Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need your help ( Irish Chain)

Blog Entries

I need your help ( Irish Chain)

I just finished a large Irish Chain (Missouri Quilt) It is 88 by 208. I need to know what kind of quilting would be the best for me . I am a beginer and have only made a few small quilts and stippled them or stich in the dich. I have a brother 1500 which has a little bigger throat, but I am not at all good yet. Please give me your opinon what I should do. Thanks in advance Cookie

Congratulations! The quilting I've seen most often on Irish Chain is a diagonal across each square. I'm sure others will have some great ideas for the blank spaces.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie LM View Post
    I just finished a large Irish Chain (Missouri Quilt) It is 88 by 208.
    I hope you mean 88x108 LOL
    since the pattern leaves large open areas, i would find a design to use in each one and then just a straight line diagonally through the chains. a friend made me an irish chain and did shamrocks in the open areas.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Here's the Baby Irish Chain I just completed ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t213094.html

If you look closely, you can see that I did the diagonal quilting, just on the chains.
    You will need to watch your batting requirements for quilting spacing, as this does leave large open spaces.
    Of course, dependent on the size of your chains/blocks.
    If it was too large an area, then you could put a motif of some sort in the open area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

It was nice to read someone else is working on what I am, what a huge project. I think mine will turn out to be 110" x 110". I'm not brave or talented enough to do my own quilting so I am going to send mine to MSQC for all over quilting. I've previously sent a quilt with beautiful results, I just don't dare try one that big on my bernina.
    groovey

Blog Entries
    Thanks ArtsyOne This is my first large quilt and I want to do it all my self

Blog Entries
    Wow am I crazy.it is 88x108 I think I will try the diagonal lines and something in the center. Thanks for you quick response.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
    It was nice to read someone else is working on what I am, what a huge project. I think mine will turn out to be 110" x 110". I'm not brave or talented enough to do my own quilting so I am going to send mine to MSQC for all over quilting. I've previously sent a quilt with beautiful results, I just don't dare try one that big on my bernina.
    I have never quilted a large one, but this is my first and I really want it to be my own. I may regret this but I am going to try. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Here's the Baby Irish Chain I just completed ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t213094.html

If you look closely, you can see that I did the diagonal quilting, just on the chains.
    You will need to watch your batting requirements for quilting spacing, as this does leave large open spaces.
    Of course, dependent on the size of your chains/blocks.
    If it was too large an area, then you could put a motif of some sort in the open area.
    Thanks your quilt is beautiful, yours are always great. This is my first large one and I just want to try and quilt it myself. I may regret it in the end but for now. I am going to try. Likeing you diagonal lines, not sure what to do with the empty squares but I will work on that. Going to check out the internet for more sugestions. Thanks again.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is mine. All pieced and quilted on a Brother 1500. It's cross hatched except the borders. They have a border design in them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t197389.html

Blog Entries
    I made a blue and white baby quilt last year in using the Irish Chain and I cross-hatch quilted mine using my walking foot. It was easy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    Here is mine. All pieced and quilted on a Brother 1500. It's cross hatched except the borders. They have a border design in them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t197389.html
    I really need to talk to you, Did you start in the middle or on the edge, If you started in the middle, did you work clear to the end or just part of the way then back to middle. I really appreciate any sugestions you have thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I made a blue and white baby quilt last year in using the Irish Chain and I cross-hatch quilted mine using my walking foot. It was easy.
    I have a walking foot but have never used it. Do you leave the feed dogs up? I am excited and scared to get started thanks did you start in the middle?

Blog Entries
    Yes, the feed dogs stay up. On the machines I use the waking foot on I cannot lower the feed dogs, so the walking foot is great for straight stitch quilting. I did start in the middle. I actually used painters tape on the first few lines of stitching and did diagonals lines from corner to corner then I filled in the rest of the spaces with diagonal stitching. It was pretty easy once I had the first few lines in.

Thanks your quilt is beautiful, yours are always great. This is my first large one and I just want to try and quilt it myself. I may regret it in the end but for now. I am going to try. Likeing you diagonal lines, not sure what to do with the empty squares but I will work on that. Going to check out the internet for more sugestions. Thanks again.
    Thanks CookieLM ... I haven't done any large bed-size quilts, as honestly, it's a lot of fabric to stuff thru the hole of the machine, even the Janome 6600 that I have. I feel like I am making progress, and wish I could spend more time doing the quilting in order ot get better.

As for what to put in the centre, it somewhat depends on the "mood" of the quilt. If appropriate a ♥ outlined could be lovely. If for a child, a teddy bear or other animal. For an adult, a flower? or to keep it simple, a square on point (like a square in a square, quilt design? or how about stippling everywhere but the Irish Chain?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Annthreecats: I thought that was the way but I wasn't sure. I really appreaciate your help Thanks again
    Last edited by Cookie LM; 02-11-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Thanks CookieLM ... I haven't done any large bed-size quilts, as honestly, it's a lot of fabric to stuff thru the hole of the machine, even the Janome 6600 that I have. I feel like I am making progress, and wish I could spend more time doing the quilting in order ot get better.

As for what to put in the centre, it somewhat depends on the "mood" of the quilt. If appropriate a ♥ outlined could be lovely. If for a child, a teddy bear or other animal. For an adult, a flower? or to keep it simple, a square on point (like a square in a square, quilt design? or how about stippling everywhere but the Irish Chain?
    Thanks quilte I am nervous but I guess I just have to try. You do beautiful work. I started the Farmers Wife Pony Club with all of you. I got sick and didn't keep up. I am about half done. Want to get started back up. Feeling better now. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks quilte I am nervous but I guess I just have to try. You do beautiful work. I started the Farmers Wife Pony Club with all of you. I got sick and didn't keep up. I am about half done. Want to get started back up. Feeling better now. Thanks for all your help.
    Thanks for the kind words about my quilts, CookieLM. I have a lot to learn still and as I said, wish I could get more practice at the actual quilting side of it. RE PC, Come on back onto the threads and post your blocks! I had quite a gap in the midst too, as I had a heavy work schedule. I got going again after I had my Christmas sewing done and am trying to focus on it til I have the blocks done. Then the joining and will send it out to the LAQ. Just posted a bunch of blocks that I did on the weekend.

I would stipple in the plain middle square. This is an Irish chain that has decorative stitching in the centers of the plain squares. I like how it turned out. I don't think there is any way that is better than another. Good luck
    .Name:  My favorite Quilt (Purple quilted) 5 jjpg.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  193.0 KB

Blog Entries
    First off, 208 inches??? Whew!!! I love those typos. Next... I have made several Double Irish chains. I like to stitch about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the seam following the different colored blocks in a staircase type look. It works great and is easy to do. Plus, it makes the chain pop!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I have a blue and white Irish Chain UFO. I really like the idea of cross hatching the chain itself. What about a Celtic design for the center?

Banned
    I'm quilting (by hand) an irish chain now! I'm just putting an X through the squares and it's turning out nicely!

Power Poster
    I have made several Irish Chain quilts in varying sizes and I always machine quilt using a walking foot and going diagonally across the quilt, sometimes in just one direction and other times using cross hatching. I think it's a great quilt to machine quilt, particularly using straight line quilting. Hope you share the results with us on QB.

One of my first quilts was a nine patch with setting squares. I crossed the nine patches on a diagonal, stitched in the ditch and then hand quilted a very simple oak leaf outline in the setting squares. The hand quilting was way better than I was on the machine and it made an nice contrast (quilted in white/cream that matched the square)

Just a small word of advice, Instead of trying to roll the edges of your quilt to fit under the arm, puddle it up so you have a smooth surface. I think you will find that helps a lot. Also, look at some of the tutorials here on the board, they are very helpful. Good luck with your first try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast