Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use glue ? >

How to use glue ?

How to use glue ?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Default How to use glue ?

I am working on a project that includes gluing twine/rope to fabric, but the fabric must remain flexible even with the twine/rope attached. I do plan on hand sewing the 1/4" twine to the fabric once the glue has dried, but I need to know what kind of glue to use that will not show, will not leave a residue, and will hold if the fabric is folded. Liquid Stitch, Elmer's glue, thinned Elmer's? Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Do you mean that you will not be washing the piece to get the glue out? I haven't used Liquid Stitch, but I do know that Elmer's will show, will leave a residue, and can become stiff. Most of the time when we use glue, the purpose is to hold something temporarily, and the glue is later washed out. Once the item has been thoroughly washed, Elmer's disappears and is no longer holding anything together.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Are you making a clothesline basket? There are some great examples as well as tutorials on QB. If you are using it for something else, I have used Elmer's washable CLEAR school glue for sewing through and it is not as noticeable as the white. You could also try fabric glue like Liquid Stitch.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
I am working on a project that includes gluing twine/rope to fabric, but the fabric must remain flexible even with the twine/rope attached. I do plan on hand sewing the 1/4" twine to the fabric once the glue has dried, but I need to know what kind of glue to use that will not show, will not leave a residue, and will hold if the fabric is folded. Liquid Stitch, Elmer's glue, thinned Elmer's? Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
If you're going to sew it do you really need to glue it? You could use a couching foot on your machine and just stitch it on that way. For something that big I would loosen the top tension and use a stabilizer on the back.

If you are sure you want to glue it I'd go to the glue section in either JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby and read all the labels until I found one that fit the requirements.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM

I made a cowboy theme pillow and used Aleene's Jewel-it or OK to wash it to hold the rope down. Not sure which I used, but they have the same purpose in mind. They don't wash out. I did tack it to the back of the fabric, also, just in case. Sorry, I didn't take a picture.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM

Scissor Queen, since I am unsure of the glue process, I thought I'd sew a few stitches here & there to guarantee the twine/rope will stay in place. I don't have a couching foot for my machine and don't have quick access to a JoAnn's or a Hobby Lobby.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the product names. Yes, I am doing a cowboy-themed project(throw) which may or may not be washed. I guess I'll just have to try some glues on a practice piece & see how they work out. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Last edited by dsch; 09-08-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
Scissor Queen, since I am unsure of the glue process, I thought I'd sew a few stitches here & there to guarantee the twine/rope will stay in place. I don't have a couching foot for my machine and don't have quick access to a JoAnn's or a Hobby Lobby.
I don't have a couching foot for my machine either. I've done quite a bit of couching with the regular embroidery foot but never on anything that heavy.

I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere too so every time I go somewhere there's one or the other I make a list and the glue aisle is always high on the list. I try to keep a good selection of glues on hand since I never know what I might need and Wal-Mart doesn't have much of a selection.