Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't believe the price was $9.00

WoW Peggi. That is one beautiful quilt. I love the embroidery along the border. Some of the iron-on papers were in the box with the blocks. Maybe I can adapt them to put some birds in the border like yours.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Oh, I'm feeling green with envy! Lucky you!!

My Mother did one like that in the 40's. She never finished it and I have no idea where it went. Sure wish I had it. They are beautiful. Lucky find. On her's she had the top finished but not quilted.

My mother, who passed away October 2009, had made the top of the quilt like this before and after she got married in 1952---my precious boyfriend had it quilted for me last year for Christmas---it is super large---when I cleaned out the attic I found the iron on transfers--when the quilted was quilted she had an appraiser come in---with there only being 48 states on the quilt you could date it---she said with the age and only 48 states it was probably worth alot of money---wouldn't part with it for anything--

Since I have found another quilt Mama started in early years of marriage--Double Wedding Ring--I am now working on that myself--

What a lucky find. Just think, all you have to do is put them together in some fashion and ...voila..you have a done quilt top.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I remember seeing one of those years ago too --- it was GORGEOUS when it was quilted! You are very lucky!

I found a quilt top with the 50 states and their flowers. I am going to quilt it for a wall hanging when I get around to it! Lucky you!!!
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    I just saw one in a quilt show I went to. Here's a close up picture of the embroidery. Sorry I didn't take a full picture of the entire quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That was all the rage when I was a teenager. I did "my" state bird quilt with embroidery paint.

Blog Entries
    I have the pattern and also the flowers on but never did anything with them but the quilts that I did see with them all had sashing

Oh, what fun! Love to find treasures like that. :thumbup:

great find!

Someone bought it, who appreciates the work. It's really a treasure.

my mom did one of these it had 48 blocks she put them together on point with narrow sashing my sis still has it

Banned
    Blog Entries
    why simply sash?? why not turn each into an Ohio star and then sash to make them larger and really eye catching??

I just bought a box of embroidery patterns, still in their envelopes..ALL of them are Laura Wheeler originals. There are 3 or 4 of the original state bird designs...each is different and 2 only have 48 states! There are also 3 of the state flower designs....I must get pix of those tonight!

There is directions for one on Martha Stewart.

sorry I've never done the state birds. I did the state flowers though. From start to finish..about 25+ years...but I have the quilt to prove it!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    Wish you had a picture of it. I'd like some ideas about how I'm going to put these into a quilt.
    I've seen some of these set on point with alternate solid blocks. I always thought someone could come up with a better idea.

Looking back I see that jaciqltznok has (a better idea.)

I did one of those for my oldest son. Did the state flowers for my dd. Do not have pictures. sorry

It looks like there is green in each of the blocks, maybe find a nice green that will go with the blocks and sash with that. I do think it needs sashing so it will set the blocks apart. Nice find, congratulations.

What a wonderful find! Would love to do one for my son's office. He has bird feeders hanging outside his double windows. He loves birds - we call him "The Bird Brain" - :)

Blog Entries
    Wow, such an awesome find. I would have bought it too!

I think you hit the auction jackpot. They are just beautiful. Have fun with it. :D

I bought all 50 and paid $4.44 each... They are a treasure to me. You are VERY lucky. They were a mail order embroidery from what I can understand. You ironed them on and embroidered them. The original pattern came with mine. I'll post a pic.
    I am working on finding the PERFECT fabrics to finish this quilt and it will be my winter hand quilting project.

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    Wish you had a picture of it. I'd like some ideas about how I'm going to put these into a quilt.
    I'm going to use sashing out of a civil war green and cornerstones out of a pinkish/wine civil war type and an outer border that has a floral. I'll post about it at some point...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast