Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I ruined my king size scrap quilt. >

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
hard to see the entire quilt:

That is an absolutely LOVELY quilt!! You did a wonderful job!!

I would definitely leave the backing as is. It actually looks like a pale batik.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 AM

I think my next quilt I will not mark, just sew along seam lines and diagonal lines that are marked with tape, or echo quilting applique parts.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
hard to see the entire quilt:
I think it's beautiful!!

Non-quilters will never notice the boo-boo's on the back, they will think the boo-boo's on the front are intentional.
Other quilters will sympathize with the horror you've gone through.

Perhaps eventually the bleeding will fade, and the back will mellow out.
Me, I would just throw it on my bed and enjoy!!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Finish it - use it on your bed - if you allow pets and/or grandchildren on your bed, you won't have a fit about them getting marks on it.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM

What a beautiful quilt! I have followed your story from when you first posted, and I am so GLAD you have a useable quilt!! After everything you have done, and all the worry and advice from all of us, you have fixed it! It looks wonderful, and the back does look like a pale batik. I am so relieved. I could imagine your pain and frustration.

Well done!!!!

Dina
Old 08-26-2016, 01:40 AM

JANE QUILTER'S CONCLUSION:
Surely, one conclusion to this adventure, is to test EVERY marking pen on a sandwiched sample of the fabrics you are using in your quilt. Danger lurks with every option, such as the "turquoise" in frixion pens, the "yellow" in crayola washable markers. The "blue" in washable pens from China. Marking Chalk dust that does not even claim to come out. Non-washable pencils (once the package is tossed, how do you remember?). Manufactures of fabric, dyes, sizing, marking tools are constantly changing materials or vendors to "improve" or "reduce costs". No marking technique for fabric is safe from change, so test, test, test and remember what worked for me today, might not work for you tomorrow. Let us all keep vigilant and continue to share ideas, results, products, recipes, and test results through our Quilting Board.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 AM

JANE QUILTER'S THANK-YOU:
I want to personally thank all the wonderful Quilting Board members for their sympathy, moral support, ideas, stain removing product recommendations, recipes, and new product endorsements who had nothing to gain but helping a fellow board member in distress. I truly don't know what I would have done without you, and thankfully I didn't have to find out. So, thank-you from the bottom of my heart, Jane
Old 08-26-2016, 04:23 AM

Congratulations on a job well done. It's a beautiful quilt. Enjoy. You've had a very long journey to get to this point.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:54 AM

The quilt is beautiful - enjoy it as is. Glad you were able to remove most of the discoloration. Some of the leftover may disappear over time
Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 AM
mac

Jane, what a difference in your pictures. I can see all the work that went into your quilt, so to have such a hard time getting the pen lines to come out must have been almost devastating. But, you endured and kept on trying one thing after another. Your tenacity saved the quilt where others might have given up in tears. Good for you.

As I have written many times on this QB, the people here are the best and when everyone puts their head together miracles can happen. I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone.