Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I just quilted Flowers with my Walking Foot! I am so happy

I have a machine that I can't get the tension right to try FMQ, so today I made flowers using my walking foot in 4" squares. I am so tickled with myself since I really want some other design besides SID, or other straight lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done! Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Very nice! I have not even ventured that far yet -- just straight lines for me!

Blog Entries
    Oh, that looks really nice!

Blog Entries
    Good Job! That is very pretty quilting :D:D:D

MTS
    Banned
    Very cool.

It reminded me, on a much larger scale, of Diane Gaudynski's sashiko quilting.

Her sashiko goes for the circle motif, while you're using the flower, but they are both created the same way.

You might want to take a look at it.
    Here's her blog post from 2009:
    http://dianegaudynski.blogspot.com/2...hiko-tips.html

It would allow you to do the whole quilt in lines rather than turning the quilt numerous times within each block. You wouldn't have to mark a grid because you already have one - the blocks. Maybe just mark the center of the blocks for guidance for each "swoop" in the line.

And, yes, you can continue to the whole quilt with your walking foot.

Just a thought.

Great job. You did good. I love it. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Very cool.

It reminded me, on a much larger scale, of Diane Gaudynski's sashiko quilting.

Her sashiko goes for the circle motif, while you're using the flower, but they are both created the same way.

You might want to take a look at it.
    Here's her blog post from 2009:
    http://dianegaudynski.blogspot.com/2...hiko-tips.html

It would allow you to do the whole quilt in lines rather than turning the quilt numerous times within each block. You wouldn't have to mark a grid because you already have one - the blocks. Maybe just mark the center of the blocks for guidance for each "swoop" in the line.

And, yes, you can continue to the whole quilt with your walking foot.

Just a thought.
    Isn't that FMQ? If I use my walking foot I would be turning, turning turning. But I love her design!

Your quilting is really pretty. I am not good at all with FMQ, so I always do SID.

This is probably a dumb question, but I really need to know. What did you do to make your stitching look like hand quilting? By that I mean, one stitch showing and then space before you see the thread of the next stitch. Is that a special setting on your machine?

Thanks for any tips anyone can give me.

I just got a walking foot, and if I can do something else with it, besides SID, I would really love to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter
    Your quilting is really pretty. I am not good at all with FMQ, so I always do SID.

This is probably a dumb question, but I really need to know. What did you do to make your stitching look like hand quilting? By that I mean, one stitch showing and then space before you see the thread of the next stitch. Is that a special setting on your machine?

Thanks for any tips anyone can give me.

I just got a walking foot, and if I can do something else with it, besides SID, I would really love to learn it.
    Those are just regular stitches, but I see what you mean they do look like there is a space in between. Maybe it is because it is a close-up.

To make that flower I made and X on the block to find the center then I drew (freehand) from one corner a curved line making 1/2 the petal and crossed over the center and curved the other way to make the bottom half. Like a long "S" shape. I did that on all 4 corners then sewed the same way I drew it. I stopped at the opposite corner and turned the quilt around and went back to the starting point. You need to repeat that process for the other petals. It took a little practice to make the petals equal, but this is a charity quilt that I am practicing on.

Here is my drawing of what I did..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Awesome and brave

Charity or not...you've done a remarkable job on this with the walking foot or dual feed food. Verrrry Prrrreeettty!

That's very pretty!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    wow ! great stitching ! Was your tension changed from normal quilting?? please .. detail info on the walking foot use !
    wonderflul !

Ell

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit
    Isn't that FMQ? If I use my walking foot I would be turning, turning turning. But I love her design!
    Diane's scale for each curve is 1/4"-3/8" and , yes, she does it with FMQ.

But you don't have to. Your scale is much larger than hers. What are those block sizes? >2", right?

Just like you made curves within the block, you can follow the same path through a whole row/column, and then come back the other way.

eta:
    I see you just posted the "route" that you followed.
    Perfect.

So let's say you mark all the blocks accordingly, if that makes you more comfortable.

You would follow the purple line from the bottom left corner to the top right corner of the first block (just like in your pic), and then continue to the TOP left corner of the second block instead of completing the loop back to where you began.

You would snake your way up all the blocks. Now THEN you turn the quilt around, and go back down. You eliminated all the turning within each block.

Which is how Diane does with FMQ, but can also be done with a walking foot on a larger scale.

I just tried it on a piece of paper with 2" grids to see how it works.
    You just have to get a feel for when you shift so the shapes will have consistent sizes and placements.
    Which you were doing anyway. It takes a few blocks to get it right. And, again, if you're drawing out your route on the fabric, it will make it even easier.

And I agree it does make it look a lot like hand stitching in the photo. ;-) Could be the combo of the threads up top and in your bobbin. Very cool effect.

Great job! I just did a tulip motiff using my walking foot for the first time and it didn't come out nearly as nice as yours. Kudos!!!

Good job.

I love this. I have tension problems with FMQ too, but my machine is quite happy with a walking foot, so I must experiment. Thanks for the inspiration.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. What thread did you use for quilting?
    I think I'm stuck with my walking foot so I may try that one of these days.

Thank you for the inspiration.............I shall try it :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well done, great idea and it looks fabulous. :thumbup:

That's really nice and simple, too. That's what I need, simple! My quilting is usually some form of grid - I am in awe of all those who can curly-q and feather stitch, but I think that I could try your version.

Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    Good job!!

Blog Entries
    congrats! that looks terrific!

Nice work! I will have to try this technique! I never thought/tried to make flowers using walking foot! Actually sound easier than FMQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast