Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I am starting a quilting club!!!! (at my church)

Hi, Can I ask where in Monroeville you are located? I would be very interested in joining or is it for church members only. Thanks

Good morning! I live in Corvallis OR and belong to a church quilt group. We meet the first and fourth Tuesday morning and make comfort quilts which we donate to our local charity. Our group is small so far with 6 members, but we have such a good time and are quite productive! The quilts are blessed during Sunday sermon before they are given away. I love your pillowcase idea and would be grateful for your pattern. I think that would be a wonderful addition to what we do. God bless you and happy quilting!!

The best way to find out about shows in your area is to check out the websites of all the quilt guilds in your area. The more established / bigger guilds will have a show either every year or every other year. Some of them have an auction in conjunction with the show and some of them alternate every other year with an auction.

Also, check with the LQSs in your area and if they have an online newsletter, sign up for it. Many of them will have flyers and may also sell tickets.

If you've never gone to a quilt auction before, I recommend you go. I've gone to a couple guild auctions, and a couple church group auctions. The best one was the auction at the Mennonite church which was raising money for their missions. Quilters from Mennonite and Amish communities all over the country had sent quilts to be included. They had all the quilts hung so that we could get up close and personal with them and the work was gorgeous.

If you're interested in attending one of the big shows (Houston, Chicago, Paducah), some of the LQSs will sponsor a bus trip, which will include your hotel, some of your meals and tickets to the show. My sister travelled from Missouri to Houston a couple years ago and her total cost was just a little more than an airplane ticket (then she would have had to pay for meals, hotels and tickets to the show).

The pillow case instructions are on Allpeoplequilt.com

YOUTUBE has a Great tutorial on pillowcases from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. Use either of those links in the search engine and you will find it. That sausage style pillow case is the best out there! A great quality case and soo easy too! **You will find that link in our tutorial section...

I started a church quilt group about 8 years ago. Since then we have had quilters come and go. We meet every Wednesday from 6:00pm - 8:30pm. The original group did a 1/2 hour Bible study first and then worked on a six block sampler. Each of the six blocks had a different technique, applique, paper piecing, half square triangles, etc. We have grown to about 15 quilters and each year we do a Get It Done Weekend and a Mystery Weekend. During the year we often do a challenge. This year we did a Block Barter where 12 of us each put in a focus fabric in a box and passed it to the next person. That person used her focus fabric and added addition fat quarters to make her square and left over fabric stayed in the box. I saw the first finished quilt this week and it was great>

There is a website, www.graceandpeacequilts.com, from another church that has some simple and fast patterns. They may also have some ideas for you to get started. We also have a quilt group at church and we seem to never have a shortage of needs.

It sounds like a plan to me. So much fun to get together and share. One of the best things to encourage newbies is also a way to raise money for outreach, etc. is to have a UFO challenge. Everyone brings a completed UFO, not necessarily quilt related, to show and tell. If you don't bring one, .50 in the kitty. This really inspired me to start finishing things, even very small projects, and raised money for paper, postage, all kinds of expenses.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    I recently joined a quilt group at our library We meet the 2nd and fourth Tuesdays of the month We all bring something to work on and any questions we might have we spend most of our meeting helping each out with problems much the sameway this board helps out We are just feeling our way along but it sure has been loads of fun
    I go wkly in an afternoon to an experienced quilter's house, several ladies join the meeting and bring what they are doing, many are experienced but there are those of us who are novices and get lots advice on what is best/how to piece/which way to quilt/bind etc. it is great fun and lovely seeing what others are doing ; have been to various sewing .quilting type meetings but felt very inferior when confronted with so many talented almost bragging members.
    I feel it is v important to keep it informal and am grateful that I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
    There is a website, www.graceandpeacequilts.com
    I tried to find this website, and all I got was a list of links. There was a message at the bottom of the page stating the site might be for sale(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    There is a website, www.graceandpeacequilts.com
    I tried to find this website, and all I got was a list of links. There was a message at the bottom of the page stating the site might be for sale(?).
    You are so right! I found the right sight in a Google search:
    http://www.gracenpeaceministries.org/
    Sorry for the confusion. Hope no one else is misguided.

There is a website, www.graceandpeacequilts.com, from another church that has some simple and fast patterns. They may also have some ideas for you to get started. We also have a quilt group at church and we seem to never have a shortage of needs.
    This website should be:

http://www.gracenpeaceministries.org/

Great news! You may want to get together for more than one hour if you can have the space for that time. The guild I belong to meets in a local church all day on thursdays, we are set up as a non for profit business. I believe you need to be set up as a business or other organiztion to qualify for the Jo-Annns discount cards. Invite members to bring their machines to the gathering and sew and socialize together! You will find that you can learn from each other. Also bring snacks, nothing breaks the ice like food.

Blog Entries
    Our quilting ministry at church meets 1st and 3rd Wed. every month from 12-4. We have such fun and learn so much from each other. We all bring some snack or dish and eat and sew. We give our quilts to shut-ins or those with a serious illness.

I belong to a church quilt ministry. At the outset, our leader decided that anything made during our meetings would be charity quilts going to charities around the city. She teaches classes free to anyone who wants to learn. We meet the first and third Sunday from 2:00-5:00. We bring our sewing machines and piece and quilt using donated fabric....the church members were asked to donate any fabric and we sorted through it putting aside quilting materials and donating the rest to a storefront ministry that handles used craft items. The church gives a yearly stipend to help defray the cost of batting and backing. This small group has grown to about 25 members and is the most successful ministry in the church. We give quilts to a pediatric wing of the hospital, a young mother's help group....whomever needs them. It's a wonderful ministry and I don't even belong to the church. Good luck with your group.

What a blessing for you. God will, of course, guide you in all you do. It sounds as if you have gotten a lot of good advice and many good suggestions. You are going to love this experience. Rewards will come from unexpected places. I have already prayed for your success.

Blog Entries
    In the church I attend a lady makes a lap size quilt. Nothing fancy just a back, batting and top of any kind of print. Then she binds it and knots it..... but does not tie the knots. Then if someone is very sick, accident or in the hospital or maybe homebound or in a nursing home. They pass it around and each person there ties it with two knots and says a prayer for the person that receives the quilt. Everyone that gets one really appreciates it and knows someone has been and will be praying for them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Gosh, what part of PA are you in? I would love to join :-)
    I would love for you to join Nursie but I am in the eastern part of the State right outside of Pittsburgh
    When did Pittsburgh move east? I live on the Delaware River. Now That's East!!!

Where is Monroeville? If it's close to me I'd be interested!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting

Ooops now you know why my husband hates it when I give directions lol

I ment west

I am not familiar with how to explain monroeville in relation to Pittsburgh but I know it is east of the city lol
    Just google map it. I have only lived here for a few years and I dont drive so it is hard for me to give directions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting

Ooops now you know why my husband hates it when I give directions lol

I ment west

I am not familiar with how to explain monroeville in relation to Pittsburgh but I know it is east of the city lol
    Just google map it. I have only lived here for a few years and I dont drive so it is hard for me to give directions
    So sorry I'm over 600 miles from you, Pa is a very big state. Good luck with all you do. Remember that when a bunch of quilters get togehter it's hard to get them apart. Your evening is just getting started at the one hour mark!

I belonged to a quilting group several years ago. This group taught me much of what I know today about quilting, We met twice a month. We didn't have any officers or agendas -- just sat around a table, worked on our individual projects (getting help when we needed it)and talked about everything under the sun. After awhile we all became friends, attending quilt shows together and driving to good but distant quilt shops. We all learned from each other and it was a great experience.

so, AbbyQuilts, it has been nearly a month since you started this thread. Have you met with your group? How did it go? Details? I'll bet you had a great time. and found a lot of quilters there!!!

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Nope have not gotten a quilt group together just yet.
    we had some things come up so I was thinking of having an informal meeting this month to get things started and start regular meeting next month.

I am going to put a sign up sheet on the bulletin board for those wanting to join to sign up. That way I have an idea of who is interested

Blog Entries
    why don't you set up a display of quilts to show them what they can learn to make!

Nope have not gotten a quilt group together just yet.
    we had some things come up so I was thinking of having an informal meeting this month to get things started and start regular meeting next month.

I am going to put a sign up sheet on the bulletin board for those wanting to join to sign up. That way I have an idea of who is interested

Thanks for the update. I'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3