Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . . >

I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . .

I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . .

Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM

Default I may have cross the "too much fabric" line . . .

But it's sure fun on this side!

Over 30 years ago my older sister (she's more than 10 years older than me) worked in a quilt shop for about three years. And, of course, she bought anything she fell in love with. As the years went by she sewed up a few things, but never really did get into quilting like she thought she might.

She's now retirement age, and knows it's not something she ever wants to do again, and I told her if she ever wanted to part with it, I'd buy it from her. I've been carrying on my Mom's plan of making quilts for all the family members, so I'm always looking for affordable fabric. (since I have 9 siblings and over 30 nieces and nephews and the grands are showing up now).

I just got home from visiting her, and came back with 6 boxes of fabric. I've gone through one and it's over 45 yards - with most being 2-3 yard cuts. The best thing -she and I have similar likes in colors, so I knew I'd love it all. She wanted to go through it all before sending it down the road, and she said it felt like visiting old friends.

I'll be making her a scrappy quilt to use pieces of as many fabrics as I can, so she can still have them. She also showed me some special fabrics she had bought when her twins were little (20 years ago) but never used, so I'll be making them both lap quilts - and maybe some day they can use them as baby quilts for a future generation of family members.

What made me realize I may need to stop buying fabric - I think this will increase my stash by about 30%. Good thing I make a couple of quilts a month!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Oh man, I would love to have a photograph of it, just to see what that much fabric looks like. That is fantastic for you to get that, and it's lovely of you to make her a quilt with some of it.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:26 PM

How wonderful to keep the fabric & the quilts in the family. I wish I would have invested in more fabric when I was working & fabrics were less expensive. Fixed income is a real bummer when you have a hobby like quilting.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM

How fortunate you are---both in family and fabric!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 04:33 PM

Good for you, Macybaby! Very creative thinking as to what would really please your sister and her twins.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:34 PM

That sounds like fun and a great way to get fabric. Enjoy yourself!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
How wonderful to keep the fabric & the quilts in the family. I wish I would have invested in more fabric when I was working & fabrics were less expensive. Fixed income is a real bummer when you have a hobby like quilting.
When I quilted before, I don't remember fabric being this expensive! And you are right that a fixed income doesn't help. I doubt I will ever have a stash again at these prices!

Louise
Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 AM

OH, how wonderful and so nice of your sister. I am glad that you will be using the fabric to make quilts for family members. Many memories will be made by you.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Wow, that's like having your own Quilt Fairy, congrats on your new collection. I try to go thru my stash but always find myself going to LQS for backing or accent. It's a terrible practice but oh, so much fun. Happy Quilting.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 AM

Continuing to make quilts for every family member - Love the idea. You have a good supply now, so no more fabric delays!! One of our local quilt stores went out of business in September, and I purchased a good amount. What helps (?) deplete the stash is the amount of backing needed. Glad I have all that I have. Enjoy your acquisition!