Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How to store fabrics?

I am brand new to all this, and just bought a bunch of fabric at the sales. How to you store your fabric. And does it get crease marks from the folds over time?

Blog Entries
    Me too...I have seen some ideas but I do not have a large area for storage or a large book self....I am thinking smaller white containers on wheels. Joanne has them on sale today. My closet is full of fabric and just seems so messy. I organize it...but as soon as I need some fabric it becomes a mess.

I store mine out of direct sunlight and refold every now and again as I do my quilts. Refolding usually happens when I get a whim to clean my sewing room!!

mine are just folded up on a bookshelf. They are in the basement w/ minimal sunlight..

I store my small fabric pieces by color in clear boxes. I've heard that plastic is not good for them but I haven't had a problem. Creases do form over time and I don't refold them..... I have a lot of fabric. I just iron out the creases when I'm ready to use them. Spraying with a little spray sizing helps keep my small pieces firm till they are sewn into a quilt. Don't used starch..... it's made of grain that attracts critters.

I have mine in plastic bins with lids - even though we are told not to do this. I put plenty of natural camphor wood chips in each bin. If i leave the stuff in cardboard or cloth bags, the silverfish and moths get into it and I can't afford that. The creases iron out OK.
    When the quilt is finished, I roll it and put it inside a tyvec bag.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Me too...I have seen some ideas but I do not have a large area for storage or a large book self....I am thinking smaller white containers on wheels. Joanne has them on sale today. My closet is full of fabric and just seems so messy. I organize it...but as soon as I need some fabric it becomes a mess.
    I have some of the clear storage bins on rollers. Got them at WalMart for under 10.00 ea. They work great and are very handy :lol:

I store mine organized by color on vinyl shelving in the closet. I keep the closet doors closed except when getting something out or putting it away. I have them folded, but haven't bothered to refold them now and again and haven't had any problems yet with creases. I use spray sizing and that removes the creases.

Why are we not supposed to use storage bins?
    JulieM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I store mine out of direct sunlight and refold every now and again as I do my quilts. Refolding usually happens when I get a whim to clean my sewing room!!
    This is what I do too... if I don't have time to refold, I just rotate the stacks around :D:D:D

I store mine in clear plastic containers in the closet. Have not had a problem with that BUT I haven't even thought about refolding. Good question to bring up. Will be looking for more responses to this.

where doyou get the wood chips?

I refold them according the yardage of the piece and they are neatly stored in cabinets in my "sewing" (family) room. The one's that don't fit into the cabinets (because they are totally full) are neatly put into Large clear Rubbermaid totes and are in the garage, right outside my Sewing room. I do not go back and refold them again and again. I just press out the creases

I have my fabric wrapped onto acid-free boards & stored in bookcases out of direct sunlight. I sort them by size (FQ, 1/2 yd, 1 yd, > 1yd) and then by color.

I do keep my FQ in plastic bins, but they get so much usage I don't worry about mildew or bugs.

I do use starch on my fabrics and haven't had issues with bugs, but then I only starch when I press them for a project, not before.

I started off using a shoe bag storage that hangs in my closet. Didn't have much fabric to start with, I'm a September quilting newbie. Fast forward to date, I have an abundance of fabric in that thing, some in a laundry basket and some in a plastic container. Maybe a good idea to keep the bolts and wrap some fabric around it. I did that with my green fabrics.

I use the clear storage bins stacked in the closet as well. So far, so good - no problems or issues. Mine are sorted by color and occasion (Christmas, animal, sports, etc).

I know alot of people like to organize by color and I keep mine folded and refold when I get a piece out to look at it. SO many ideas so little time!

I went to Ikea and bought some of their cutesy storage boxes. I used the DVD sized ones for stacks of fat quarters and it's also a good size for my regular sewing patterns. Then they had some cardboard containers that are like office boxes, but shorter and longer. I have some in those too. I'm still at a loss with what to do with the larger sections of fabric I have. They're still on the bolt for now though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieM
    Why are we not supposed to use storage bins?
    JulieM
    Plastic and cotton don't get along; don't ask me why. I store my fat quarters in metal file cabinets under my big table. Then my larger pieces of fabric are in my floor to ceiling closets with bi-fold doors kept closed. I use the ruler fold method so there aren't any sharp creases to deal with, and do refold from time to time. I do have some pieces in plastic bins but they are mostly jelly rolls and charm squares that get used up more frequently. If I got rid of some of the "excess" I wouldn't have to store in plastic bins. :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

I have an unused dresser that mine are in - hadn't thought about refolding though. Thanks for the tip

What is the down side if you store in plastic bins? What type of harm does it do to fabric? I currently have about 15 plastic bins for my excess fabric that won't fit in the closets. Guess I'm off to the store for more white foam board.

I store my stash on shelves but hadn't thought to refold them. My quilts, I lay flat on an unused bed and it seems to work for me.

dude

i saw somewhere yesterday to use plastic boards to put big peices of fabric on store on shelf like in fabric shop i wonder if cardboard would work as well i have a lady that saves me the cardboard that her bolts come on. smaller peices could go in plastic bins.

I am like most who have answered on this--I use plastic storage bins for much of my fabric. I am not convinced that the theory of not using plastic is a fact, as opposed to what somebody just wondered about. Seems ideas can sometimes become facts rather easily and without any factual data behind "the fact". I wonder if this idea might have arisen when plastic containers were new and at that point the "old way" seemed better???? Also I think I remember the early plastics having a lot more chemical smell to them than the ones we get now do, which might have lent credence to the do not use plastic idea?
    Maybe one of you is a chemist and can give us a really definitive answer.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why wood chips? What does plastic do to fabrics?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast