Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting >

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Husbands...boyfrineds and such regarding quilting

Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM

I am probably my own worst enemy when it comes to buying things I want. I always talk myself out of what I want. I try to make sure I'll use it enough to justify the price and I usually don't get it. Having said that, I do have two Viking sewing machines (both bought used) a 936 Serger and a very nice room all my own to do whatever in. DH comes in and offers advice about what I'm doing but he has never said you can't do whatever. When I was working I was a little more liberal but now that I have no money coming in I try to watch it more. But I have a good time anyway.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
I remember once a male Marine telling me negative stuff and I in my still small voice stated "I'm more man than you'll ever be and more women than you could ever possibly handle". Of course all the male Marines laughed at what I told him and basically said "looks like she grew her a pair and took yours and ground them up".
Oh my, this sounds exactly like my sis-in-law! My brother & his wife are both retired Marines, and she is a tiny little thing that was nearly outweighed by her duffle & rifle. But man, oh man, do *NOT* cross that girl! She will put you down!

I adore my husband, because he fully supports what I do. In fact, if it weren't for his encouragement, I wouldn't have my short-arm & frame set up.

He gives me inspirations for quilts (more than I have time to make), he goes shopping with me (the only kind of browsing he seems to enjoy, somehow), he has a *fantastic* eye for color & design. In fact, when I do take him to the quilt shop, I usually end up spending 2 or 3 times as much as I had originally intended!

Plus, he's a *fabulous* cook. I guess I'm one of the lucky ladies. :) And no, I don't share ;-)
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM

I totally agree and we should all stand together and say NEVER Again. It's time those num nuts stopped their non sense and grew up.
Originally Posted by betlinsmom
Ladies, Sisters we have to stand together on this and support ourselves and each other. Domestic abuse is much more prevelant in our society than any one would believe. Take a stand, please.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 AM

. (combined my posts)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM

That is my view of life together. I got the best husband in the world. I can get anything I want(within reason) as long as we can afford it. We are a partnership, nobody rules.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM

My hubby has now got into collecting (are you ready for this) vintage sewing machines. How lucky am I? We have been married almost 39 yrs. and he has his toys(old cars and trucks) and I have mine. I don't check with him when I buy except when it is big money item. He's a keeper for sure.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 PM

I have a wonderful husband. His favorite saying is..."whatever makes you happy". Ha ha :lol: :thumbup:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Thank goodness for progress.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 AM

Hubby also learned some 20 years or so ago really quick by having a bad attitude the feel of my cast iron skillet across his head. That's another story for another time.

So many of us have allowed men to verbally and mentally abuse us let alone physically do so that enough is enough. Mine use to verbally abuse me for years until the day I used that cast iron skillet on across his head.
Verbal and mental abuse are (of course) wrong, but how is physically hurting someone okay? Your post said he had a "bad attitude". I'm sure that was very frustrating, but it doesn't sound like a situation of self defense (i.e. a gun being pointed at you).

Short of being in desperate fear for my life, I can't imagine hitting someone in the head with anything, much less something as heavy as an iron skillet. It doesn't take much of an impact for brain damage to occur ... or worse.

I'm not trying to be a "party pooper" here, but still ... :shock: :?

FWIW, I do agree with everything else you said, and I'm fortunate to have a husband who fully supports and encourages everything I do (and vice versa). :)
Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 AM

Moonrise, I do see your point and you obviously dont know the permanent damage that years of verbal abuse (from someone with a bad attitude) can cause. For example you can start out in life with a dad who vrbally abuses you and grow up to marry a man who verbally abuses you til you 1) think this is normal and 2) you do deserve it. However when you see your grandchildren follow the same pattern and you know it is because yu did not stop the cycle the devastation can be almost insurmountable. Now, having said all of that,L et me say that I am a small, soft spoken, soft as a marshmallow grandmother who is no threat to anyone unless you think you are going to run over me or mine . It just has to stop!! And the sooner the better!!