Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

Blog Entries

I think my days of quilting with flannel are over.

I just washed some flannel to use as backing on one of my charity kid's quilts. I thought there was an excessive amount of fluff on my dryer lint screen. After just one washing it looks like guaze! I can't remember where I bought it and it has no labeling on the selvage. I looked at flannel at our new Hobby Lobby and they had a minimal selection and it is even cheesier that JoAnn's. I'll use up my stash of flannel and then never buy more. It's a shame as they usually have some nice " big boy" prints.

That's disappointing. I am new to quilting and I was looking forward to making quilts for the little ones in my life with flannel backs, since those were the ones I loved the most as a kid. Hmmm, I will probably try anyway. But this is a good heads up.
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

I've found that kids (big and little) adore fleece on the back of quilts

I have sewn with a ton of flannel over the years & most brands are not made like they use to be.
    Recently I used Moda flannel & am in love with it. It is a really nice weight, a tighter weave & super soft.
    ~Dana~

I love Moda flannels also. I also use a lot of flannel sheets purchased from thrift stores for quilt backings. But I buy only the nice Portugese flannel ones.
    Sweet Caroline

I've heard good things about Connecting Threads flannel. I've had mixed results with flannel from JoAnn's. Some of it pilled very badly (and so became batting rather than backing) but others purchased at the same time didn't pill. Can't tell until it's washed.

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads flannel is nice. I made several baby quilts with it and it didn't shrink much at all. It's not linty either.
    Got fabric?

Buying flannel is a crap shoot these days.. you just never know till its washed what you've got. I have such mixed results .. I gave up.

Blog Entries
    i love working with flannel & use it alot in quilting- i do not buy flannel from joannes, hobby lobby or walmart---
    i always make sure the description says---double sided flannel...makes a huge difference
    the best (in my opinion ) is Benartex double sided flannel & Moda Woolies flannels- they are great- i've also bought lots of great flannels from fabric.com and a few other on line sites.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads has some beautiful flannel in bright colors on sale now. I've not used it, but it sure looks pretty!
    Sue

I'm careful when I buy it anywhere other than a quilt shop, but I still get burned sometimes because it looks & feels great until you wash it. I'm not giving up though because I love flannel backed quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    Connecting Threads has some beautiful flannel in bright colors on sale now. I've not used it, but it sure looks pretty!
    I think I posted this too soon. They showed bright flannels on the email for their March Madness Sale, but they're not on sale right now. The only ones on sale now are selling for $4.18, which isn't a bad price. Not much choice, tho. Maybe next weeks sale will include the bright flannels.

Sorry if I sent anyone on a wild goose chase!
    Sue

I just bought some flannel from CT and it is lovely, haven't washed it yet but it feels very nice
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

It's a bit of a lottery and seems here at least price is not an indicator. My best buys have been remnants and thrift shop finds. I won't give up on it.....any "bad" batches end up in the middle of rag quilts or as dog quilts.

With brand name flannel such as Moda or Maywood- you get what you pay for (IMHO). I made beautiful scarfs fro the DH and DS last year that wash beautifully. and did not shrink.

I have also gotten cheap flannel that was fantastic but that is an oddity. But for the most part, when I have purchased JoAnns flannel or any other cheap flannel, I have had it shrink and fluff off. I am not a prewasher but with flannel I ALWAYS prewash. I recently purchased an unknown name flannel for backing - PERFECT color for a quilt for my son. It shrank 2" in WOF alone!! I now need more fabric as it will not work. But I will deal with it - it was only $4.99 / yd at a fabric clearance center vs $12.95 at the LQS. You do what you have to do.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Thank you for the advice on the quality of flannel, I learned something new today!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

At the end of the winter shopping season, go into stores like Sears, Penneys, etc. and buy flannel sheets. These are generally sturdier than what you find in WM, JoAnns, etc., and, when on sale can be an extremely good buy. I've used them in a couple of quilts with good results. The bonus is that you can include a matching pillow case with quilt - no extra work on your part.

Blog Entries
    Over in England our flannel choice is terrible. Quality and patterns. I have been using brushed cotton which gives a slightly wider choice .
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have a couple of well washed LL Bean flannel sheets that I got at a yard sale that I have put aside for when I make a quilt for my bed. These are nice and soft and heavy.

Flannel sheets are usually pretty good....I try to watch the sales at the end of winter and get the twin size....very economical for charity baby quilts and so far they have worn very well. I'll look for the MODA line....

I also have used Connecting Threads' flannel and was quilt pleased with it and the scarves I made with it turned our quite nice. I would recommend them highly and I just received an email from them with a multitude of new flannels......Check them out.

I had a problem with some beautiful flannel that I bought at the LQS. I washed it and dried it and when I was finished I noticed that there was a flaw done the center of the fabric. I had planned on using it for a whole cloth baby quilt, but, after finding the flaw down the center of it,I will have to use it in another manner. My point is, it just isn't JoAnn's or Hancock's. It can happen anywhere.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I use flannel for backing on all my baby quilts. I have bought at both Joann's & Hobby Lobby and not have a problem. Just lucky I guess.

I would use fleece instead of flannel any more. You can't depend on the quality of flannel these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Buying flannel is a crap shoot these days.. you just never know till its washed what you've got. I have such mixed results .. I gave up.
    Have to agree with you, it might look and feel great in the store, but resoults can be unpredictable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast