Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this? >

How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:58 PM

Default How would you quilt this?

I made this quilt for my nephew who retired from the police force, it was an easy and fast ouilt to make but now the hard part is the quilting. I have no idea how to quilt it. Would you just do stitch in the ditch, I really don't like how that looks. But I really can't figure out what else to quilt. Any ideas would be such a great help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails img_2920.jpg   img_2921.jpg  
Old 08-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Stars or really SITD with a echo around the stars, sometimes with something so bold simplicity is the best to allow the subject matter to shine. Wonderful quilt!
Old 08-27-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Stars or really SITD with a echo around the stars, sometimes with something so bold simplicity is the best to allow the subject matter to shine. Wonderful quilt!
What color thread would you use? the back is the blue I showed in the one picture, Would you just do stars all over in white or gray thread? That's about all I have unless I use serger thread. I am not real good with FMQ I do have a Sweet Sixteen to quilt with. I try but lots of mistakes.haha Thanks for the advice
Old 08-27-2020, 02:47 PM

I copied your picture and opened it in paint ... now my drawing skills leave a LOT to be desired, but I figured it would make it easier for me to explain!

FMQ in each stripe I would do either a star or figure 8 or whatever you want ... in the same colour - so white on white, blue on blue ... or you could just do the white and skip the blue

For the borders - I've done this and it turns out really nicely - 1/2 inch straight lines all the way across each border overlapping at the corners ... gives it a really nice touch. Again, I would use the same colour as the fabric.

You don't want to take away from your quilt - which is gorgeous - so your quilting should be very simple.

Attached Thumbnails flag.jpg  
Old 08-27-2020, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I don't like the looks of STD either. I would run my walking foot along the seam line usually about 1/4" away from seam. Makes a nice look. I would not quilt anything else in the stripes. For the star area I would make a straight line across and down between the stars. This is what I would do if it were mine. I would not want to put a lot of quilting anywhere else. For the border I would space line every 1" or so down the length.
It is beautiful. We have a Grandson who is a Deputy Sheriff. He would love this.

Your quilt your way, of course.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Wonderful quilt. I would do a star meander (using the traditional 5 point star or just simple asterisk type stars). if only using one color, maybe a light or medium blue that may show up equally across all of it. or I may do simple wavy, random lines in a horizontal fashion.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:15 AM

I would quilt the stripes with straight rows in same color, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:28 AM

I think it's a great quilt, no suggestions on how to quilt it, but thank your nephew for his time as a police officer.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:18 AM

I would do a very gentle wavy pattern, repeated every 2" or so from the left edge to the right edge, running from top to bottom.

I have attached a very rough sketch. Your lines would be smoother and in white and maybe closer together. You could do this with a walking foot. or free motion. Just be sure to mark your straight lines well so you stay straight .

Watson
Attached Thumbnails img_2920.jpg  

Last edited by Watson; 08-28-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:27 AM

This is one that I would really try my hand at ruler work. Blocking off each section and doing a pattern almost like you are creating a new block pattern on the quilt. Your quilt is very pretty btw. SITD wouild be somewhat boring on this pretty quilt.