Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am a scrappy quilter....

I am a scrappy quilter....

and for the second time, I spent time looking through all 148 pages (I think there were only 135 pages the first time I read it) of the scrappy quilt thread started by grammy Dwynn.
    If you haven't been there, or don't like scrappy quilts, I urge you to take a few minutes and look at the first 4 or 5 pages. You will be hooked!!! I was wishing for a basement bathroom around page 100, but couldn't tear myself away! My bedtime is usually 10pm, but I turned my computer off at midnight.

Anyway...the quilts are so inspiring! I especially liked (I loved them all!) the one on page 3 by thimblebug6000 (post#23). The block is the Sunny Lanes Block from www.quilterscache.com. Sooooo, this morning, despite having bazillion minus one UFOs, I dug out all my 2-inch squares and started making the scrappy four-patches for the block.

She has a few quilts pictured...it is the one with the interrupted white diamonds in it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html

I forgot to say...I added some pictures of a few of my scrappies, too! They're on page 148.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emlee51; 07-07-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you use your 2" squares as "leaders and enders" ala Bonnie Hunter of "Quiltville", you can get those 4 patches done while working on another quilt. Just keep them next to your machine and do a pair every time you end a row! It's amazing how many you can get done.
    Sue

I would use the 2" squares for another quilt. I don't nee leaders or enders and don't use them. I have a straight stitch only machine, don't know if that makes a difference or not. I love scrappies also.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Emlee, I'm so glad I saw this post. Just a few moments earlier, I had counted out one hundred 2" assorted squares (classified as light colors) and was going to offer them in the free section. But I'll just send them to you because it is what you're using right now. I will send you a pm.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

The Scrappy Quilt show thread is my all time favorite. I too go back and stroll through all the photos. So much inspiration .

Blog Entries
    i love that thread and scrappy quilts also. emlee i saw the quilts you posted and i like the quilt you referred to. looking forward to your progress postings.

me, i think i am stuck with all things postage stamp size. i am working on two psq's now but have 2 more in my mind.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    Emlee, I'm so glad I saw this post. Just a few moments earlier, I had counted out one hundred 2" assorted squares (classified as light colors) and was going to offer them in the free section. But I'll just send them to you because it is what you're using right now. I will send you a pm.
    Thanks, JenniePenny, that's very nice of you! Answered your pm...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    If you use your 2" squares as "leaders and enders" ala Bonnie Hunter of "Quiltville", you can get those 4 patches done while working on another quilt. Just keep them next to your machine and do a pair every time you end a row! It's amazing how many you can get done.
    Sue, I usually do leaders and enders, but doing it with 9-patches, and these are 4-patches. Sometimes just the monotony of doing the chain piecing is relaxing for me. I love BH's site, and practice her scrap control. I'll still do the 9Ps while doing the 4Ps!!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I have been coming here a long time and hadn't seen this thread - thanks for sharing! I love scrappy!!!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Ditto what pumpkinpatchquilter said! So glad you posted this! Past my bedtime - still looking at scrappies!
    Dawn

Blog Entries
    Amazing the quilts that the fabulous members make! Thanks for sharing this link....I have somehow missed it. I bookmarked it and will be spending time browsing. May even share a photo or two.

Have a blast with your project! I am working on a Dresden Plate Scrappy quilt right now.
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    The Scrappy Quilt show thread is my all time favorite. I too go back and stroll through all the photos. So much inspiration .
    Ditto that!!!! I have a tablet of graph paper nearby and when I see something I really want to try, I sketch it out! A great idea. One day, I'll add a couple pics of my own.

I have to say that this post really motivated me! I have been building a stash for the express purpose of doing some scrappy quilts. Yet I worry about colors not matching, what pattern, etc. I spent some time today on the Quiltville site. Also, the suggestions to use 2 inch squares as leaders/enders - never thought of that! Seems much less overwhelming to piece blocks here and there in the middle of other projects.

I have storage bins on my grocery list, so that I can start saving those scraps (divided by size). Also, in working on another project tonight, which involved sewing 3 inch squares on the corners of a 6 inch square - I saved all of the triangles I cut off (actually I retrieved them from the trash, sewed 2 of them together, and was very happy to see a slightly larger than 2 inch block of half square triangles!)

Previously, I felt guilt for not keeping various scraps of fabric, but I could see myself getting overwhelmed with scraps everywhere that I have no idea what to do with! But after reading again about Bonnie Hunter's system for scraps (and I am sure there are many different systems out there) - I was inspired that this too I could do. Plus the point made that all of these scraps - that is $$$ being thrown away; instead, why not have a beautiful quilt?!

Still a bit worried that I can put something together where the colors are pleasing to the eye (I will probably be a bit more of a controlled scrappy quilter at first) - but already excited about a couple of patterns off of the Quiltville site, so will be looking to turn my scraps into 2-1/2 inch strips (if possible). This will also be a little easier on my budget.
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by emlee51 View Post
    Anyway...the quilts are so inspiring! I especially liked (I loved them all!) the one on page 3 by thimblebug6000 (post#23). The block is the Sunny Lanes Block from www.quilterscache.com.
    I know exactly what you mean. I like the sunny lanes block as well. I've made it three times, using up 2" squares. I made it with blue, red, and yellow. You can see them here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t180360.html

justflyingin - love your quilts! All of these quilts are so very pretty. Another pattern to try out...
    Dawn

There are some beauties on this thread!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I too love scrappy quilts. Very glad you reminded me of this post with all the scrappy quilts!

Me too! they are my favorite!

I love scrappy quilts too! I especially like the more "crazy" or "wonky" styles - they help me see the beauty in randomness. (I tend to try to make everything very uniform, straight, perfect, regular, patterned....I have a tough time doing "wonky".) They're always my favorites at quilt shows - so much to look at! Love, love, love 'em...but haven't made one myself yet!

Right now I'm saving up scraps from all the quilts I'm making this year. I'm slicing them down to strips 6.5" long and in random widths - when I'm done with all the quilts I have planned out for the year (I'm making almost a dozen quilts, for Christmas presents) I plan on making myself one last "year end" quilt with all the scraps from all these quilts. It'll be a bizarre mix of colors and patterns but I think I'll get a kick out of it and it'll be a nice reminder of a whole year of work!

I couldn't quite bring myself to use wonky cuts though...I'll get there some day!! LOL

I am working on piecing a 3" block scrapy quilt now. No two pieces alike (I hope). I just cut out a square as I used the fabrics and have been collecting for quite a while. 783 different fabrics. Does that give you any idea of the size of my stash?

OH MY! My scraps are NOT cut, but I love scrappy quilts that I often spend hours trying to decide which pattern and which fabrics will work. I nearly always have to buy some to put it together.lol
    pat design

I also went through the scrappy quilt show again. Like you I went through it when it was much shorter. I took me a few days this time. lol. I didn't have time to just sit and read through it all at one time. I need to start doing leaders and enders also. maybe I'll be able to make a quilt out of them one of these days.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I like the sunny lanes block as well. I've made it three times, using up 2" squares. I made it with blue, red, and yellow. You can see them here.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...w-t180360.html
    OMG! justflyingin...I LOVE all three of your quilts! Now I know I'm just going to have to pull all my blue 2" squares to make a blue and white one! Thanks for sharing those pictures.

I must say I have a nice pile of 2" HSTs from the scrap triangles...trimming them as I go so I can quickly put them together for another quilt when I finish this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
    I am working on piecing a 3" block scrapy quilt now. No two pieces alike (I hope). I just cut out a square as I used the fabrics and have been collecting for quite a while. 783 different fabrics. Does that give you any idea of the size of my stash?
    I know what you're saying, kyquiltlover1942, I had been saving 2" squares for a charm quilt...800+ squares...decided to use them up in the Sunny Lanes quilt so I had more of a variety. When I start cutting for new quilts I'll start all over again for the charm quilt. Let's see a picture of your quilt when you finish...

I am working on a D9P with Hearts. I love it!!
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast