Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I am intimidated.... not sure if I will follow through.

You will do fine. Just realx, read, re-read, and read again if not sure. Take it one step at a time. you will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    I love the Bow tuck totes. But I will confess the bow tuck has intimidated I have cut out the pieces but that is as far as I have gotten. It took 2 weeks before I cut it out. I first made a pattern.I am a visional person, so I first made a pattern to cut my fabric with. I know that is silly but it made me feel as if I was following someone pattern. Now that I am over that obstacle I am facing sew it. I think I will take one step at a time.I am working up my nerve. If I watch someone or have pictures I can whip it right up. this is out of my comfort zone. Am I the only one who is like this?
    Funny how quickly we discover our preferred learning styles when we start a hobby as an adult. That is how I finally pinned down mine anyway.

I was intimatdated as well....for a while....once I tried one though, I was hooked! I think I've made 4 or 5 of them now and have plans for more! They really go together nicely, and you'll have fun once you get started! Go ahead....take the plunge! :)

Blog Entries
    lab fairy, when you stated "the seam ripper is still your friend"you are so right. What I sewn last night I am taking take it out today. :( but that is a lesson learned). :roll:

Blog Entries
    Treat the pattern like a recipe. You will be fine.

For those who are having trouble with the bow tucks pattern....

1. If you can do without the outside pocket, skip step 1 and 7 completely. Or do it between steps 6 and 7. Step 1 has confused a lot of us. You can cut the front pocket pieces from scraps and see how it works before trying it with your "real" fabric. Once you figure it out, it's simple.

2. If step two is confusing because you are using a fabric that has to go a certain direction... don't make your first bow tucks using directional prints. Use polka dots or floral.

3. More about step 2 - instead of having a top and bottom piece, you can cut two big pieces from one fabric the same size as the lining pieces.

4. Step 3 - Quilt as desired - keep it simple - straight lines going across or up and down every couple inches is fine. You can also do criss-cross diagonally if you mark it with markers that can be removed.

I'm so sorry that you are reverse engineering. I've done it a lot on quilt blocks.

I find that when I'm really feeling insecure about sewing something I baste first to make sure I have the right idea. I can always sew over basting stitches.

Blog Entries
    I am at step 4. I had to get out my jack the ripper. lol I am happy with it now. :wink:

You all have mentioned the 'Bow Tuck Bag' a few times. Is there a pattern on-line with instructions? L enjoy making bags as they at least get finished. Need that warm fuzzy once in a while of finishing a project!

If I have to cut out pattern pieces, then just hang it up! I have some type of mental block. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I am moving along I am at step 7. Hoo woo I going to church now everyone have a bless day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead
    You all have mentioned the 'Bow Tuck Bag' a few times. Is there a pattern on-line with instructions? L enjoy making bags as they at least get finished. Need that warm fuzzy once in a while of finishing a project!
    No there isn't a pattern on line. :-( However you can order one on ebay for 9.00 free with shipping.

ok ok just to let you know I purchased the patteren and it took me 2 weeks you have to read and read the thing is I over read well ok when I got my mind together it was done in no time and beatiful felt silly after that some times when it;s simple we make it harder guilty

Darling looking bag. I would love to buy a used pattern if someone has one to sell. Kim

I've done the same thing. I read through all the instructions and think it is just too complicated for me. When I stop and read it one step at a time, I find I can do each step. So just slow down and start at Step 1, then get on here quickly if you have a problem and one of these terrific women ... and men ... will be able to help.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Here is a visual tute on it, don't be afraid of it they are so much fun to make!!

http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/
    Thank you so very much up north, for that site. that will be a big help when I make one, as a very sweet member sent me the pattern. God bless. Penny

Gather your courage and sew. The first one will be your learning bag. It is a fun bag to make. Remember you do not have to do it just like the directions do it in way it is comfortable for you after all it your bag.

ignorant me, what is a bowtuck?

My nieces, daughter, and I had a mini retreat the past 4 days and we made the bow tuck purses. I admit the pattern needs more pictures, it would make it easier! But read the instructions several times and it is really easy if you do it one step at a time. The end result is worth it. Once you get the fusing and the quilting done it goes together fast. One thing we changed was just measuring the 2 1/2" square with a ruler and marking the corners with a pencil on each of the body and lining pieces and folding them to make the corners. We didn't feel making the template was necessary.
    Have fun with it, it's not a big deal. :)

Blog Entries
    Do what the designers do, make the pattern out of cheap muslin first. All the mistakes will be learned on that. I usually sew a new purse or small project in muslin first. It really saves time in the long run.

I've made several totes including a bow tuck. As someone mentioned earlier, I think the bottom of the bag should be stitched closed after you turn the bag right side out. Also, the pattern tells you to make the pocket but it doesn't tell you how to attach it. I made a copy of the pattern and as I did each step I highlighted it. That way I don't get lost and I know right where I am if I've had to leave it for a while. Just jump in there and make it - it's only fabric.

I made the bow tups bag with a butterfly print and pink contrast and it was greatly admired. The lady at the dressing room of the store I frequent was so intrigued by it that she asked me to make her one! I don't have a picture, because I gave it to her! It's not that hard once you get it cut out.

Oops, didn't proofread. It's tucks, of course

Blog Entries
    I have been asked to make one for a friend and she will pay me. Here I go again. wish me good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2