Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't press my bindin..don't tell the QP >

I don't press my bindin..don't tell the QP

I don't press my bindin..don't tell the QP

Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 AM

Default I don't press my bindin..don't tell the QP

Well I do press the connecting seams flat but don't fold in half and press. Read the idea someplace on the web and the reasoning is: Depending on the thickness of the batting will determine where the half way point is. It may be off 1/8 of an inch.

Oh and I don't sew it on the front. I know. I'm really going to jail. I sew it on the back. This way I get an even binding when I do the final stitch on the front.

I just hope my quilting friends will come to my rescue when I go to trial. I'll make sure DH keeps you informed.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 AM

I actually took a binding class at the LQS. The instructor didn't press her binding, just folded it in half as she went along, and taught us to sew to the back first and bring it over to the front. She didn't use a single pin or clip or anything at all.

I later decided I prefer to have mine pressed, but I definitely sew it to the back first. I'm getting better about having an even line on the back of my quilt when I sew down the front. But, uh, that's the back of the quilt. Who cares what the line looks like?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

It is easier to fudge the binding to get a consistent width if you don't press the binding before sewing it on. I don't press my bias double fold binding for doing a scalloped edge because it is easier to manipulate it in and out of the curves unpressed. I do usually press it for my regular quilts because I use double fold binding and the pressing keeps the 2 edges together better for sewing on the quilt.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I don't press my bias double fold binding for doing a scalloped edge because it is easier to manipulate it in and out of the curves unpressed.
Will file that away for consideration on the off chance I ever do a scalloped edge. Thanks.

I'm usually in the press-glue-sew (to the front first) group.

I just think there are so many variations that a quilter can/should try in order to find the method that gets the best results.
It never hurts having/knowing multiple methods in the toolbox for use depending on the situation.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Light bulb moment!! Makes so much sense I'm gonna try it after pressing for YEARS!
Perhaps I can be called to testify in your behalf, Julie, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 PM

I don't press mine either. It is much more forgiving if not pressed, plus all that time I save not pressing.