Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to you get good pictures of your quilts? >

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

how to you get good pictures of your quilts?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 AM

Outside is always best. I get the DH to hold them for me so I have to edit out the quilts with legs!!!!

As for showing quilting detail close ups with a macro lens work quite well.

Becks
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 AM

If it is a nice day for taking pics (no wind, cloudy rather than sunny - sun washes out the colour), I'll hang the quilt on the clothesline. Otherwise, DH will hold it up for me. That's why some of my quilts have feet in the pics. ;)
Old 05-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I still have an old-fashioned clothesline, so I use that.

BUT!!!! when I look out the window and see that there is no wind, hence good for taking a pic of the quilt, by the time I get outside with quilt and camera, the wind has picked up!! Never fails!!
clotheslines are no longer considered OLD fashioned, but NEW urbanite standard for those going GREEN and trying to conserve and leave a lesser carbon footprint! I had to fight DH to get mine made 3 years ago...only cost $75 to have the neighbor get the pipe and weld together for me...

as for the WIND...OY..this is OK....there is never a day without wind....so for indoor shots I had DH make a quilt holder that is in my kitchen it's only purpose is for photography...of course now that I own 2 photographers stands I suppose that rack could leave, but I like it there!

it is painted white, but it is there!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198594[/ATTACH]

see, here it is holding a quilt for a pix
[ATTACH=CONFIG]198595[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-198588.jpe   attachment-198589.jpe  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 AM

I don't - some of my pictures are lousy. I am very envious of the lovely pics that everyone else manages to post.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 AM

Another vote for clotheslines!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Give the quilt to your husband who loves photography. He created a quilt holder with 2 long extension stands using our granddaughter's old pole vaulting pole- drilled holes to fit the stands used shop clips to hold the top and goes to work. Then he edits them on Elements 9 and gives them to me to share.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 AM

I lay mine on my bed, which I have a window by my bed so I have light, if dark turn on the light. The best thing to do is stand on a stool or chair to get higher than bed to take the picture.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 AM

I put them on the bed, but lots of times I put them on the floor, for you to be able to get a better shot, turn on the light and if possible stand on a footstool or ladder and look down on the quilt as you snapped the picture. This works for me as I am not that tall.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 AM

This is the best website I've found geared towards photography for quilters, not photographers. http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/index.htm
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM

A place to display the quilt without obstacles, a digital camera with zoom, and a good flash. I see a lot of posts where people say the colors are really brighter than shown. Using a flash and getting too close to the quilt will make everything too light. Back away, zoom in, and take the picture. A quilt laying on the floor is OK when we know that; we understand that distortion. I don't like "photoshopped" pictures, except maybe to crop the picture. My camera is not professional grade, but it is a few steps above a cell phone.

But by all means, use what you have. We love pictures - ALL pictures!

FREE Quilting Newsletter