Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HOW WOULD YOU QUILT THIS

Hi to all,
    I've had this in the ufo closet for 3 years, My problem is I have no idea what kind of a quilting pattern I want to do. I want to hand quilt it. The back of the quilt is solid burgundy.
    So ....... What pattern would you use, what color thread. and only one stipulation, I do not want to do any quilting in the ditch.
    Thanks for any and all ideas

Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh what a breathtaking quilt :!: I have only done straight line quilting and this screams for something more.........I know I would want to match the thread, to each fabric :-o :-o :-o :D :D :D :D :D :D

Karen - that is a very striking quilt. Great job. No idea how to quilt it, although it seems to be calling "hand quilt"

I see you have a new avatar. Is that the Silverlinings paper piecing that was in Quiltmaker a few months back? I've wanted to try it but is a bit tooooo complicated for me even though I love pp.

I would go for something either round or spiralled. The diamond edges could be done in an undulating vine. Print your picture out and doodle - sometimes that is the safest way to choose.

Have no idea how to quilt this but just wanted to say BEAUTIFUL QUILT!!

Blog Entries
    I would quilt with burgundy thread and I would use a very traditional pattern in the large white squares like a feather wreath. I would quilt straight lines on the diagonal (both directions) across the wide point of the burgundy pattern ( I hope you know where I am talking about)..then if you think it needs more on any part of the burgundy pieces..you can quilt 1/4" from the edge.

Beautiful quilt! The colors look very clean together and I really like the block pattern!

Annmarie

Yes the picture in my avatar is the pattern from quiltmaker a few months ago, I used suede for his nose, and in the purple I used a polyester suede like for a different tecture. Its took an entire weekend to make him.
    Karen

Moonpi, I like the idea of the vines, and print it out and doodle, I think my brain is stuck though

Karen

Loretta,

I got the pattern from a magazine, Cant remember which one, but I'm sure its kicking around here or possibly at the beach. If I find it I will let you know

Karen

Sandpat, I really like the feathered wreath idea. After looking at it I'm thinking feather heart in the white part, it looks like it would fit well.

Karen

What about ornate hearts that meet end to end in each white section? I'd match the threads to the fabric.

Try drawing a pattern on Glad press and seal and lay on top of the quilt to see if it works before you mark it.

Blog Entries
    Think curves. everything is linear. take time and look through quilting design books or design something yourself. Good Luck.
    I did free hand quilting and curved quilting before When I designed the
    the curved quilting design I used an air dry pen.
    ceegee

I would find a nice curvy stencil and do some hand quilting with burgundy thread in the white sections.

Cheers
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    It sdounds great but look at your design first and make sure you like it before you start sewing. I just had a thought, (amazing) try to trace about 4 blocks square on tracing paper and pencil in your design with the same color. and then see if you like it.

I often find this a problem myself!! I like to use 2 in wide paper tape and make a large X from corner to corner of the quilt. Quilt all sides of this and move the tape 2 in either side of the first lines until all quiting is done!

Karen (Love2Quilt) Where did you find the Suede? I have several quilting projects that call for suede and haven't been able to find it. Tried felt, but it just doesn't work. Cecelia

I got really lucky. A leather tanner in town was closing and was selling hudge bags full of leather and suede scraps for 1.00 a bag. The bags were as big if not bigger then green garbage bags. I actually pieced patched a leather coat, and still have half a bag full.
    Karen

That is one really beautiful top!!!

Dear Karen, Thank you for such a quick reply. Lucky you with such a find. I only need small amounts and was hoping for a Quilt Shop that sold suede for embellishment. Years ago "Sewing with Nancy" did sell several colors of suede in a package. I"m going to try her catalog answering number in the a.m. Thanks again. (If you get two answers - I tried earlier, but lost it somehow. I'm not much good on this computer. That was a beautiful quilt. Cecelia

Dear Karen.......Thanks for such a prompt reply. I only need very small amount. I was hopping to find a Quilt store that was selling suede in amounts like 12" pieces for embellishment. Years ago, Sewing with Nancy did sell such things. I think it was 6"squares. Thank you, but I'm afraid I'd better just keep looking. Cecelia

Beautiful quilt top and I have no sugestions on how to quilt it.

The cushion in your avatar is beautiful. It looks like applique or paint. I had no idea it was paper pieced.

Very carefully, HA! No really, I suppose it depends on how heavy or light you want to quilt it. I could see some nice stipple work if done by machine, but by hand youd spend a heck of a lot of time at it. Id definitely think working white on white and red on red with the thread.

Beautifull quilt....Good luck

I agree with Steve on the thread colors.