Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I broke the curse of King Tut! >

I broke the curse of King Tut!

I broke the curse of King Tut!

Old 10-06-2021, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up I broke the curse of King Tut!

About a year ago I posted that I was struggling to FMQ with King Tut thread. My Bernina just did not like it, and it kept skipping stitches. Today I tried again with the same results. Soooo, I tried an experiment. I used Mettler as the top thread but kept King Tut in the bobbin, and got perfect results! No problem. At all. I absolutely do not understand this. The Mettler is a 60 weight thread and polyester. The King Tut is a 40 weight thread and cotton. Why the two different weights and fibers work so well together baffles me. What I'd like to try next is the King Tut as top thread and either Mettler or Bottom Line in the bobbin, as the King Tut colors are beautiful and I really would like them to show on the quilt top.

And I made another discovery. In the past, when I FMQ I have started each pass with the quilt in my lap and pushed it through the machine, working from top to bottom. Today I worked bottom to top, thus pulling it as I quilted. It was much easier that way and moved under the needle better.

All in all, it was a very good quilting day!
Old 10-06-2021, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your success!
Old 10-06-2021, 05:04 PM

So glad you found what works for you!

I seem to have better FMQ results with polyester thread. I think it's because it has a little stretch, where cotton doesn't.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Glad that you found a way to make things work for you!

Aside from telling us the problems you had, you didn't mention what else you have tried to solve your problem. Just some ideas here, in case you haven't thought of these ......... When you switched from King Tut to the Mettler thread, did you switch the needle? King Tut is a coarser thread, thus needs a needle with a larger eye. Plus when doing FMQing you need a different type of needle than when doing regular stitching, such as when you are piecing. Also, tension may need to be adjusted.

Good Luck!!
May your good day of quilting, return for you again, and again and .....
Old 10-07-2021, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I am glad you found the thread combo that works. I think machines are designed for the fabric to go from top to bottom and even with feed dogs down maybe that is why that part worked well. I wonder if you tried the king tut in the top and worked from top down you would get good results? Because you have two new situations going on and would have to try each separately to be sure. Let us know.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:57 AM

Whoo-hoo! What ever works, keep at it and show us your finish. I am sure it must feel good to be back at finishing your very large project.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:56 AM

What Bernina do you have? I think Bernina uses Mettler to set all the factory settings on the Bernina. I forgot what weight and fiber....all machine manufacturer's pick a standard thread to for their machines. The King Tut is a way thicker thread so I would think you would need to do some top thread tension adjustments also to use the King Tut. And I agree with the suggestion to change the needle for the King Tut and try a larger eye.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 AM

Great to hear! Sometimes it takes playing with things to get the results you want.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Bernina dealer told me all machines are factory set using poly thread because poly has very little if any lint to remove after setting. I always notice what brand or type of thread are on the machines at the vendor booths and in store. Most is poly thread. When test sewing on a machine at store I always bring a spool of cotton thread I use to piece. The new high end machines are too fussy.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:40 AM

Congratulations on finding the right combo for your FMQ. I am making a quilt for my daughter and after 7 rows I have finally figured out the right presser foot, thread, and matching circles. I will now go back and correct the first rows I made since I finally figured out what worked. I know you feel such a sense of relief when King Tut finally worked for you. I know I was relieved when I finally sewed a row of circles that all lined up.