Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I know some won't agree but please reconsider

Blog Entries
    I would lovee to know that a b member is right down the block from me...and while were at it, id love more info in the bio area.sooooomany times, for swap or whatever, id like to add something for a fur baby, garden dh or fav color fab.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I just put in my "name" that I go by on most sites and it said I lived in the town and state that my kids live in. Wow! And then below on another site it said my actual name!!!!! Wow! That's scary! It is not the one I use here. The one I'm talking about has numbers after my name. The name I use here refers to a man.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I used to have my city and state posted, but then when I joined the Secret Santa it becomes a problem. I will return home from the North Pole after Secret Santa time is done. We try to keep our identities secret so that we have a lot more fun. I have met some wonderful new friends through recognizing nearby towns, and it is fun to see people who live where I used to live.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I understand protecting your information (I'm hardcore about shredding everything that comes in my house with my name on it) but I really think giving your state isn't getting too personal. If you don't agree then I will understand.
    This board, and every little shred of information posted on it, is completely open to anyone in the world with internet access...no membership required. You may feel like you are just 'talking to friends' or that 'no one here would do me harm', but that's just not realistic in today's world.

My sense of safety and privacy, however imaginary that may be, trumps your sense of curiosity as to my whereabouts. If I need help with something that needs regional knowledge, as in your LQS or machine examples, there are plenty of resources available, both IRL and via a web search, without revealing any personal information whatsoever.

It is one thing to mention your location in a post from time to time, it is another to wear a sign with your address on it which is what the profile info does.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    I agree.those who are looking to harm people usually can find them with out a quilting board to help them.
    No kidding. Like at the local grocery store...the stalker could just sit in a car and watch you go in and then follow you home.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    You can search for members by location. Go into the Member List, go to Search Members (it's in blue to the right of the page numbers), you'll see Advanced Search below the box that pops up, click it, then scan down to the box that says Location and type in your location. A bunch of people should pop up.
    Thanks for that....I hadn't discovered it yet. I added to my profile and did a member search and found 13 members in my city and 26 in state area! Maybe we should get together and sew!!!

It is actually a very nice idea to mention where we are and it is not like people would need the board to find our addresses. Besides I got to contact a member last week whom i found out lives too close to me and now we are planning on getting together soon. How cool is that?
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

I put my info on but have not yet met anyone in person. I know several people who live really close to me. I just haven't had the time to set anything up and they have not initiated but maybe later down the road it would be nice.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I love seeing locations of people as they post comments. It's so amazing to see responses from other states and other countries. It's so cool that our hobby spans all borders.
    Mavis

I agree posting your location is pretty safe. I mean how big is Phoenix, and finding me would be like a needle in a haystack. Same with both cities, and very few of us use our real names, and honestly I would not even mind doing that here with this group.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    At first, I didn't post my location, but I am in a location that takes up a HUGE land area. My county is larger than the state of RI!! If someone is hell bent on finding me, they can do it in a myriad of ways. I will caution others on this board that your comments are, indeedy, very public. Type some quilting term in your Internet browser and if its been discussed on here, that thread pops up. Good thing we're knowledgeable and nice!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I have made some wonderful friends that I have met thru message boards. A group of us got together last summer - some had never met face to face, but as we sat and chatted, it was like we had known one another for lifetime!! For those who haven't done so, maybe the first step will be listing your state or the general area - Central OH, NE Ohio, SE Ohio...etc...
    Hey! You are just "up the road from me"! I am north of Middletown. If you get together again, PM me - I would love to meet fellow board members!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I am probably the queen of paranoia when it comes to the web...but posting your state ? States are big, areas!
    There is an app that people can get that will find the EXACT GPS coordinates from any pic taken by cell phone...now that's scary to me!
    Having said that, I find it amazing (and scary) how much personal info people give out on these forums...if you go through you prior posts you could probably find out where your kids go to school, where you work, your spouse's first name....way too much info in my opinion....but a state? Not a problem!

I guess i picked a good user name - my stuff doesn't pop up til the bottom of the page and on page 2!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I just added mine. I'm not sure why I didn't originally. It's been a long time since I joined.

I had not thought about this in this way. Just updated my profile! Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    It took me a while to figure out how to add it to my profile when I first started on QB but I agree it does help. One of these days I am going to get help to add an avatar picture too.
    I am this way, also. I don't even have my state on mine because I haven't figured out how to do it. I'm spending way too much time looking at everything that is posted, and find it hard to find the time to just SEW. I love reading where everyone is from, so I guess one of these days I'll just DO IT.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I thought that maybe if I added town and state (after all unless you live in a town of 1 household) I figured there is allot of easier way like stalking to find me.Anyway if I added both who knows maybe I'll make a quilt friend!! Very least yall may be able to help. Usually I look at where a person is before I ask about a pattern.There was one that was posted called Spirals and was a tablerunner but I didn't notice she was in Canada.Later I found out it was a Canadian pattern so I didn't want to pay for postage (high) and how long it takes to get in the mail

Soooo, are you near the great city of Lafayette?

Thanks for the post. Had not looked at my profile sence the day I created it. Have now listed my location.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post

You can search for members by location. Go into the Member List, go to Search Members (it's in blue to the right of the page numbers), you'll see Advanced Search below the box that pops up, click it, then scan down to the box that says Location and type in your location. A bunch of people should pop up.
    Thanks. I hadn't discovered this feature.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Hi Marie,

I just want to tell you that I have two sons that live in Bend. One is visitng with his girlfriend this week. Next time I visit (possibly next summer) I will let you know so we can meet up downtown. They live off of Newport Ave.

Love Bend!
    Kathleen
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

I see no problem in posting my town and state--so far in all the posts I've read no one else is from Alaska and if I'm on a group and someone asks about that it is because they are traveling here and want to know about fabric shops in this small area.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    This board, and every little shred of information posted on it, is completely open to anyone in the world with internet access...no membership required. You may feel like you are just 'talking to friends' or that 'no one here would do me harm', but that's just not realistic in today's world.

My sense of safety and privacy, however imaginary that may be, trumps your sense of curiosity as to my whereabouts. If I need help with something that needs regional knowledge, as in your LQS or machine examples, there are plenty of resources available, both IRL and via a web search, without revealing any personal information whatsoever.

It is one thing to mention your location in a post from time to time, it is another to wear a sign with your address on it which is what the profile info does.
    I like the idea of safety and privacy. Where do you have it stored? My health insurance company has just sent us a form asking us if we wanted to change any info or change plans for the coming year and informing us of increasing rates. They also informed us of the not so new service that our entire health record is now on computer and available for any medical personnel anywhere to access as per gov't requirement. My bank called us last month to tell us someone in the UK had gone shopping with our bank card. We sold a vehicle and bought a different one this fall. Companies I never heard of have approached via our personal phone telling us the mileage of the new car and saying we need to service it this way and that and insure it this way and that. I've had companies call and tell me the age of my appliances and suggest I use their sale to either buy a new one or buy a service contract. So I repeat, where do you keep your safety and privacy ?

the only thing another quilter will stalk is your stash!! LOL!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast