Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Thread: I am in trouble now

  1. #1
    Junior Member swimmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    233
    Took my sewing machine in for repair - it stopped working last night. They were able to fix it while I waited. That was where the trouble has begun - I looked at another machine - now I really seem to think that I need it - not just want it - but need it. So who has a Janome Memory Craft 6600? What do you think of it?

  2. #2
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    LOL, those new machines sure are tempting!!!! I don't have a Janome, but I'm sure there are several that do!

  3. #3
    Senior Member diannemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    926
    Oh I just love sewing machines!!!

  4. #4
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,926
    Blog Entries
    1
    I know what you mean. I tried out the Janome 6600 at the state fair in August and was immediately sold. Brought the brochure home, looked at it, looked at my Bernina, and knew I couldn't justify $1600 for another machine. I loved the thread cutting feature, but the truth is I can take a few seconds to cut thread the old way. My sister pointed out that it doesn't have a free arm, but of course my Bernina could always handle those kinds of tasks for me. :? Thought of all the fabric I could buy with the money, and finally just let it go. Maybe someday.......

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    Posts
    966
    Didn't you know when you walk into any place that sells machines or fabric you are suppose to wear horse blinders and look at the ground. If you don't and you are able to look around you do get into trouble. If you check the quilter rule book horse blinders are listed under choclate next to the sewing machine at all times. :mrgreen:

  6. #6
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,258
    Blog Entries
    1
    I went to the dealer to get a new bobbin casing and a tune up. Before I could stop myself the words: Why don't yoy show me what you have?" were out of my mouth. I got an excellent deal on a Pfaff closeout model.

    If you need it, you need it. I so (sew) get that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry don't know about the 6600 but my friends swear by their Janomes.

  7. #7
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    I own a Janome 6600 and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, except a Bernina with a stitch regulator. That has nothing to do with the Janome and everything to do with my wanting that blasted stitch regulator though! :lol: I love my machine and it has been very reliable for me. It comes with a built in walking foot that is just amazing!!!!! The initial investment made me want to cry but it hasn't cost me a thing in upkeep and has never let me down in the two years I've owned it. I would definitely recommend it. :!:

    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I know what you mean. I tried out the Janome 6600 at the state fair in August and was immediately sold. Brought the brochure home, looked at it, looked at my Bernina, and knew I couldn't justify $1600 for another machine. I loved the thread cutting feature, but the truth is I can take a few seconds to cut thread the old way. My sister pointed out that it doesn't have a free arm, but of course my Bernina could always handle those kinds of tasks for me. :? Thought of all the fabric I could buy with the money, and finally just let it go. Maybe someday.......
    Okay, I have to admit that the thread cutter is the one feature I thought I would like but I don't. I don't know too many of my friends who do like this feature. It tends to leave the bobbin thread too short, which means it ends up dropping back down and you have to go through the trouble of getting it back up where it should be.

  8. #8
    Junior Member swimmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    233
    Tiffany - thanks that is what I wanted to hear. MadQuilter - you know where I am at.

  9. #9
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    I have a 6600. I like it but, there is no pattern reset button so when you are sewing and get to a place where you want to pattern to start again the only way to do it is to go off of that stinch and back on. If you haven't made any adjustments to the stitch length or width you are ok. If so then you have a whole nuther problem. I like the thread cutter and I never have had to get the bobbin thread back to the top of the machine. When you begin to sew it just appears, however it usually does end up in a wad on the back of the fabric. That bugs me a bit.

  10. #10
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Instead of cutting the thread, I use a small piece of fabric (folded in half to match my piecing) and run it in after I'm done piecing. I leave this in and when I'm ready to sew next, I just run my pieces through, finishing with another little fabric "tail" after I'm done. After awhile the little fabric pieces (I use muslin or scraps) look like some bizarre spider and I just throw them away. It's amazing how much thread I save & it keeps the tension just perfect, so I usually don't have a problem with the little thread bird's nests that can appear on the back when using the thread cutter. Maybe this will work for you, though it sounds like you are doing more embroidery type work than straight piecing. You are braver than I am. I haven't ventured into that part of my machine quite yet. :oops:

  11. #11
    Senior Member QuiltMania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    826
    The Janome Memory Craft 6600 is on my Christmas list. We'll see if Santa brings it to me. Don't think he will because of the price (and if he did, I would have to have a serious budget discussion with Santa) but I can dream.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16
    I also have the 6600 and I love it! I have had no problems with it whatsoever!

  13. #13
    Super Member Mamagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    I have the 6500 but wish I had waited for the 6600. The on/off switch is a beauty! Not sure if I would like the accu-feed system, but my sister who has the 6600 loves it.


  14. #14
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    It is one of the machines on my wish list. I may get one someday. Hope you get yours.

  15. #15
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach
    Didn't you know when you walk into any place that sells machines or fabric you are suppose to wear horse blinders and look at the ground. If you don't and you are able to look around you do get into trouble. If you check the quilter rule book horse blinders are listed under choclate next to the sewing machine at all times. :mrgreen:
    I guess I'll need my horse blinders tomorrow :roll:. I have a hairdresser appointment which just happens to be in a town that has a quilt shop which also happens to be right next door to a sewing machine dealer who happens to sell Janome's :shock: and if memory serves me correctly....they also have some long arm machines right there in the shop . :!:

  16. #16
    Junior Member swimmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    233
    But if we were not open to new things - how boring our lives would be.

  17. #17
    Super Member b.zang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,940
    Blog Entries
    1
    HA - I did exactly the same thing :D :D .
    Now I have an older, basic Janome and a newer 6600 Janome. I LOVE it!!

    To really round out this family, I went back into the same shop last month and -----eeeeek----- there was a pile of Jem Gold Plus machines on sale. Ya, my family is now one machine bigger.
    I really don't mind people who are loyal to their Husqvarnas, or Elnas, because I'm loyal to my Janome. All of them are easy to use and real workhorses as well.
    I've used the decorative stitches, the heavy-duty stitches and the quilting and pieces stitches, all with no problem.

    Bauy it, you'll liake it. :twisted:

  18. #18
    Junior Member swimmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    233
    B.zang - so you have not had an issue with the tension? I have been reading too many reviews.

  19. #19
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Yikes. I couldn't go in there. I'd want it all.

  20. #20
    Super Member ScrapQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,113
    I have a janome 9000 and love it......... would buy a janome again.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach
    Didn't you know when you walk into any place that sells machines or fabric you are suppose to wear horse blinders and look at the ground. If you don't and you are able to look around you do get into trouble. If you check the quilter rule book horse blinders are listed under choclate next to the sewing machine at all times. :mrgreen:
    I guess I'll need my horse blinders tomorrow :roll:. I have a hairdresser appointment which just happens to be in a town that has a quilt shop which also happens to be right next door to a sewing machine dealer who happens to sell Janome's :shock: and if memory serves me correctly....they also have some long arm machines right there in the shop . :!:
    Hate to say this but your screwed!!!!! LOL

  22. #22
    Senior Member dojo36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmom
    Took my sewing machine in for repair - it stopped working last night. They were able to fix it while I waited. That was where the trouble has begun - I looked at another machine - now I really seem to think that I need it - not just want it - but need it. So who has a Janome Memory Craft 6600? What do you think of it?
    i have the janome 6600 and i'm definitely in love with it. it can do just about anything u would ever want a sewing machine to do. i say:
    BUY IT , YOU WON'T BE SORRY!

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Pa.
    Posts
    1,615
    I have the Janome's 3500, 9000. amd 10001. Never a problem with any of them. I love my Janome's. Two of my friends have the 6600 and said how wonderful they are. Everyone in our group has Janome's of various levels and no one ever seems to have a problem wtih any of them. Marge

  24. #24
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    I LOVE my older Janome MC9000.

  25. #25
    Senior Member LoriJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    706
    I've had my 6600 since last September (08) and haven't had a lick of trouble. I probably use it between 15 and 20 hours per week. I love this machine!! I've pieced, quilted, free motion, hemmed jeans, put patches on a leather vest and lots of other stuff and it didn't blink in the least. The decorative stiches are fun and easy to do. I haven't yet tried the twin needle, but that is next on my "to try" list. I would recommend this machine to anyone. The dealer I bought it from gave me three years free maintenance and I finally took it into the shop in September just cause I figured it needed a good cleaning after a full year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.