Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am looking for a new iron >

I am looking for a new iron

I am looking for a new iron

Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 AM

Default I am looking for a new iron

Need a new iron mine just died. Thinking about the Oliso Smart Iron Pink, does anyone have this and can you give me pros and cons and if you had to do it all over would you purchase the same iron? Want the pink one cause its the prettiest. LOL

Anyone who has any of them please answer.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2017, 06:13 AM

I need a new iron, too. A lot of the advice I've seen is buy the cheapest $10 iron you can and use it until it stops ironing the way you want it to. Then buy another. I wanted to get a dry iron but none heat up hot enough for cotton fabric that I've found. I read in one of the reviews that your iron needs to get to 1600 watts to press cotton well. The steam irons tend to leave dimples in my fabric where the holes in the iron are but my steam irons don't heat up properly anymore which may be why the dimples are forming when I press my fabric. Time for me to pitch the irons and start with a new one.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:29 AM

This is by far the most asked question on every forum that I belong to. One would think that the companies that make irons would ....., no they will not make a better product because people that sew rely on a good iron so they have to keep buying them. I have been through 2 expensive Rowentas, had a digital, had cheap ones, mid-priced ones and none of them last very long. They start to leak, spit and sputter, stop steaming, etc. I have also used all types of water to no avail. I currently have the gold Oliso Pro, just got it last week. I sure hope it is a good iron and lasts awhile, if not I will be jumping in with the throngs that buy cheap irons and throw them away after they decide to develop problems. Good luck, I feel everyones pain, lol.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:42 AM

A few months ago, I bought a Shark Ultimate Professional Iron (G1505) from amazon.com (less than $40). I visited the local stores and then researched online. I chose this one because: (1) it has 1800 watts, which means it gets hot and produces great steam; (2) it has a large water tank that is easy to fill; (3) it has a multi-position auto shut-off. The last feature was the main selling point for me, because I don't want my iron to shut off after 5 or 7 minutes. This one shuts off when the iron has been idle for 15 minutes--that gives me time to press a seam and then stitch the next one(s) without having to restart the iron. So far, I am very pleased with it.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
A few months ago, I bought a Shark Ultimate Professional Iron (G1505) from amazon.com (less than $40). I visited the local stores and then researched online. I chose this one because: (1) it has 1800 watts, which means it gets hot and produces great steam; (2) it has a large water tank that is easy to fill; (3) it has a multi-position auto shut-off. The last feature was the main selling point for me, because I don't want my iron to shut off after 5 or 7 minutes. This one shuts off when the iron has been idle for 15 minutes--that gives me time to press a seam and then stitch the next one(s) without having to restart the iron. So far, I am very pleased with it.
just boughtsame luv it
Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
I will give this one a try then! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:42 AM

I got an Oliso to replace my long loved rowenta. It leaked doesn't get as hot as my rowenta and cost twice as much. Within a couple months I got a rowenta off QVC and I adore my new rowenta. My oliso is in a box collecting dust. I haven't tried reliable yet to compare but kinda scared to waste money if I don't like it as much as my rowenta
Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Banned

Still using my 15 year old Black & Decker. Don't need an expensive one when this one does the job well. I have more money for fabric.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I think the black and decker used to be inexpensive. But the last one I bought cost me sixty dollars. When it gave up the ghost, I bought a rowenta off QVC and Love it.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:38 PM

I actually had an Oreck and I loved it. It coild be corded or cordless. lightweight and did a real good job, but it just died on me