Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have found a great pencil for marking fabric >

I have found a great pencil for marking fabric

I have found a great pencil for marking fabric

Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Me personally? I'd have liked to be in that motorboat with David Beckham... LOL!

http://www.goldmedalmel.typepad.com/...dfasdfads.html

Ben Ainsleys boat for me !!! DottyD.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

The ceramic lead pencil is found in the fabric stores and quilt shops. It was made for fabric.
Brands are: Sewline; Fons and Porter' Bohin; Collins All are probably from the same factory.
The mehanical pencil with about 10 leads is around $15 but I believe worth the price as they mark and erase well.
There was a posting some weeks ago about the Fixon pens. As I recall, the quilter ironed the marks off, was taking it to someone and it was in a cold car and the lines came back. So don't have to put it in the freezer but a cold place. I believe someone said that if the quilt is washed you don't have the problem. On the other hand several have reported it bleaches out the fabric. It sounds like a magic marker but the side effects are not good. Then depends on how and where you use it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thank you Holice ... for all the info!
You've made me really think about the pink and yellow chalk rollers that I've been using. Maybe pretty isn't such a good idea!!

I'll check out the art supplies next time I'm near a store that might have them and see if I can have some luck!
The ceramic mechanical pencils ... would these be art supplies? drafting? or?
I avoid all colors but white and gray. I just figure it's silly to add dye to a quilt surface when you don't want it there permanently.

I use a Sewline ceramic pencil and love it, but Fons & Porter and Bohin make versions as well. They're all sold at quilt shops (and online of course) since they're made specifically for sewing uses. You can also just buy the leads ans use them in any .9mm mechanical pencil.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM

I went to watch the qualifying gymnastics (mens) at the arena it was fabulous.

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
http://www.goldmedalmel.typepad.com/...dfasdfads.html

Ben Ainsleys boat for me !!! DottyD.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for this information Holice

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I use three or four pencils
I have had good luck with the newer ceramic mechanical pencils. I use the white lead one on black batik and it brushes out very well.
Also.....the Multi-Pastel chalk pencils made by General Pencil Co. They can be found usually (if not in quilt shops) in the art pencil sections of most craft stores. I use the white and light gray and sometime the dark gray. I avoid any chalk pencil that has color in it, especially the yellow. My theory is that a colored pencil might have a lot of color pegment in it. I also use the black washable graphite from General. The name is Sketch-n-Wash. It has a thick lead but sharpens good and will also rub off and erase even on white and off white fabric.
Now having said this......there are other pencils on the market that indicate washable. Always test before using to make sure they perform as you want. There are other colors in the mechanical ceramic pencils but I have not used them due to their color. I also use the soft white erasers but be sure they don't have any petroleum in them. The A-1 from General does not have oil so doesn't smudge. I als use the pink pearl rubber eraser as it leaves a clean erase.
I also use the lint brush found usually in the pet department of the stores. It is a black oval plastic type material. This is working well as a brush and eraser.
With any chalk type pencil, I do recommend that as much of the surface chalk be wiped off before washing as chalk will cake. I used the dark gray Multi-Pastel on a light tan fabric and had to spray with spot remover to get it all off but it did come off. I also recommend sharpening often as it keeps the points sharp and less breakage in the lead.
The Multi-Pastel is chalk and clay. The clay gives stability to the chalk. Quilters have also said they occasionally put the chalk pencils in the freezer to re-hyderate the chalk and makes it easier to sharpen.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I avoid all colors but white and gray. I just figure it's silly to add dye to a quilt surface when you don't want it there permanently.

I use a Sewline ceramic pencil and love it, but Fons & Porter and Bohin make versions as well. They're all sold at quilt shops (and online of course) since they're made specifically for sewing uses. You can also just buy the leads ans use them in any .9mm mechanical pencil.
Thanks again, Holice for the further info.

Ghostie ... et Merci Beaucoup aussi!! I seem to recall another thread where you talked about these.

It seems that so few of our LQS' have many notions.
The general comment is that there's just too many tocarry.
uuummm OK!
I think my sewing machine store probably has the best selections of notions, so will check next time!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM

I use the ceramic mechanical pencils as well. I own the Fons & Porter pencil (bought at Joann's several years ago). The LQS where I now work sells Sewline. I buy my leads there, which fit the F&P pencil, and use the different colors in the same pencil. We also sell Sewline erasers and refills for them.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks again, Holice for the further info.

Ghostie ... et Merci Beaucoup aussi!! I seem to recall another thread where you talked about these.

It seems that so few of our LQS' have many notions.
The general comment is that there's just too many tocarry.
uuummm OK!
I think my sewing machine store probably has the best selections of notions, so will check next time!
De rien, QuiltE. I've had friends tell me they're hard to find up there. Might want to keep an eye on your mailbox...just in case, eh?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
De rien, QuiltE. I've had friends tell me they're hard to find up there. Might want to keep an eye on your mailbox...just in case, eh?
OMG ... our peut etre Mon Dieu! OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oui ... so much stuff does not get above the 49th!
I am always so scared of using something that will mark and stain ... I don't think you can ever test it enough to be foolproof!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Banned

I used the silver pencil severa years ago to mark a silk cape I made for an exhibit. It was silk pongee in light beige color. The silver was the only pencil I found that would mark and not leave smudges on the fabric. It glided over the fabric and was dark enough to see to machine quilt and even left a slight sheen like the fabric. Most of it rubbed off in the machine quilting and I didn't have to erase. So different pencils work for different fabrics.