Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ Sweet Sixteen arriving next week - freight questions >

HQ Sweet Sixteen arriving next week - freight questions

HQ Sweet Sixteen arriving next week - freight questions

Old 05-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Default HQ Sweet Sixteen arriving next week - freight questions

I'm so excited - my Sweet Sixteen sitdown machine and hide away table will be arriving on Thursday. Since I live some distance from a dealer they'll be shipping it directly to my home by UPS Freight.

For those of you who have had this same situation, how did you handle the delivery? UPS Freight tells me they do not provide inside delivery and the driver may or may not take it off the truck for me. It's going to arrive on a pallet and weighs 277 lbs.

I'm going to ask the dealer for suggestions on how to deal with this (she did not inform me before I ordered) but does anyone have any experience with this type of delivery?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:27 PM

I imagine it will be in several boxes on the pallet, the heaviest will probably be the table. So just handle them one at a time. The dealer should be able to tell you how heavy each box will be.

I am seriously considering this setup myself, so I will be watching for updates!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Actually they put the machine in the table before shipping, so that one box is very heavy. There's another very small box which is no problem.

I'm excited to get it and everyone tells me I'll love it. Have you tried one yet? It's such a pleasure to use!

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:51 PM

borrow a furniture dolly if you can. UPS are usually pretty helpful getting large items off the truck. If the box looks dented at all, they will tell you how to submit a claim. Take pictures before he leaves or removes the item off the truck.

HQ packs their stuff really well. It will probably be on a wooden pallet.

Last edited by DebraK; 05-30-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

If the driver doesn't take it off the truck, how can it be considered delivered? And if you have to take it off the truck, doesn't that open UPS up to liability if you hurt yourself while on THEIR truck? This makes no sense to me.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm not very impressed with a delivery service that won't unload the items for you!

I had an HQ Sweet 16 delivered by UPS, but it wasn't with the Hideaway table. The man brought all the packages to the front door, but said he could not step inside.

Congratulations on your new machine!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 PM

We ship all of our machines UPS freight. If one of our customers does not have a dock, they have to specify they need a truck with a tail lift.

UPS Freight *should* contact you to arrange for delivery. At that time you need to tell them you need a truck with a tail lift because you don't have a dock. You might have to pay extra for the lift.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 PM

Wow...interesting...let us know how this works out....this will remind me to be careful about what I buy that needs to be delivered by ups........
Old 05-31-2014, 05:04 AM

I would think the UPS will have a truck with a lift gate, specially if it is a freight delivery. They are the ones that have to unload for liability reasons, you'll have to get it inside.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
Actually they put the machine in the table before shipping, so that one box is very heavy. There's another very small box which is no problem.

I'm excited to get it and everyone tells me I'll love it. Have you tried one yet? It's such a pleasure to use!

Thanks!
No, I have not tried one yet, but a sit down setup is my only option due to space limitations. And I am already comfortable with moving the fabric under the needle, just need more room than any of my machines provide.