Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

One of my LQS owners has the nasty habit of saying the same thing and on occasion worse. Needless to say I have different opinion.

SITD is not a cop out what quilt police are you talking to. quilt however you like. SITD can be quite lovely if done well
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Cop out????? I do't think so!!!!!!

If you listen to a lot of people who have quilted for many years they will agree that stitching in the ditch is not all that easy. There is no wiggle room in it. Seams crossing can make it even more difficult. I say listen to others suggestions and throw out what you don't want and learn some new ideas. They're your quilts do what you want.

This is TOO FUNNY! I did two quilts last summer. One I SITD and one I FMQ--(am just learning). THE SITD took probably twice as long but looked great. Here are the two. I think that people who say such stupid things just don't have a clue how long it takes to SITD and actually how hard it is. It is much harder than it looks at first glance!

Name:  sunny lanes in blue.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  225.5 KB

and

Name:  Sunny lanes in Red.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  241.0 KB

In this case, same pattern, different fabrics and different quilting= different looks.

And my oldest son and his future wife just chose the blue one (SITD) one over about 10 other quilts as one they want to have in their home.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I love the STID quilt too. It really makes the pattern stand out! Beautiful! And a great comparison on how quilting changes the appearance of a quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I don't quilt in the ditch because I find it far too difficult to keep in the ditch. I undo more than I sew. I prefer to do shadow a edge of walking foot away from the ditch. Lazy but quicker and less unpicking for me. I quilt all me quilts by machine so do all my friends here is Marion's quilt done by machine
    This is a pattern from heirloom quilt by Pauline Incense. All was done on A bernina machine 440q. So machine quilting can be just as fantastic as Laq. This quilt for UK will be in the uttoxeter quilt show Marion is terrified and just pushing at present to make sure it goes in. Celebrating her 80 birthday tomorrow Wednesday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 04-15-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Rude ignorant person.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Wow! 57 comments, a fire storm with beaitiful quilts added! I had kept my post short. Several said things that I too had thought of. "Quilt by check" was catchy, a new one one to me. But, as said " quilt by long arm is good for the economy." I have a few shop owners that offers this on side of fabric. Yes, good for their buisness.

I think the instigator of conversation though she was being cute. But several piped up in agreement. So, nice responce would have been "but quilt by check is not?" That one will stay in my mind, keep me proud as most posts suggest and on I march with streight line quilting. Thank you all. PS: FMQ is tought ! I over quilted and had to be a wall hanging. Cute..but stiff. So, any way things get finished.

Thank you all for your funny, encouraging and beautiful quilt posts.

Ell
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

don't care who says what....I do what I like!!!

Even longarmers quilt in the ditch. Sometimes and in some places it is necessary. And I like my seams flat.

i love you guys you rock we all love quilting so much its awesome

However it is finished is a major accomplishment because you did all the piecing. The people wanting to criticize aren't offering to quilt it for free the correct way ( in their minds) are they??

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    So, the laziness, the "cop out" of doing your own quilting, but the "send out to long arm" is not.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

..will continue to stitch my own creations, using the most cost effective way possible to enjoy my quilting.

Yes, I consider myself a quilter.

Ell
    You go girl I'm with you........ then I must be the biggest cop out and I don't always stay in the ditch but once I take my dollar store glasses off it barely noticable that I didn't stay in the ditch....

There are people out there who are judgmental about everything. I am an avid reader and I also love audio books when I quilt, garden,etc. someone mentioned to me that listening to rather than reading a book is cheating. My reply to her was, "In a world where we are bombarded by the visual, listening is a lost art." She had to agree and I never heard a peep out of her again re: my book listening. Same goes for any other hobby. Why people have to throw out something negative is beyond me. Who should really care how a project gets done?

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Those nasty quilt police are at it again. Sure am glad they don't come to my house. Some of the quilts that I have sitd have been pretty neat looking on the back. Do what you like...you have to please YOU...it is your art. I also like my quilts to be used and enjoyed.

It seems everyone has their own opinion about quilts, including me. I do not think SID is a cop-out. Don't pay attention to the 'quilt police'. Do it however way you want !

Blog Entries
    How can it be a cop out when if you don't have your seams laying right it can be just as hard to quilt as FMQ. Sometimes it just looks better and then sometimes it is easier but it also holds the quilt together really well. There are those that say tying a quilt is a cop out too, when I tie a quilt I also SITD to give it extra strength. There are also those who say machine quilting is a cop out that you should hand quilt, I don't have enough time to do that. There are also those who say embroidering of quilts is a cop out, it is still alot of work to embroider. No matter what you do there are those who will say its not correct. I don't believe in any police who can't arrest me or send me to jail. So I'll do things my way since I'm the one buying the supplies and putting in the work, I'm doing things my way. Oh yeah, I also put my binding on by machine. I know, another cop out. What can I say, I'm a rebel.

By the way, in years from now and your loved ones are charishing your memories that you left them, do you think they are going to care how you got them done. They are just going to love the fact that you made them and they have them to carry on your love that you put in them.
    Last edited by romanojg; 04-16-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    So, the laziness, the "cop out" of doing your own quilting, but the "send out to long arm" is not.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

..will continue to stitch my own creations, using the most cost effective way possible to enjoy my quilting.

Yes, I consider myself a quilter.

Ell
    Times have changed, we don't all hand quilt. Those that do, good for them, that's wonderful. Those that don't, do what you do best, good for you too. Even Eleanor Burns (and we all know how beautiful her quilts are) sends hers to the longarmer. Do your thing, do it your way, and don't mind what others say.

Banned
    Some people are so judgmental. Their way of doing things is the only right way. You keep doing what you're doing!

wow, I can't believe someone would say this. I am appalled. Hold your chin up, the work you do is incredible as well as everybody else.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    All this person did was show how ignorant she is. She should learn the old adage :- If you have nothing positive to say - say nothing. Ignore her and her bad manners and do what makes you happy. Quilt your quilts how you please. ;-

I like STID and use it quite a bit. I like the geometric pattern, the clean lines.

Blog Entries
    Honestly! I do not understand people sometimes. I was told that a QAYG was not a 'real' quilt either. Go fly a kite!! I quilt in whatever manner I wish and complete whatever style of quilt I wish. They are my quilts- not theirs! And for their information, I do have a hand quilting project on the go at all times, as well as my machine quilting projects. Guess I am a more versatile quilter!! LOL.

There are some people out there that think they know everything about everything when in reality they know squat..SID is just another technique. Don't listen to the self-proclaimed know it all and do what's right for you...
    Kitty

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast