Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought a long arm >

I bought a long arm

I bought a long arm

Old 07-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Congratulations! Enjoy! Great news for you.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 AM

I have an Avante and I love it! I didn't realize the Fusion frame could not be reduced, but I don't think you'll regret the Avante purchase. I don't find the size limiting, except perhaps for very large items (12" on point type of blocks). But even for that, you just adjust your quilting to fit the space you have. Enjoy!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations. You will love it! Like you, I really had a hard time moving the quilt under the needle. Additionally with a sit down you still have to baste the quilt and basting was my number one most dreaded, hated task in quiltmaking. Frame quilting completely eliminates that step and to me moving the machine head is a much more natural movement than moving the quilt sandwich.

But I warn you about the frame size. I have a 10 ft frame for my Innova and I do find the size limiting. A 10' frame does not give you 120" of loading space. First of all that 10' measurement is from outside edge to outside edge so you need to deduct the inches that the supporting structure of the frame takes up. On my frame that is approximately 8". So immediately my 120" is now down to 112". You also need to have room at the sides to attach side clamps, test tension and get at your bobbin to change it, at a minimum that would be 7". Also you have to remember that your backing always needs to be larger than your top by at least 4" to 5" (I prefer more) I have found I really have a hard time with any top over 100" wide and prefer to not quilt anything wider than that. So my 10' frame is perfect for anything queen size or smaller, 98" wide or less. You may find that 8' will not be wide enough if you do a lot of queen size quilts. Just letting you know.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM

I am so jealous. You will enjoy every minute with your machine. I think I would like to move the carriage and not the fabric, and would enjoy the machine you bought. Have fun learning to use the machine--I used to rent time on a Gammall at a local quilt shop, but she closed. I would have enjoyed the rental more if I didn't have to plan so ahead to rent the machine--using a gammall was like driving a cadillac--wonderful.
Sue
Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM

Congrats! So looking forward to the day when I can say the same!

Watson
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM

Count me on the list of people who are envious of your purchase! Do be sure to post your work - I'll enjoy your quilting adventure vicariously.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by patsan View Post
I was planning on buying and sort of had my heart set on the HQ Fusion, but I wouldn't be able to fit the 12' frame into my house anywhere. The frame that comes with it cannot be broken down to a smaller size. So it was either nothing or go with the Avante. I will make the frame 8' in size. It's the only way I'd be able to get a true long arm.
A few months ago I had purchased a Sweet Sixteen from my daughter's LQS and quilted 2 throw size quilts (besides practicing). While it was night and day difference from my regular Brother machine, I had too much trouble moving the fabric. I really wanted a long arm and the software to make all the beautiful quilting designs.
It should be delivered next Wednesday. I'm very excited. Now I will still need to swap rooms in my house and move a bunch of furniture around.
Oh, wow... congratulations on your longarm! I came into this thread to say I'm envious, and then I read the bit highlighted above, and now I'm extra jealous. I really need a family member to open an LQS, especially if they're willing to do it somewhere close to me. I think you're a very lucky lady!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Congratulations. You will love it! Like you, I really had a hard time moving the quilt under the needle. Additionally with a sit down you still have to baste the quilt and basting was my number one most dreaded, hated task in quiltmaking. Frame quilting completely eliminates that step and to me moving the machine head is a much more natural movement than moving the quilt sandwich.

But I warn you about the frame size. I have a 10 ft frame for my Innova and I do find the size limiting. A 10' frame does not give you 120" of loading space. First of all that 10' measurement is from outside edge to outside edge so you need to deduct the inches that the supporting structure of the frame takes up. On my frame that is approximately 8". So immediately my 120" is now down to 112". You also need to have room at the sides to attach side clamps, test tension and get at your bobbin to change it, at a minimum that would be 7". Also you have to remember that your backing always needs to be larger than your top by at least 4" to 5" (I prefer more) I have found I really have a hard time with any top over 100" wide and prefer to not quilt anything wider than that. So my 10' frame is perfect for anything queen size or smaller, 98" wide or less. You may find that 8' will not be wide enough if you do a lot of queen size quilts. Just letting you know.
Thank you for all this information. It puts things into a better perspective for me and sure will help.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Oh, wow... congratulations on your longarm! I came into this thread to say I'm envious, and then I read the bit highlighted above, and now I'm extra jealous. I really need a family member to open an LQS, especially if they're willing to do it somewhere close to me. I think you're a very lucky lady!
I'm so sorry.....I guess I wrote it wrong. My daughter doesn't own a shop....it's just a LQS in her town. Boy it would have been awesome if she owned one!