Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need help and lots of it! Paper piecing (Barbsbus please don't look)

Well, I made my first attempt at paper piecing for my swap partner this month, Barbsbus. I looked at a tutorial on youtube and chose a pattern. Well, somehow something went terribly wrong. Somehow I sewed over everything twice. I placed the fabric right side against the paper (like the video said). I had a feeling when I was doing it something wasn't right. I went ahead and finished it then took the paper off. Well, I can see ALL of the sewing lines and....you'll see the rest. Also, it was a two part template and I couldn't figure out how to join the two, although I tried. The block has not been squared up... I figured "what's the point!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

My thought, you started with a pattern that was too tough. Start way simpler and move on to something more difficult when you get comfortable with the process.

Check out these videos they may be more clear for you.

http://artisania.wordpress.com/2010/...ials-are-here/

Do you have any suggestions for a simpler pattern? Thanks.

When I did paper piecing, I always put the right side away from the paper..??? When you added the next piece it want with the 1st piece and the next one right sides together. Once it was sewn, the new piece was finger pressed open. You now have both right sides visible from one side and the paper on the other side. Don't know how to do it without showing you, sorry.

Ok, here is a link to a site that I think explains paper piecing very clearly and includes a practice page:

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

Here is a quilt that looks like it is a little easier:

http://www.quilterscache.co/A/AlbumTwistBlock.html

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    When I did paper piecing, I always put the right side away from the paper..??? When you added the next piece it want with the 1st piece and the next one right sides together. Once it was sewn, the new piece was finger pressed open. You now have both right sides visible from one side and the paper on the other side. Don't know how to do it without showing you, sorry.
    After you said this I think I realize what I did wrong. I put the right side of the fabric to the back side of the paper. With the pattern on top. I think maybe I should have sewed in on the top of the paper in the way you mentioned nursie76. That would definitely make more sense than the way I did it. Haha, I'm still laughing at my attempt.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opps! I didn't ask what size block you needed...the same site has lots of blocks, just check to see if they say "paper pieced" after the name.

Thank you for all the help!

Good luck! I love paper piecing...perfect points!

Marine has this block in a wall hanging. The thread is "Spring Flowers - PP" in the Pictures section. Just a thought at someone who might "know" the block. :) Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    My thought, you started with a pattern that was too tough. Start way simpler and move on to something more difficult when you get comfortable with the process.

Check out these videos they may be more clear for you.

http://artisania.wordpress.com/2010/...ials-are-here/
    Oh I am sooo excited! If you watch all the videos you get a good lesson in paper piecing. The third or fourth one is the actual sewing of the block showing folding the paper on the line and everything! That is just the way I was taught! Kay you are wonderful.

These videos look awesome. Thanks Kay!

Blog Entries
    Here is an awesome Tute on the board that got me "fixed" when I was struggling :wink: In fact she did it for me to help me understand , I was totally clueless :oops:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25541-1.htm

This is why a lot of people hate paper piecing. But DON'T QUIT!!!! Paper piecing is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it and you will, just keep trying. I don't have anything more than what's already been posted to offer other than encouragement. Hang in there, once you get it you'll be so happy.

ps: your's doesn't look much different that some of my first attempts.

Blog Entries
    I've always said Quilting is Practice! and you've just started with Paper Piecing. Congrats! You will Get It!

Keep trying and use what works for you.

I've paperpieced successfully but don't use the fold over paper method I've seen here. I just make sure I cut the fabric a little larger than needed, put right sides together making sure it extends beyond the sew line, sew, trim back with scissors and then hit it with a small Dry iron.

In the future if I get a piece with unusual shapes, I probably will try the part about copying/printing the pattern, cutting each piece out, and then using that as a template for an Unusual shape. Otherwise I'll keep using squares and rectangles and triangles to make PP work.

Good luck to you!

Carol Doak is one of my favorite PP teachers. Her site is www.caroldoak.com and she has a lot of free pattersns. I have several of her books, they have good instructions in them.Like others said, once you get the hang of it , it is fun

yes, Carol Doaks makes it simple and easy to understand. You can buy a DVD from here site, and it is great.
    http://www.caroldoak.com/

I didn't think I could learn to do it, and she had me understanding in about 15 minutes. Keep going!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The pattern we did for the Feb (I think) BOM was a Carol Doak and it was easy. My only attempts prior to that had been painful and ugly!

The 1st piece is right side up against paper. All the rest are right sides together. I trim seam allowance as I go along. I trim block on the out side lines. But I don't pull off paper till I am done sewing everything together. That way nothing goes out of shape. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
    The 1st piece is right side up against paper. All the rest are right sides together. I trim seam allowance as I go along. I trim block on the out side lines. But I don't pull off paper till I am done sewing everything together. That way nothing goes out of shape. Hope that helps
    Hmmm, you put the 1st piece right side to the paper or do you mean face up with the back of the material against the back (not printed on) side of the paper?

Blog Entries
    You always put the fabric on the side of the paper with no printing, so the first piece of fabric goes on the unprinted side of the paper with the right side of the fabric facing up .Does that make sense ?

Blog Entries
    Oh gosh...my first attempts looked just like that!!! By now, I bet the Light bulb went off and now you know what you did....just jump back in and try again, you'll get it and then you'll love it!

Pam
    Yours looks just about right for a first attempt. Keep at it, you will learn to love it, but you must remember that you are training your brain with this technique. This is NOT intuitive, everything is backward from how your brain "wants" it to be.

Oh my! You did have a time of it. Follow the great video tutes and it will come to you. Once you get it, it is like riding a bike.
    Don't give up-PPing is fun and the points are sooo much better than I can do otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast