Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: And I said I would never need math when I grew up.......

Ladies I believe we are confusing math and arithmetic. They are two totally different beasts and geometry is a horse of another color. Those yardage charts were printed and made available to us for a reason. Who needs all the stress, quilting is supposed to fun not stressful. Put away whatever you are beating yourself with and enjoy quilting.

Andie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    And for every challenge we face, there is a QB member (or 20) to the rescue.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have always loved math, now sometimes I can't remember the simpliest things. God bless.

Power Poster
    Our grandsons were making paper "quilts" in their second grade math/arithmetic classes.

What is the difference between mathematics and arithmetic?

And then there are the people that think they don't need to know any of this because they can use a calculator.

Duh - it's helpful to know which keys to press to get a usable answer!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray

And then there are the people that think they don't need to know any of this because they can use a calculator.
    http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52282.html

I appreciate my math lessons many times when I don't have a calculator. Example, there have been many occasions when I end up doing a quick (or not so quick teehehe) calculation in the grocery store to determine which size is the better deal. I see other people grab the larger cans even though the smaller ones are a better buy.

Since you are a teacher and using math with quilting for your students, can you advise me how to show high school students about tying quilting to geometry. Our guild has been asked to make a presentation on this subject. I am heading this group. Thanks for anything you can add.

I hit the wrong keys.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer
    Since you are a teacher and using math with quilting for your students, can you advise me how to show high school students about tying quilting to geometry. Our guild has been asked to make a presentation on this subject. I am heading this group. Thanks for anything you can add.
    I'm not a teacher, but I did take "remedial math/arithmetic" at the local community college.

Some things that might help: tangrams and math manipulatives.

These are plastic shapes that can be worked/played with.

http://www.thedowsschoolroom.com/patternblocks.shtml

google: math manipulatives pattern blocks for different sources

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52282.html

I appreciate my math lessons many times when I don't have a calculator. Example, there have been many occasions when I end up doing a quick (or not so quick teehehe) calculation in the grocery store to determine which size is the better deal. I see other people grab the larger cans even though the smaller ones are a better buy.
    If I was going to compare it to reading then -

arithmetic is to mathematics what phonics is to literature

Thank you Bearisgray.

I always knew there were left brained people and right brained people. Math, engineer types and creative types. I always thought I didn't belong because I was good at math and science, yet was very creative. I always felt 'different'
    I learned just the other day there are Left-right brained people, I don't understand the biology of it, but people who use both sides of their brains, one side doesn't take preference over the other. That's me!
    I got to thinking, what a perfect endeavor, quilting! Math, geometry with the creativeness of putting colors and prints together in a pattern

Pardon :?: "arithmetic is to mathematics what phonics is to literature" You're confusing me further Bearisgray and making me think even more :roll: I hope they're all related anyway :lol:

Power Poster
    [quote=Ada Shiela]Pardon :?: "arithmetic is to mathematics what phonics is to literature" You're confusing me further Bearisgray and making me think even more :roll: I hope they're all related anyway :lol:[/quote

How about arithmetic is to mathematics

as a straight stitch treadle sewing machine is to a super-duper computerized embroidery machine

i had geometry after lunch... way back in the day when partying at lunch was not uncommon... managed to pass by the skin of my teeth.. and don't remember a thing about it...

dh has a degree in aerospace engineering... so when push comes to shove, i can get him to figure out my stuff for me... he is also a woodworker, so he does the math there anyway,..

also, he has been wonderfully handy to have around whenever any of the kids need help with math or science homework...!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3