Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advice on borders. >

I need advice on borders.

I need advice on borders.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:21 PM

Question I need advice on borders.

Hello fellow quilters,

I'm working on a quilt the pattern is from Craftsy's It's the Canon Creek quilt along, I bought the kit 10-11 years ago, just now getting it finished, and when I bought the kit I wanted to make the quilt bigger, the pattern is more of a xl twin and I WAS wanting a queen, now my Sister in law wants the quilt and needs/wants a California King. My problem is when I bought the kit they didn't have anymore of the dark blue batik so I ended up purchasing one of the tan batiks for the extra fabric needed, anyway, I went to a fabric store and bought a dark blue that will work, but I can't figure out how to arrange the borders, or how many is too many. the pattern calls for 2 borders, one a medium green2 1/2" and the other 7 1/2" dark blue, the pattern has an addendum saying to add another 9 1/2" border to make it a queen, I'll need to add another border (which will make it 4 borders) and need another 9 1/2" to make it a cal. King. SO if you're still with me, I usually do light to dark with my borders but I don't think I should put the 2 dark blue fabrics together, they blend well but maybe too well.
1. Is 4 borders too many?
2. will putting the tan color between to two blues make the eye jump around? KWIM?
3. What would you do? I don't have enough of the medium green to make it a bigger border than the 2 1/2".
sorry if this was confusing or too long.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:44 PM

What are the dimensions of the quilt top before you add any borders?
Old 01-02-2021, 04:43 PM

Default I'll measure in the morning

I haven't measured it yet, I'll measure it in the morning.
thank you for replying.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM

If you please send a picture too.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:47 AM

Not sure if this is the quilt you’re talking about or not, I bought my kit from Blueprint about 2-3 years ago. IMHO, if you want to enlarge it I would pull out the graph paper, and graph out complimentary blocks to add some additional pieced borders. This would alleviate your concern of too many solid borders and allow you to get it to the size you need. Star blocks, log cabin blocks, delectable mountain, etc would give you the best size options for your additional borders and look well with the overall design.

https://discountquiltkits.com/index....eek-quilt-kit/
Old 01-03-2021, 04:05 AM

How I would do this:
l. measure what you have.
2. figure out what the client wants as far as size.
3. Inventory the available fabrics.
4. start with the darkest fabric and put a "containment:" border around the pieced quilt. No larger than 2 inches 1 3/4 finished.
5. Line up the rest of the fabrics, lightest to darkest.
6. Use fabrionaie ?????? number system to make a light border around the containment border and then the next darkest and finally the same darkest color as the containment border.
7. You will have 4 borders.
8. bind with the same as outside border.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:33 AM

Default yes

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Not sure if this is the quilt you’re talking about or not, I bought my kit from Blueprint about 2-3 years ago. IMHO, if you want to enlarge it I would pull out the graph paper, and graph out complimentary blocks to add some additional pieced borders. This would alleviate your concern of too many solid borders and allow you to get it to the size you need. Star blocks, log cabin blocks, delectable mountain, etc would give you the best size options for your additional borders and look well with the overall design.

https://discountquiltkits.com/index....eek-quilt-kit/
Yes this is the quilt, I thought about adding another round of blocks but I don't have enough fabric, I might be able to make a pieced border from scraps, this gives something to think about. I also may just make it as planned and my sister in law can use it as a throw. (it's a gift for her anyway, meaning she's not paying. ) She live in Alaska north of the arctic line so she will use it 10-11 months out of the year.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 AM

I would add more pieced borders until your center is at least as wide as a CA King mattress (72”). The quilt pattern is crappy enough that even if you don’t repeat any fabrics in the borders, it can look planned. And with stars, half square triangles and log cabins in the center, you have lots of options. Friendship or sawtooth stars, flying geese, half square triangles, piano keys or string pieced strips. Grab some graph paper and have fun with it!
Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 AM

Default THANK YOU made a decision

I've decided to make as is, and not enlarge it, it'll be a good throw size and get used more often on the couch because they live in Alaska.
Thank you everyone who took time to answer.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Janinem View Post
Yes this is the quilt, I thought about adding another round of blocks but I don't have enough fabric, I might be able to make a pieced border from scraps, this gives something to think about. I also may just make it as planned and my sister in law can use it as a throw. (it's a gift for her anyway, meaning she's not paying. ) She live in Alaska north of the arctic line so she will use it 10-11 months out of the year.
If you can take the top to a quilt shop that sells and has a good selection of batiks, I think you would be able to find fabrics that would compliment and work with the original fabrics to make blocks with. You could incorporate the original border fabrics with purchased fabrics to make your pieced borders if you are so inclined. Good luck with what ever you choose and don’t forget to post pictures of the finished quilt.