Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some help!!! >

I need some help!!!

I need some help!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 AM

My little sewing area is just not flowing. I started this morning on the signature blocks for dd's quilt and i find myself sewing a seam and getting up to go press, sew a seam, get up press and trim.....and so on. I just feel like I'm spending the majority of my time going from one small place to another! I have a 9x9 area so its really small and there are several machines in this area. I'm willing to move two out though to make things work better. The two I want to keep are the machine at the window and the treadle. So anyone have any ideas on how to make this work better? Oh and excuse the mess! I'm in the middle of several things and have not cleaned up in a few days. I have to do something though today before I throw my hands up and walk out! I'd like it to be convenient to both machines and no I can't knock walls out! lol!

treadle and cutting area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82873[/ATTACH]

ironing area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82874[/ATTACH]

the whole space
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82875[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82868.jpe   attachment-82869.jpe   attachment-82870.jpe  
Old 06-10-2010, 05:37 AM

You have a lot of under utilized storage space. Change the tables out for dressers if you don't sit at them and that'll help your storage issues some.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 AM

Do you have one of the mini irons??? Could you move a table beside you with the mini iron on it?? You wouldn't have to get up and down soooo much. Or move machine to another table where the iron could be close??
Old 06-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Pam

Move your sewing machine over about 2 feet to the left and put an ironing surface right next to you on the right. You can purchase a wooden tv tray, cover with one layer of cotton batting and a layer of muslin and set it right next to you, works great.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 AM

Okay, first of all take everything out of the room and paint it white or off white to make it look and feel bigger. Just kidding, although it would help. Do you have a chair with rollers? If not, that's what you need. Also, exchange the ironing table with the cutting table if possible, or while you're sewing and just wanting to press seams, get one of those small wooden snack tables, cover it with a pad and set it and your iron right by your machine. Sometimes you can pick one up at a thrift store for almost nothing. You also could use some more shelves and maybe some peg board for hanging your sewing utensils. Hope this helps. You've inspired me to get my sewing area more straight. (right now, mine looks worse than yours)
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 AM

I agree that something to store things in would be very helpful to you. There is room under the ironing surface and cutting board. Getting things out of the way so you can sew is very helpful. I have some big clear plastic bins that I keep fabric in. I like them clear so I can see what's in them and keeping stuff in bins keeps the dust off it.

Your thread racks are great and I see you have some shelves on the wall. How about another set of shelves?

The hardest part is actually getting started. Once you start, it will all fall into place. {{{{{hugs}}}}}
Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 AM

Do you have an office chair that is on wheels? I LOVE mine and just kick myself back from the sewing machine and there is the ironing board.

I store my fabric on shelves so I can see what I have. For me out of sight out of mind. You could say I am just plain out of mind. lol
Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Pam

Originally Posted by Pam
Move your sewing machine over about 2 feet to the left and put an ironing surface right next to you on the right. You can purchase a wooden tv tray, cover with one layer of cotton batting and a layer of muslin and set it right next to you, works great.
edited to add picture.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82871.jpe  
Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 AM

Another thing, bookcases are great for lots of storage in a small footprint.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 AM

I love that floor!!!!!!!!!! And you have a window at a perfect level to butt your sewing machine table too.. How much better does it get than that?!!!!!! Let's put the sewing machine there so you can see the birds and squirrels.
I guess I am left brained. I am right handed and work to the left. Anything on the right side of my machine is forgotten. You know which side you work to. Put your ironing surface there; the TV tray, an old wooden cutting board, lower your ironing board to your sitting down height, just pick something easy for now.
Ok, you are ready to quilt. Finish this project.
Then empty the room, paint it a light color if you'd like and set it up like you'd like it using the ideas in this post as well as any others you have had. The storage, organization and a workspace that flows will save you so much time!
Good luck. Regards, Dorothy