Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I dropped my quilts off at the count fair >

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

I dropped my quilts off at the count fair

Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I wish our county fair was better about the quilt judging. Everyone gets a blue ribbon. If the quilt is bad it gets red ribbon. If it's bad and dirty it gets a white. The judges are the same they have always been for the last 30 years. They still think machine quilting is cheating.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 AM

I've entered for a number of years--photography, needlepoint, cross stitch and now quilts. I won a number of ribbons, not so much for quilting. But I love showing off my quilts even if they're not so great and I don't win a ribbon.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Good luck, hope you win. I have several ribbons and cherish each one.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 AM

Best of luck!

I usually enter in the wall hanging category. It's fun to see your work hanging there.

Watson
Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM

I enter and enjoy doing it. I enter in the regular quilting category and also in the "Golden" category for those 65 and over. Things are not always displayed perfectly (one time one of my quilts was displayed with the back side showing only), but they clean the display cases before putting in the exhibits, and they keep them locked.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:57 AM

I'm going to try it this year (next month) for the 1st time. A little nervous about security, but I have never heard of any problems from the past. I have always loved looking at the quilts shown there each year.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I wish our county fair was better about the quilt judging. Everyone gets a blue ribbon. If the quilt is bad it gets red ribbon. If it's bad and dirty it gets a white. The judges are the same they have always been for the last 30 years. They still think machine quilting is cheating.
Wow. Seriously??? That is awful!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM

I entered a quilt two years ago at the Ohio State Fair. Actually, it was a practice quilt. I was practicing my pebbles on the longarm. DH talked me into entering it, lol. And it won 3rd prize! Heck yeah, I'll take the $15 (covered my entry fee!) and the batting I won!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Our county fair gives everybody who enters anything a free pass to attend the fair, so it's sort of like you "won" a $10 prize just by entering. The entry fee is just $2 per quilt; I'm not sure what it is for other items. The cash prizes are all very small, I think the largest prize for quilts is a $50 prize given by a quilting group, not from the fair itself. But it's not really something you do for the money!

I'm curious - when you enter something like jam into the fair, do they taste it? Or are they judging just purely on how it looks in the jar? I've always wondered...
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

I'm curious - when you enter something like jam into the fair, do they taste it? Or are they judging just purely on how it looks in the jar? I've always wondered...
At our fair the jar is opened and tasted and then they put the lid back on and display it for the week on a shelf in the building so no refrigeration. They do tell you that up front that this happens. So needless to say what you entered will have to be thrown away. So I never entered anything more than a pint size jar due to the waste.