Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had a AH HA moment today and I wanted to share it >

I had a AH HA moment today and I wanted to share it

I had a AH HA moment today and I wanted to share it

Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM

I need to mention something first.. it's a bit awkward. Because of my disability, I cannot do many things that I would love to. So going to guild, getting together with friends, joining a class.. none of this happens for me. So basically while I have been blessed with many friends, my actual quilting friends are one, 15 minutes from my house, one 20 minutes from my house, but she is so involved in many things we don't get to see each other often and my very best friend is in Tum Tum, Wa. and we have met ONCE in the 15 year friendship.. So when I have something fun to share, until you allowed to enjoy the company of this group, my two Bichons got all the neat news. So my Ah Ha moment. I am working on two baby quilts for the same little girl. The first one has a total of 64 4 1/2" blocks, one thing border, and the main border and I plan on running a long stem flower up the side. I have my felt wall but it has a quilt piece on it and I was trying to figure out I could lay this out and yet the blocks around. And I remember something I saw at Wal-Marts. It's like a talking board. It measures 48" wide and 36" high. the center part is, if my math is right 32" and there are two panels of 8" ea that fold over it. So when extended it's 48" x 36". I can use plain striagth points to place my blocks and then move them around until I like the color placement. And I can then leave it and live with for a day or so before I set sewing the pieceing together. I have a small layout that shows how to place the blocks. At that point once I get it sewned, I can then put it back on the board and pick out several of the various fabrics that I want for borders. I like to wait before I cute the borders so A. there's never a size problem due to my error and B. I can cut a strip, pin and see how it looks. So today, on the way home my regular hospital run, Les started at Wal-Mart and got the dark one for me and I love it. I just thought it was a great idea to share with someone that doesn't have a whole lot of room to work with and you can fold the panels over and lay it down flat and your blocks are still there. The quilt is all Lakehouse fabrics and you can't get much more femine then that. I am making her a regular happy and bright color normal baby quilt, but I just want her to a larger quilt to grow up with her. One I get the layout on the board, by the time I add on the two borders, I think it will be fine. Hope it's a thought that someone can use. Blessings..
Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Love the concept but ... what is a talking board ? where did you find it at WalMart ? Would love to check it out :lol:
Thanks for sharing
Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 PM

I found it in the aisle that has the shipping stuff and the flat boxes. They have several aisle's with business stuff, papers, notebooks, etc. They come in either white or black. I got the black. A talking board is something you can place facts, pictures, etc. on when you are trying to sort through vaious pieces or inforamtion . You change what's on ot, add various thoughts, word or deals.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

I will have to look next time I am there... THANKS for the info :thumbup:
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM

I have one of these and I covered it with flannel on both sides, made like a pillowcase and sliped it over the board and pinned it. Works fantastic. They are also used for doing demonstrations at meetings. A great find for a portable design wall.
Lorraine
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the info and I'll have to check out my Wal-Mart's for it!!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I will have to look next time I am there... THANKS for the info :thumbup:
I will look too. thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM

oooh, I don't have a Walmart here in Great Britain, but it does sound like a great idea. I think I'll look through all the stationery stores on-line in case I can find one on there.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 PM

I'm sure G.B. has office supply stores. They will have them for sure. And if you something similar to Wal-Mart you can check
there. I would offer to buy one for you and send it but it would extremely awkward to mail. But check with the office supplies stores in your area.

The one that I purchased was approx. $18.00 us dollars of course. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:46 PM

thanks.