Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have a question

Yes they will work up wonderful. Have fun. :D

I agree with Annt. Great makings for a great quilt.

Shirts can yield 1 1/2 yards fabric, or more. If you choose to do a quilt from them, you will have more than one when you finish.

If you have a men's shelter near you, perhaps you could choose the shirts you want in a quilt, and share the windfall with the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni M
    You bet! I cut up vintage clothing from thrift shop even if I can only get a few squares. So If you can get a quilt out of free cotton fabric I'd go for it!
    Jenni, have you ever been to the Scioto Ribber? They have some of the best ribs ever! I'm from Ashland and we come to Portsmouth every couple of months for dinner.

You're lucky. I just went to the Goodwill Store recently and bought about a dz white shirts with blue pinstripes of various widths/designs. I'm mixing it with various shades of blue to make a blue and white quilt for my daughter's lake house that is done in blue and white. Just cut the two fronts, the back without the yoke and even the sleeves. Amazing how much fabric you'll get.

Blog Entries
    I have used plaid flannels for squares with denim.
    Clothing works great for an added POP in a scrappy quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee
    I was given about thirty cotton men's dress shirts for my husband but they are too big for him. Can I cut these up and make a quilt out of them. Many of them look like they have never been wore. They are a mans xl big and tall. Although dh is five eleven he only wears a large and that is a little loose so he suggested that I use them in a quilt alot of material there
    If I were you, I'd find a homeless person who would have a use for some clothing & gave away some.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I would use them in a quilt. In fact I've already made several with men's shirts. Good ol' Salvation Army has loads of barely worn shirts. The percale white shirts are great for setting blocks together.

My uncle died a year ago and his daughter had my daughter make 8 small quilts from her father's shirts. One for each family member. My DD used the pockets on many of them, and has a way of folding a piece of fabric to make little shirts, used the button band and buttons on them. They were made in love and will be cherished forever by three generations of family members and still there is fabric left to make something else.
    Use them up or give them away or do both, how lucky can you get?

Carol J.

Another site is www.ohfransson.com. Search for June17, 2009 for her clothesline quilts.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great idea! Use them in a quilt. There isn't a better way of recycling unless you donate them to a shelter.

Blog Entries
    Years ago I used DH's out grown flannel shirts to back a blue jean quilt. All was recycled garments.

check this site out:

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html

There are several of us going to start this after the first of the year.

Good luck.

COULD donate the extra ones you don't need to a ministry to folks needing clothing. That is a LOT of shirts. Maybe you don't need that many to make a quilt. Maybe some are to thin to really make up well in a quilt. Know what I mean, if they are "see-thru" your quilt's seams would show pretty bad. Anyway, just some thoughts. Blessings! <3 <3 <3

I was given about thirty cotton men's dress shirts for my husband but they are too big for him. Can I cut these up and make a quilt out of them. Many of them look like they have never been wore. They are a mans xl big and tall. Although dh is five eleven he only wears a large and that is a little loose so he suggested that I use them in a quilt alot of material there
    You can use these for background (the light colored ones) for scrap quilting. They're great for that. I buy men's shirts at Goodwill all the time (Dollar day). There's about 2 to 2-1/2 yards in each of t hose shirts.

Or you could donate some of them! Jan

Since they were given to you, I would assume they are your's to do "whatever" with. Looking forward to seeing the beautiful quilt you will make... :)

I saw a fabulous quilt made from the shirt pockets. Each pocket was sewn onto a square and the squares were sashed into the quilt. Each pocket had a piece of muslin with a good luck wish written on it! It was made as a birthday gift for a woman whose husband had passed away some years before. It was not only beautiful but clever as well. You could use it for any special occasion. Have fun with it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely, and it would be adorable with stripes, plaids, I can just see it! I also saw a pattern for an apron in Amy Barickman's "Vintage Notions" that uses a man's shirt. the shirt back becomes the apron front, and the straps are cut from the shirt front. Adorable. Lots of men's shirts have some polyester, so would likely not shrink like cottons.

Oh yes. Start cutting!!!

My mother use men shirt all the time for her quilts because when she did her quilting we had a shirt shop in town where she would get seconds

My husband of 50 1/2 years passed away last year and I plan on making a quilt out of his shirts. That is, when I can stand to start cutting his shirts up, which I haven't reached that point yet, but I will this coming year, I hope.

Windsong

I use a lot of clothing given to me for making beautiful charity quilts

Blog Entries
    Go for it gal. They will make a terrific quilt

Don't know if someone already posted this link, haven't read all the messages yet ..

this shows how to cut men shirts and how to make a quilt out of them

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast