine with me.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Tied quilts always feel just a little extra "cozy" to me - almost certainly because my grandmothers amazingly warm and cozy wool quilts were always tied. I don't think they're actually any warmer, they just "seem" that way to me.

Patched and repaired quilts also feel extra cozy to me. It's all the extra love that's been stitched into them over the years.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

my cousin is due with her first baby in December. she will get two baby quilts. one for her to admire from afar. and one for the baby to use and enjoy and play with.

I do have some quilts that just beg to be held, and some just to look at. then there's my funky farm quilt, that begs to be looked at and begs to be played with. Maybe this cousin will get this quilt too.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:30 PM

With one exception, I don't quilt closely, so most of mine are cuddly, but my favorite had a plushy batting from Hobbs. As soon as I use up some of my stash, I want some more. The cuddliest? Not a quilt, but a mandala printed throw with light batting and fleece on the back. I did two at Christmas and had a hard time wrapping them.

I quilted a wallhanging closely just to see if I liked it and I couldn't get out of the house fast enough. My oldest daughter loves it so it's it on her sewing room wall. She indicated she'd like a quilt done like that. I told her she could borrow a 301 and learn to do it herself, because it's a never again for me. It was not cuddly!!!

Edited to add; When they leave me they belong to the recipient and hopefully will be well used. One grandson is using his Quilt of Valor for his dog's bed. When his mother talked to him about it, he said Zeus is his baby and deserves the best, plus grandma is a dog lover and she won't care. He's right. On the other hand when he receives the Tree of Life quilt currently on the machine that is his wedding gift, I don't expect to see it on the floor.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 09-29-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I have donated lots and lots of my quilts and have no idea what becomes of them. I do hope they are well liked and treated well. Some I have given to family and friends I hope are used. Once I give then away I don't really think of them.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Jillmc, Love the quilts in your picture.